American English (1 Viewer)

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:45
There are many differences in meaning between English and American. for example Bum means different things on either side of the atlantic, as do many other words like pavement, fanny, pants etc. I am sure we could find many more examples with a little thought.

I'd like to suggest bumming a fag.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Today, 01:45
In the Americas we are participating in another major evolution of English, and it will serve to further distance us from the Queens English.

There is a strong potential that American English is evolving into Spanglish a combination of English and American (Both Americas) Spanish.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Yesterday, 22:45
I found Quebecois to be a hard language to learn because it s more Franglais then French.
I notice a big difference between England English and American English but I really dont see why people get so bent out of shape over it. As long as people understand the communication then it really does not make a difference. Some people will have to focus on learning more languages anyhow as the world economy is shifting, time to stop bitching about the spelling of 'colour' and learn some Hindi or Mandarin.

Honestly, English as a second language is really not that hard, if you put aside the freaking "th". That thing is unpronounceable. Way fewer grammar rules than French (my first language).

If you think there is a big difference between American and British English, you should see (or actually hear) the difference between France's and Quebec(Canada)'s French. Quebec people that goes to France are sometimes better understood speaking English, go figure...

People writing in English makes way fewer mistakes (not typos) than people writing in French. People over here want to pass laws to protect French language, yet they cannot write it properly!

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
The strength of superlatives is dynamic. They go through phases where they become common and other superlatives replace them. I supsect that the British usage lags behind other variants in this aspect Pommes are so difficult to impress.

Yes, but then we have high standards.

Brian

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:45
If you really want to confuse people, just remind them that in the USA, we park our cars in a driveway and drive our cares on a parkway.

Do so from a distance in case you invoke a head explosion.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
We've eaten in yours!

And which ones would that be?

Where I come from on the Texas Gulf Coast I think you will find many restaurants with cuisine that would match any in the world. Maybe not for their six star architecture or elegance, but if what you seek is good food.

Well sister, that is what you shall find.

One of the advantages to having a multicultural country is the variety of women, food, and music, just to name a few.

Maybe you Britts should give it a try, there’s nothing wrong with your women, of course, or your music, but your food sure could use some improvement. hehehe

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
San Antonio has some amazing restaurants! I can't wait to go back.

ChipperT

Banned in 13 Countries
Local time
San Antonio has some amazing restaurants! I can't wait to go back.
In all my travels in Europe the worst food (generally) I came across was in Northern Ireland (UK). Everything was overcooked, underseasoned and generally unhealthy. What kind of a meal would deep fried chips smothered in baked beans be? Of course, then there is haggis in Scotland...

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
In all my travels in Europe the worst food (generally) I came across was in Northern Ireland (UK). Everything was overcooked, underseasoned and generally unhealthy. What kind of a meal would deep fried chips smothered in baked beans be?...
MacDonalds:p
and who in their right mind would eat haggis anyway:eek:

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
I noticed that Thales did not say that he had eaten in any of our restaurants, so has he?

I've not eaten in loads of countries in the world but the 20ish that I have eaten in have had good and bad, well actually we didn't eat well in Israel but my daughter did so it just shows that visitors should not be too quick to judge.

Brian

ChipperT

Banned in 13 Countries
Local time
I noticed that Thales did not say that he had eaten in any of our restaurants, so has he?

I've not eaten in loads of countries in the world but the 20ish that I have eaten in have had good and bad, well actually we didn't eat well in Israel but my daughter did so it just shows that visitors should not be too quick to judge.

Brian
I haven't been to London since 2006 but there are some really good restaurants there. Those are mostly the up-scale "International cuisine" type. From my experience the chippers and local restaurants and take-aways still have the same bland, greasy and overcooked food that has been traditional English fare.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
and who in their right mind would eat haggis anyway:eek:
Nothing wrong with a good haggis with neaps and tatties. Not forgetting a dram or two of whisky to accompany it. :)

For the benefit of those not acquainted with the scottish dialect neaps = turnips and tatties = potatoes

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time

Brian

Hello Brian,

As I said earlier, I have heard about British Cuisine, not expereinced it. I would love to try it though.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
I haven't been to London since 2006 but there are some really good restaurants there. Those are mostly the up-scale "International cuisine" type. From my experience the chippers and local restaurants and take-aways still have the same bland, greasy and overcooked food that has been traditional English fare.

Ah London, been there done the UK.

Seriously I will leave it to a southerner to defend London's local restaurants.
I don't do chippers and take aways so can't comment but we have good, indifferent and probably poor local restaurants. However it is worth remembering that peoples' opinions differ so I am always reluctant to promote any establishment.

Have a laugh at my expense.

in San Gimignano we got talking to the Italian on the next table in a restaurant, during the conversation he moaned at the quality of his hotel, we said ours was good. We also said hello to him the next morning at breakfast. :eek:

In my defence his was the chauffered stretch Limo in the car park.

Brian

Last edited:

ChipperT

Banned in 13 Countries
Local time
For my fellow Americans who may have been confused at some terms in my last post:

chipper = a place that mainly sells fish and chips. Usually they are sold rolled up in a greasy newspaper cone or brown paper cone. How healthy is that???

take-away = take-out restaurant. Not like McDonalds, these places rarely have a place to sit and eat. Like our old "drive-ins" but you can't drive in.

You did not know that I am bilingual, did you?

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:45
It's the dialects that kill you.
I have heard both Brits and Scots that I had no clue what they were saying.

But I had the same problem last time I was in Boston also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom