Adding columns to a live Sharepoint Access database (1 Viewer)

JamesN

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:52
Hi,

I currently have a split database published to Sharepoint with the data being stored in lists. Currently about 20 users are operating a front end form and adding data simultaneously to a back end table.

I need to add some extra buttons to the front end form and extra data collection columns in the back end table. Am i able to add these columns without taking the users offline and adding a new version to the Sharepoint which they can move to? I won't be making any changes to the existing columns they are adding data to. Will this cause any issues?

I can take the users offline to make the change but would rather avoid if possible.

Thanks in advance

James

stopher

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 16:52
I've certainly added extra columns to sharepoint lists in a live environment without any issues. When you do this if you are using an Access front end you will need to refresh the sharepoint schema on each user - can't remember the option but right-click on the relevant table links in Access and you should see the option. Once refreshed, the FE will see the extra columns.

Afaik, sharepoint is built on an MS SQL engine. So, afaik, MS SQL locks the table when altering the table.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom