Auto E Mail Notification From Access 2K

sjdibben

Local time
Today, 15:20
I'm currently building a Change Management and being relatively new to Access, I'm having to find out things as I go along.

I want the system to be able to send e mail notifications out to people when tasks need to authorised/actioned, but I don't know how to go about it. I think my table structure is okay, these's e mail addresses all over the place. However, the way I want the system to operate is the following:

1) Someone enters a new request and enters the 1st Authoriser. An e mail gets sent to this person.
2) The 1st authoriser authorises it (check box) and then a mail gets sent to the selected second authoriser.
3) The 2nd Authoriser authorises it (check box), assigns it, and a mail gets sent to the assignee.

Any thought on this would be greatly apreciated.

We have a Lotus Notes v6 e mail system, I don't know if this will prodice any problems??

Many thanks

sjdibben:

Do all these people have access to the database? If so, why not just give everyone a Tasks button? Also, on open of the DB, they could automatically be taken to their current open tasks list? Just thinking out loud...should I shut up?

If they don't all have access to the DB, then I don't know how the DB could have anything to do with the Lotus Notes mailing system or tracking the emails... unless you make an email account that is the database and, upon receipt of an email with a specific subject line...geeze. That sounds like an awful lot of specific coding...

Do you use a network where your users logon?

Many Thanks

Sonny:

In answer to your question yes we have a network where everyone logs on.

Dreamboat:

I'm liking your suggestions very much. Yes everyone who needs to authorise a task or carry out a task will have access to the database. So having a current tasks list would work. I'm assuming this could be easily done i.e run a query for the current person logged on?

As for the e mail side of things, my boss said he would like e mails sent out since it gives a more proactive approach to it all, as in informing people when they have tasks rather than relying on people to have to go into the database to check. I don't mind having to do a lot of coding on it really, but bare in mind that I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to Access, much more of a UNIX and SQL programmer myself!

Do you think it can be done or am I biting off more than I can chew here?

You know...I should probably watch what I say. I'm a database development project manager, not a coder. So while I have great ideas on how something should be done, I can't help do a lot of it. So sorry!

However, many of these forum softwares send you one email, regardless of how many posts were made to your topic, until you log in again. Perhaps the email could be as simple as "Check your tasks."

I would think, yes, a form that pops up on open of the database. It should provide the task list by the logged in user's name. I'm sure there's people here who know how to get that.

Best thing you can do is break YOUR tasks down, and ask the questions here in the appropriate forums. Something like "What expression can I put in my query to get the current user's records? The field name is MyUser. Do I need VBA?"

I use a fairly simple method to send emails out with my db. I also use it for tasks assigned. You can take a look at how I do it. Its not 100% what you need but it grabs the user networkID on the main form, plus I use the ID & email address for a cbo on the task form. Take a look.....

Attachments

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom