Date not passing from table to form (1 Viewer)

gizmogeek

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:06
I have the date set in the table and it shows up fine in the tblDate cell but doesn't pass through to the txttblDate in the form. I did have it working just fine until I rebuilt my database

John Big Booty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 23:06
Probably a silly question: but is the field on the form bound to the correct underlying field in the table?

gizmogeek

Registered User.
Local time
Yes it's bound. I did have it working before I rebuilt the database. It was as simple as adding Date() and "short date" to the properties of that field in the table.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 06:06
Yes it's bound. I did have it working before I rebuilt the database. It was as simple as adding Date() and "short date" to the properties of that field in the table.

What do you mean "adding Date()" to the properties of that field in the table? I assume you mean default value and that will not be there for any records that were added before the default was specified.

So, can you be a little more detailed about what this field is in your table, what it means, etc. Is it just the date the record was added?

gizmogeek

Registered User.
Local time
I am attaching a screenshot for you.

Thanks!

Attachments

• date.gif
    date.gif
    35.5 KB · Views: 32

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 15:06
This still does not define the problem. Stating what doesn't happen does not help outsiders (us) to determine what was desired and what is going on.

1. What do you do
  2. what do you expect to see
  3. and what actually happens.
r
(You other post about autonumber likewise states "doesn't work" , which again is of no use for outsiders).

gizmogeek

Registered User.
Local time
Okay. I get the date in the table and hope it passes to the form. I don't see it on the form upon opening like it did before I rebuilt the database. I showed you how the properties were set in the table and they used to pass through to the form. If there is another way to do it that would be fine. Researched and didn't find anything that actually worked.

As far as the auto numbers. Nothing happens at all. I believe I stated that I would like to see the PO show up on the form. I don't care if it's whether I open it or later but there needs to be a PO on each form and multiple users will be using it.

John Big Booty

AWF VIP
Local time
If you have bound the field on the form to the correct field in the table. Make sure that the fore and back colours are not set to the same value.

If you are able to post a copy of the DB, I'm pretty sure that someone here will be able to sort the problem out in short order.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Are you expecting to see the default value in an empty record? You won't see it until you start typing.

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
...Are you expecting to see the default value in an empty record? You won't see it until you start typing...
And as Bob said, you also will not see it on existing Records if the Default Value is one of the things you 'added' when you modified your file; it will only appear on New Records added after that time.

Linq ;0)>

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 15:06
AS we see, the problem is still undefined.

Gizmogeek - we cannot read minds. We do not have remote viewing abilities. We do not know what "get the date in the table" actually means.

You have to supply enough SPECIFIC information for another person to be able to follow the ENTIRE set of specific steps from beginning to end - WHAT TO TYPE AND WHERE, WHICH BUTTON TO PUSH - to recreate your problem.

gizmogeek

Registered User.
Local time
I did try to add information and save it but no date. I do see the little calendar next to the box and don't want to see that either.

I have attached my database as asked.
Thanks!

Attachments

• POweb.zip
    67.9 KB · Views: 35

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 06:06
First off, your table structure needs fixing. It is NOT normalized. You are using a spreadsheet approach with a relational database. You need to stop thinking short and wide (like a spreadsheet) and think thin and tall. You have repeating fields like tblQuantityOrdered, tblQuantityOrdered_2, tblQuantityOrdered_3, etc. and more like that. You need at least one, if not more tables and you need to use at least one, if not more, subforms to enter the data. And your quantity fields and price fields should be NUMERIC, not TEXT.

And your date is working fine as long as you enable code and macros. It will only put in the default date on NEW records, not existing ones. That's how defaults work. If you want something in an existing record that doesn't have a date, you need to manually enter it.

gizmogeek

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Boblarson! I changed all to numbers that needed to be changed. I do have more forms to create but had 3 issues that I wanted worked out first. I will enable macros and vba and let you know how I make out.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Most people like the date picker. You can type in a date or use the picker to scroll to the correct month and day. It is one of those innocuous helpful features since it doesn't get in the way. You can turn it off by changing the "Show Date Picker" property in the property sheet.

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
...Most people like the date picker. You can type in a date or use the picker to scroll to the correct month and day...
And if you make it the only way to enter a date, it means that incorrectly formatted dates cannot be entered!

Why do you not want to use it?

Linq ;0)>

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Actually, Access will not allow invalid dates in ANY control that is either bound to a date/time field or has a date/time Format set for it.

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
Well, true, but unless you want those nasty, esoteric messages that Access puts out, you have write code to handle the error of entering an incorrectly formatted 'date.'

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Actually, Access will not allow invalid dates in ANY control that is either bound to a date/time field or has a date/time Format set for it.

Actually Access will allow invalid dates to be entered. It is a real trap for the unwary.

If the regional settings are dd/mm/yyyy and an invalid date is entered that is valid in mm/dd/yy format it will quietly accept it and automatically change it to dd/mm/yyyy.

It also does it with dates that are valid in yy/mm/dd. I found dates in a table recorded as 4/2/1930 and eventually realised the operator had entered 30/2/04 which was the date written on the original paper form.

It isn't just Access. The date validation in Windows itself is the problem. One of the dumb ways Microsoft thinks is helpful.

gizmogeek

Registered User.
Local time
I did enable macros and vba but no date still showing on records even with new record. I've decided to leave the date picker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom