Conflicts with anti-virus software (1 Viewer)

ledgerr.rob

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:12
Access 2007
Windows Vista
Norton Anti-virus

A week ago my norton anti-virus account ran out. I know, I know it's bad to have those things lapse. But, when it lapsed and i tried to open an Access DB it would really struggle. Many times it would time out and cause access to go non-responsive.

I tried several different DB files, uninstalling MS office, and ensured all updates were correct. None of these things seemed to allow access to open a file any better. Now, sometimes the file would open ok but this was rare. Most of the time it struggled.

Well today i renewed my antivirus subscription, updated it and ran a scan. No viruses or other bad things. I go to open a DB file, and with no issue at all it opens, when yesterday the same DB failed to open.

I was wondering if others have had experiences with antivirus programs causing issues with access.

I'm just a home user, not using on a network, nor have i split any of my databases.

rob

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:12
My long held impression of Norton AV was that it is a bloated piece of rubbish. However I have been told that they completely wrote it a couple of years ago and it was now a good product.

Your experience suggests that it is still poorly constructed, intrusive software. Not surprising really. Their programming culture was unlikely to have changed.

I use Microsoft Security Essentials at home.

Catalina

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:12
I have been using Avast Free Edition for years, updates almost every day.
Never had any problems. Wouldn't dream of switching to Norton, not even if they paid me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom