Crashing database (1 Viewer)

Paul Chernoff

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:16
So I just swapped the phone with another and see if this phone has a problem connecting itself to the PB. I have other phones I can swap in once I program them.

Paul Chernoff

Registered User.
Local time
So swapped phones and the phone that was with the person whose workstation I supported is not working properly. So I will work on replacing that phone tomorrow.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:16
Sounds like you are saying "hardware" with respect to a bum phone. If that fixes it, please don't forget to come back and (a) close the thread and (b) confirm that in this case your problem was hardware causing flaky connections.

Paul Chernoff

Registered User.
Local time
I replaced the phone this morning and thought that we got it because no crashes today. Until I tried to get on the database. I can't get on, I get the error. Had someone else try to get one, the same problem. But the person currently on the database, who has the replaced phone, is working happily away.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:16
So suddenly it is TWO people out and one person in, and the hardware has been shuffled? And one of the two people who are out DIDN'T get new hardware?

Now it is imperative to get your people to carefully note the time on their system clocks as to when these crashes occur, so that you can look in the system logs (that is "generic system" as opposed to only the SYSTEM logs by that name). If you have a desktop clock gadget, that would work as a time source. The date/time info in the lower right at the end of the task bar is accurate enough because unless you have a hardware cascade failure, there will only be one or two logs in a given minute on a normal machine.

Something else to check. If the person IN the database gets out, does the .LDB file go away? And once that person is out, can you suddenly get IN? Or can that other person get in? This could be any of several issues having to do with permissions. We need more data about what works across your set of users.

Paul Chernoff

Registered User.
Local time
The only hardware that has been shuffled was a phone. No computers were moved.

I'm going to check on what you suggest.

Paul Chernoff

Registered User.
Local time
The database has stopped crashing. we made a number of changes. I put the database with programming code on the local drives and only left the data file on the file server. That reduced problems. Upgrades to VMware also helped. Staff knows to quit from Access if they are walking away from their computer for any length of time. Meanwhile updates to Windows 10 and Access might have helped. Fortunately all is quiet and I will figure out how to close this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom