Access Web App on SharePoint - Auditing (1 Viewer)

travissmithoh

Local time
Today, 07:20
Does an Access 2016 Web App on SharePoint automatically support some sort of auditing? Some old Access 2010 posts seem to say yes, but when I connect to the SQL Azure database with Access, I don't seem the audit fields that they list.

Anyone have info on this?

zpy2

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:20
i am useing .net for publish and authenticated.what you mean audit?
keep record on who visit which page?

travissmithoh

Local time
An Access Web App is published through SharePoint, so SharePoint takes care of authentication and rights to the database. You also get your Access back-end converted to SQL Server. A lot of this is automatic.

I have read Sharepoint adds fields to the Access Table to track "Updated By User" and "Added By User" as well as the time, but like most SharePoint information, it may be outdated, or the process has changed 3 times since that version. I'm reading a Andrew Couch and a Jeff Conrad book on Access 2013, so hopefully I will find the answers soon.

Travis

AccessJunkie

Senior Managing Editor
Local time
Today, 04:20
Hi,

When you create and use Access 2010 style web databases, the data is all stored in SharePoint tables. Because of this, you automatically would get system fields such as Created By, Modified By, etc. Those system fields would automatically be filled in by the SharePoint authentication system.

Access 2013 and 2016 web apps, however are different. In the web apps, all data is stored in SQL tables. If you are on Office 365 the data is stored in SQL Azure tables. Besides that key difference compared to 2010 web databases, there is more of a separation from the data level and the UI level.

In Access web apps, the SQL tables don't have any context about who you are and therefore there is no concept of system fields like there are in 2010 web databases. One of the big reasons for the separation is that the data could be changed from any number of sources in like hybrid scenarios.

Does that answer your question?

--------------------
Jeff Conrad - Access Junkie - MVP Alumnus
Senior Content Developer - Modern Assistance and Support Experience - Microsoft Corporation

Author - Microsoft Access 2013 Inside Out
Author - Microsoft Access 2010 Inside Out
Co-author - Microsoft Office Access 2007 Inside Out
Access 2007/2010/2013 Info: http://www.AccessJunkie.com

----------
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/legal/Copyright/Default.aspx
----------

travissmithoh

Local time
Thanks Jeff, that helps a lot. I'm reading your InsideOUT book right now. I just skipped ahead to the UserDisplayName() part. I couldn't get the example to work, but I'm guessing that is what I would use to build a change tracking part to the tables.

I was hoping Access would do the basic tracking for me, but I'm thinking I could do the same thing with data macros and allow people to get to the datasheet, if they want.

I'm going to keep reading and experimenting.

nyaworld

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:20
I found a code online that has good auditing techniques, however, it saves the edits of records to a local table. I am trying to find out how to save to a linked table (Azure SQL) so that the information is saved online and not locally.

My work around would be to take this table and automatically append it to a linked table, but I haven't been able to find how to append data from local table to SQL table.

Any help will be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom