Access/Windows/Office 365 Version Checker (1 Viewer)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 14:29
When clients report issues or forum members ask questions, we often need to ask which version of Access/Windows/Office they are using.
Unfortunately, MS doesn't provide all the info in an accessible form that can be exported to a text file or similar.

I have created a utility that gets all the important info and displays it on a form:

The info can be exported to a text file

It can then be emailed by clients to me as the developer.
It could also be useful for forum members to upload this info with their questions.

The utility is available as a FREE Access add-in in ACCDE format from my website: https://www.isladogs.co.uk/avc-addin/index.html
Both 32-bit & 64-bit versions are provided. It works in all versions from 2010 onwards
Full installation instructions for using as an add-in are provided though it can also be used as a standalone app.

I hope it is useful to others

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Following feedback from users, I’ve now added the following:
  1. Copy to Clipboard feature - to make it even easier to paste the info into an email or forum post
  2. VBA References list - any missing references are marked as *BROKEN*
I’ve also tidied up the code partly to help the form load faster
The latest version is 2.67.
For more information and to download the add-in, see my web article: https://www.isladogs.co.uk/avc-addin/

As before the add-in is FREE and is available as 32-bit/64-bit ACCDE files for use with Access 2010 onwards

AccessVersionRefChecker.png

VBAReferences.png

PastedInfo.png

VBAReferencesLog.png

cheekybuddha

AWF VIP
Local time
Do you share the code of how to do all this, Colin?

Also, do you need Access 365 to use it, or will it work for older versions (eg A2K7) ?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time

Also, do you need Access 365 to use it, or will it work for older versions (eg A2K7) ?
As before the add-in is FREE and is available as 32-bit/64-bit ACCDE files for use with Access 2010 onwards
I did try with my 2007, but unrecognised format. :)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi David
The ACCDE files were created in A2010 so it will work in all versions from then onwards.
I tried converting the original files to A2007 format but there was an issue (as @Gasman has discovered)
As comparatively few people use A2007 these days, I didn't spend time trying to fix that
If there was sufficient demand, I could look into that in the future

Some of the info is obtained by standard (though sometimes obscure) VBA.
With one exception, the rest is obtained using registry calls - its partly a matter of working out where to look.
Also you need to use non-standard code to read certain registry keys using VBA
e.g. those in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\ClickToRun\Configuration
Then for some other info, there is the issue of registry redirect to handle for those like me on mixed bitness systems.

There is one item that inexplicably cannot be obtained from the registry or VBA functions
MS have agreed to provide code at some point that will allow that info to be extracted
For now, I obtain the Office YYMM version number by web scraping

So, as you can see there wasn't really much work involved! 🙄

I decided to only release it as an ACCDE add-in because I spent so many hours working out the various bits of code over the last year or so.
Of course it shouldn't have been necessary to do so . . . if only MS made the information easily accessible to all

However, I offered the original ACCDB version to the MVP group and have also passed it on to other selected developers
Feel free to contact me via email if you would like a copy

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 21:29
Another great creation Dr.Frankenstein.
it's .accde so nobody knows where you get it.
actually googling will give you a lot of hit.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Of course, much of the information is available by using Google but not all.
Feel free to use it if you wish ...or create your own version

EDIT:
Just uploaded a video on this to YouTube:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom