DaVinci Code

Rich said:
When did Russia start a war? :confused:

The Soviets took over half of Europe and ruled by force for 50 years. I guess they didn't need to start any wars there.

The supplied the Vietcong with weapons and training, no need there.

They build short range nuclear weapons in your back yard. Maybe not a war, but hello.

And of course there was Afghanistan. Oh, but I guess you call that a civil war.

jsanders said:
The Soviets took over half of Europe and ruled by force for 50 years.
I think you'll find a guy called Adolf invaded them first:rolleyes:

The supplied the Vietcong with weapons and training, no need there.
You mean while Uncle Sam was arming and in fact fighting on the other side:rolleyes:

They build short range nuclear weapons in your back yard. Maybe not a war, but hello.

Yes and we also had the benefit of Uncle Sam's missiles too

And of course there was Afghanistan. Oh, but I guess you call that a civil war.

You mean when Uncle Sam was mightly gladdened for the Jihad against Russia and armed the Taliban up to the teeth to defeat the evil empire?

I wanted to talk about a movie, not start a Holy War. However...

Of course its about the Catholic church. For the first 1400 years of Christianity, it was the ONLY Christian Church.

Please Please Please always remember. On the cover of the book it says quite clearly A NOVEL. It's a work of fiction like "Interview With A Vampire". The book the DaVinci code is like all great historical novels. It had SOME truth in it. There is lots of evidence to point to Mary Magdeline as Christ's wife. Then again there's plenty to point she was not.

I believe in freedom of religion. That also includes the right not to have a religion.

Rich said:
When did Russia start a war? :confused:
Hmmm...
Kraj said:
What religious doctorine encouraged Communist Russia or Shinto-Buddhist Japan to go to war?
I don't see the word "start" here.

Or how about the Third Crusade when the Knights Templar (remember them) re-directed the whole thing away from Jeruselem and sacked Constanople instead. For fans of the book, thats where the KT got their money from, not from keeping the Mary Magdeline secret.
While we're on the subject, the Pope did not order the wholesale slaughter of the Knights on Friday the 13th. It was ordered by King Phillip of France who wanted their money. The other Kings of Europe saw what an easy payday it was and quickly followed suit.

Kraj said:
Hmmm...

I don't see the word "start" here.
Well if you want to split hairs I'd say a Christian doctrine encouraged the Russians to go to war

Rich said:
Well if you want to split hairs I'd say a Christian doctrine encouraged the Russians to go to war
And which doctorine was that? And for which war?

Kraj said:
And for which war?
For the purposes of this discussion, the one known as WW11

And which doctorine was that?
That's the one where a Christian nation invaded Russia, along with one or two others on the way, of course though, the Russians weren't exactly encouraged by the events

Rich said:
For the purposes of this discussion, the one known as WW11

That's the one where a Christian nation invaded Russia, along with one or two others on the way, of course though, the Russians weren't exactly encouraged by the events

A singular characteristic of some of the Brits that post in this forum is to confuse a nation that is mostly Christian for the actions of their government.

The Germans were definitely Christians, but there is much evidence that the Nazi leadership was at least partially Satan worshipers.

Your own country, which incidentally has had a… shall we say, a tenuous relationship with Christianity, ruled the planet with an iron fist. Their rule then and subsequent empires since had little to do with actual Christianity.

The worship of Christ in my life, and I suspect many Christians, brings cherished peace, health, and a feeling of well being.

All gifts from God; for any, willing to look for his grace.

Sorry, cheep shot. But the book and movie dose seem to have been a bit of a "big seller" in the way that some very good thrillers are not.
Think the subject of divinity, our own or others, is a subject which has a much larger following that may are ready to admit.

jsanders said:
A singular characteristic of some of the Brits that post in this forum is to confuse a nation that is mostly Christian for the actions of their government.
Well the German nation was certainly behind the Nazis at the time of WW11

Your own country, which incidentally has had a… shall we say, a tenuous relationship with Christianity,

Actually we're still defined as a Christian nation and oddly the majority of us, even atheists, hold true to the "thou shalt not kill" commandment.
Do you know of any other Christian nation that holds true to that commandment?

ruled the planet with an iron fist.
No just instilled a sense of discipline, justice and law and order

Kraj said:
Yes, I remember that thread. I also remember that I suggested you may have been looking for the wrong thing in the wrong place.
Yes I can see that searching for answers about religion over a long period, and questioning 'christians' and vicars in many churches / denominations, speaking with the UK's top evangelist personally in his own home, going to a Billy Graham concert is looking for the wrong thing in the wrong place?:confused:

At least I can safely say I gave it a bloody good shot before I finally realised what utter rubbish it is - it [the bible] is as much a work of fiction as the Da Vinci code.:rolleyes:

I now lead my life according to my rules and morals and believe me it is much more "christian" than many so called christians I know or read about or see on TV. Ok, I may go to "hell" like I was told my Mum will, but I know the life I lead and the morals I apply.

Col

Last edited:
Kraj said:
Religion is not, and never has been, a motivation to go to war;
Except in Northern Ireland, Israel / Palestine, India / Pakistan / Kashmir, The Crusades and countless other conflicts since the Nazareth illusionist was first invented.

Col

jsanders said:
So distancing yourself (as usual) makes it ok? In the UK we accept we (our government) makes bad decisions, but we (the majority of voters) voted them in so we accept we are part of it and we make bloody sure Tony knows when he's made a bad move.
All I ever hear Americans say is "I didn't vote for Bush", "Nothing to do with me" etc
The US, armed terrorists worldwide when it suited them (still does) - they even armed the IRA to kill British troops and blow up innocent UK civilians.:rolleyes:

Your own country, which incidentally has had a… shall we say, a tenuous relationship with Christianity,
Not sure what you mean exactly:confused:

The worship of Christ in my life, and I suspect many Christians, brings cherished peace, health, and a feeling of well being.
Jolly good show. If thats what you want to believe.

Col

selenau837 said:
THink about it, without all the Hype over this movie, would it have done as well in the box office? All they are doing by protesting and such is making the movie sells go WAY up.
Yes, you have to hand it to Dan Brown - what a bloody good idea for a book and film. Wish I'd thought of it:rolleyes:

Col

Returning to the topic, I offered up my thoughts on this appalling piece of literature here. For anyone who thinks it is the best book they've ever read, I implore you to read more...read anything, Jeez!

As for the film, I've no intention of seeing it as, for one, I couldn't stand the book for being an unorganised sprawl of clumsy wording and mistakes. The film, of course, would not suffer from textual problems but, on reading many reviews of the film - fans and "professional" critics alike - it would appear that Ron Howard has made a complete arse of adapting what is essentially a pre-written film. Overlong, wooden acting, and laughable dialogue seem to be the way this film will be remembered; if, after the summer, it's remembered at all.

SJ McAbney said:
Returning to the topic, I offered up my thoughts on this appalling piece of literature here. For anyone who thinks it is the best book they've ever read, I implore you to read more...read anything, Jeez!

As for the film, I've no intention of seeing it as, for one, I couldn't stand the book for being an unorganised sprawl of clumsy wording and mistakes. The film, of course, would not suffer from textual problems but, on reading many reviews of the film - fans and "professional" critics alike - it would appear that Ron Howard has made a complete arse of adapting what is essentially a pre-written film. Overlong, wooden acting, and laughable dialogue seem to be the way this film will be remembered; if, after the summer, it's remembered at all.

I thought it (the book) was a modestly enjoyable book.

And you’re absolutely correct it was obviously written to be adapted to the big screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom