Can you function without coffee? (1 Viewer)

NJudson

Who farted?
Local time
Today, 15:17
Our company is in the process of constructing a new corporate office and we will make the move in a couple weeks. Pictures of the development have been posted on our intranet and I find it kind of humurous to see that instead of the 2 little coffee makers we currently have the new office has 4 coffee bars with what looks like enough space for multiple coffe makers on each one.

Personally, I find coffee quite repulsive yet so many people enjoy it. I think it's funny to see nearly everyone flock around the coffee maker like a bunch of mindless sheep beckoning their liquid master for their next fix. I'm glad I don't drink that putrid stuff. :D

KenHigg

Local time
NJudson said:
Our company is in the process of constructing a new corporate office and we will make the move in a couple weeks. Pictures of the development have been posted on our intranet and I find it kind of humurous to see that instead of the 2 little coffee makers we currently have the new office has 4 coffee bars with what looks like enough space for multiple coffe makers on each one.

Personally, I find coffee quite repulsive yet so many people enjoy it. I think it's funny to see nearly everyone flock around the coffee maker like a bunch of mindless sheep beckoning their liquid master for their next fix. I'm glad I don't drink that putrid stuff. :D

It could be worse, everyone could be drinking tea :eek:

NJudson

Who farted?
Local time
KenHigg said:

Hmmmm....I dislike both coffee and tea equally so I'm not sure which is the lesser of two evils. :p At least tea doesn't seem to have the cult following that coffee does. However, I'm sure if tea produced the sort of dependency that coffee does then perhaps it would.

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Today, 14:17
I love coffee. Both of my parents were big coffee drinkers but I find it interesting that I'm the only one of my siblings that picked it up. But, it has to be GOOD coffee. For instance, I used to grind my own beans and bring my coffee to work in a thermos. Once I drank it all, it was water the rest of the day for me. I ran out of that stuff and I haven't bought any more yet, so I've just been doing without. I guess that means that I don't HAVE to have it every morning. :)

KenHigg

Local time
NJudson said:
...tea doesn't seem to have the cult following ...

Associate with anything tha Collin does and you could be quilty of cult activities...

Bodisathva

Registered User.
Local time
Since I quit smoking two years ago, I have developed a greater appreciation for the true taste of good coffee. I've also noticed that as time goes on, the more I can taste. IMHO it is impossible to find a good tasting quality coffee for under $8/lb. Personally, I prefer a Jamaican Blue Mountain. Normally about $45/lb, but you can find good blends in the $8-$10 range...and none of that yuppie flavored crap from Starbucks, either. Nothing severe on the consumption...three mugs each morning.

Last edited:

NJudson

Who farted?
Local time
Bodisathva said:
...and none of that yuppie flavored crap from Starbucks, either. Nothing severe on the consumption...three mugs each morning.

That's funny. It's that "yuppie flavored crap" that people have tried to convince me to drink. They philosephy was that I should be able to drink it since you really couldn't taste the coffee very strongly with all that choco-whipped super latte junk. :rolleyes:

Some co-workers drink anywhere from 10-20 cups a day. :eek: Might as well hook a catheder (sp?) up with that much to drink.

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
NJudson said:
10-20 cups a day

Yikes. My Dad used to drink coffee morning, noon, and night and ended up getting a severe bleeding ulcer because it was just too much. I always limited myself to what I brought in my thermos, plus I don't make it at home to drink since my husband doesn't like it either. Since I work only 4 days a week that kind of serves to regulate the amount that I drink.

Of course, that only applies when I have my coffee in stock, which I don't right now. :rolleyes: Maybe I should order some, it's been almost a year... :p

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:17
KenHigg said:

The best place for that stuff is in the Boston harbor.:eek:

KenHigg

Local time
MrsGorilla said:
Yikes. My Dad used to drink coffee morning, noon, and night and ended up getting a severe bleeding ulcer because it was just too much. I always limited myself to what I brought in my thermos, plus I don't make it at home to drink since my husband doesn't like it either. Since I work only 4 days a week that kind of serves to regulate the amount that I drink.

Of course, that only applies when I have my coffee in stock, which I don't right now. :rolleyes: Maybe I should order some, it's been almost a year... :p

And when everyone wants to know why you have the jitters you can blame NJudson for b b b b br br br br bringing it up...:eek:

lmnop7854

Quittin' Time
Local time
I absolutely love coffee, but it absolutely hates me. I don't know if it is the caffeine, or the oils in the coffee, but it destroys my stomach. I don't think it is the caffeine, because even decaf bothers me. And my BF makes the most delectable coffee around. He grinds his own beans, and combines a bunch of flavors of them at the local grocery store, and it is so hard for me to pass up. But I have been off coffee for a long time for that reason. I drink a cup once in a while, but I have a hard time with even 1 cup 2 days in a row.

However, the BF goes up and down between 3 and 6 cups a day. He will make a pot of coffee at 5 PM and says it doesn't disturb his sleep. Hoo-hah, I say.

Lisa

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
KenHigg said:
And when everyone wants to know why you have the jitters you can blame NJudson for b b b b br br br br bringing it up...:eek:

:D I never had that problem with coffee.

This is where I've bought my coffee for the past few years, and it's the best tasting I've run across.

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
KenHigg said:
This is where I get mine...:eek:

Well, look at the bright side. If you never buy any from where I get mine then you'll never know what you're missing. :D

KenHigg

Local time
MrsGorilla said:
Well, look at the bright side. If you never buy any from where I get mine then you'll never know what you're missing. :D

This is where I get mine sometimes:

NJudson

Who farted?
Local time
While I can't share anything about quality of coffee I can say that prior to my honeymoon my wife and I drank Jose Cuervo tequila (not often...maybe once every few months we'd drink) and now after the honeymoon we can't hardly touch the crap. While down in Mexico for our honeymoon we tried Don Julio tequila and it was the best and that is the only tequila we will drink. Well, it's the only tequila we'll drink straight up anyway. Unfortunately it is about $50 a for a 750ml bottle; whereas, Jose Cuervo only runs about $17. All I can say is Julio kicks Cuervo's butt with a super Chuck Norris roundhouse kick.

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:17
I don't particularly like the taste of coffee, I absolutely detest caffine, and I seem to be very suceptible to burns in my mouth, so I have to wait several minutes for any hot drink to cool off before I can even sip it.

Occasionally I'll drink some decaffinated hot tea, mostly on cold days or if I'm sick. I like iced tea very much but, again, it must be decaf.

And yes, Cuervo is suitable only for making margaritas and even then is only passable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom