Access97 and WinXP Pro (1 Viewer)

ListO

Señor Member
Local time
Today, 10:19
I am about to upgrade to a new computer, and therefore a new operating system. Question is, will Access97 run OK on Windows XP Professional. Is there anything I must look out for. I'm hoping to not have to change to Access2002 right now, as I'm about to begin a big new project which requires some big databases I've written in '97.

-Curt

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:19
I haven't seen any posts regarding problems but in general, Access versions don't play well together especially when you install an older version on a system with a newer version already installed. Take a look at the solutions for making A97 and A2K co-exist to get an idea of the problems you may encounter. Following the techniques in the second article would probably be prudent.

WebCast: Co-existence When Access 97 and Access 2000 Are Installed on the Same Computer

ACC2000: How to Install Access 97 and Access 2000 on the Same Computer

ListO

Señor Member
Local time
Yes but...

I don't really plan to have two version of Access co-existing. I only would like to know if A97 and WinXP can play well together.

KevinM

Registered User.
Local time
I use A97 & A2k on Win XP Pro & Win 2000 and haven't had any problems.

rpadams

Registered User.
Local time
A97 & XP Pro work fine

When I upgraded to my new XP Pro computer, I had the Office 2002 bundle installed at a discount. Most of my clients still use either A97 or A2K. To get everything to work, I uninstalled the Office 2002 (before I registered it so I can use it later or on another computer) and then installed A97 and A2K in two different folders using the custom install on A2K.

I've had no problems EXCEPT that whatever version you use last, becomes the default the next time. I've set batch files to make sure the right version loads explicitely depending on the application.

ListO

Señor Member
Local time
Thanks for the information. I feel better already.

-Curt

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Sorry, I was assuming that you also had Office XP Pro installed. If you have any version of Office installed, you may have a runtime version of Access which will cause as much trouble as a retail version so before you install A97 try to open a db and see what happens. Then search for MSAccess.exe just to be sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom