Directions Atlanta (1 Viewer)

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Today, 06:16
on Sept 21 I am driving up from Ocala, FL to Chattanooga, TN. My heart is already starting to beat faster just thinking about Atlanta. Anybody out there have any great secrete about the best route to take, taking into consideration of 20 miles per gal, and $4.00 a gal. A associate of mine goes 100 miles out of his way, but he gets 40 miles per gal.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:16
Here is an ugly detour that completely avoids Atlanta. Your criteria about mileage, however, says this probably isn't so good.

Ocala, FL - Take I-75 N through/past Gainesville, FL to Macon GA.
Macon, GA - Take US 80 W through Columbus, GA through Tuskegee, AL to Shorter, AL
Shorter, AL - Take I-85 W to Montgomery, AL
ALTERNATE POSSIBILITY: From Macon, GA - US 80 W to Columbus, take US 280 W to Opelika, GA take I-85 W to Montgomery, AL
Montgomery, AL - Take I-65 N to Birmingham, AL
Birmingham, AL - Take I-59 N to Chattanooga, TN

THE ABOVE IS A WIDE, SWEEPING DETOUR that avoids Atlanta. It goes WAY out of the way, probably more than 150 miles, but is the best route I can see to stay on good, well-traveled roads and yet avoid that sprawl of a city. I have no idea how to do this in only 100 miles of detour. May I ask why you are preparing for your coronary if you go through Atlanta?

The most direct route is I-75 N to Atlanta, then use I-285 which is the "ring road" around the city, then continue on I-75 N.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 11:16
What's wrong with atlanta? In the UK we are encouraged to go there for a holiday.
Col

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Here is an ugly detour that completely avoids Atlanta. Your criteria about mileage, however, says this probably isn't so good.

Ocala, FL - Take I-75 N through/past Gainesville, FL to Macon GA.
Macon, GA - Take US 80 W through Columbus, GA through Tuskegee, AL to Shorter, AL
Shorter, AL - Take I-85 W to Montgomery, AL
ALTERNATE POSSIBILITY: From Macon, GA - US 80 W to Columbus, take US 280 W to Opelika, GA take I-85 W to Montgomery, AL
Montgomery, AL - Take I-65 N to Birmingham, AL
Birmingham, AL - Take I-59 N to Chattanooga, TN

THE ABOVE IS A WIDE, SWEEPING DETOUR that avoids Atlanta. It goes WAY out of the way, probably more than 150 miles, but is the best route I can see to stay on good, well-traveled roads and yet avoid that sprawl of a city. I have no idea how to do this in only 100 miles of detour. May I ask why you are preparing for your coronary if you go through Atlanta?

The most direct route is I-75 N to Atlanta, then use I-285 which is the "ring road" around the city, then continue on I-75 N.
two hours longer, $50.00 more. Might be worth it.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
What's wrong with atlanta? In the UK we are encouraged to go there for a holiday.
Col
Atlanta is nice to visit. If you go see the Atlanta Underground, Atlanta Speed Way, much more. The problem for men is the traffic driving thru.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The truth is, NONE of the major cities you would hit are nice during rush hour. Both Montgomery and Birmingham get REALLY busy during their rush hours. (I have family in Birmingham and visit fairly often, which is how I know.)

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
The truth is, NONE of the major cities you would hit are nice during rush hour. Both Montgomery and Birmingham get REALLY busy during their rush hours. (I have family in Birmingham and visit fairly often, which is how I know.)
I think what I will do is get a motel just short of Atlanta and start out in the morning around 4 am. Any advise about east or west 285

Cotswold

Local time
Today, 11:16
$4 a gallon.........I wish

In England for 97 Ron petrol we are paying equivalent of $9.60 a gallon ( £1.73 a litre Shell VPower).
Probably not many years away from the £10 gallon and nearly managed that when Loopy of Leningrad started the Ukraine fiasco

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Probably not many years away from the £10 gallon and nearly managed that when Loopy of Leningrad started the Ukraine fiasco
And the Biden crime family contributed to the price hike by shutting down US oil production putting us in the market buying which increases the upward pressure instead of selling which we used to do under Trump which increased the downward pressure.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
And the Biden crime family contributed to the price hike by shutting down US oil production putting us in the market buying which increases the upward pressure instead of selling which we used to do under Trump which increased the downward pressure.
Pat, I would vote for you for president. Last Sunday in Texas I got a good laugh. I said I want you folks to know I do not preach politics. I think all the woman in this church are beautiful. I think all the woman in America are beautiful, except Nancy Polise and Hillary Clinton.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Thanks Dick. 85 million more to go and I've got it won;) Unless the Dems find more ballots three weeks after election day. It is just amazing how that happens. It is happening in the town next to me as we speak. It just never ends.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Thanks Dick. 85 million more to go and I've got it won;) Unless the Dems find more ballots three weeks after election day. It is just amazing how that happens. It is happening in the town next to me as we speak. It just never ends.
Pat, right now I don't have much hope for president Trump getting elected, in 2024 for a variety of reasons. 1. Rino's. I have more respect for some dem's, than for Rino's. 2. Even if the polls are way off, how can that many citizens can't easily see, as you pointed out, the reason they can't afford gas, and these people vote. 4 most most of all, if republicans could not stop the vote tampering last time, then what chance do we have this time.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The Republicans didn't want to stop the steal. They were very happy that the evil Orange man didn't win. Notice I didn't say lost. They don't want him to win this time either. However, I think Biden is sufficiently unpopular that if he is in fact the candidate, the Dems won't be able to manufacture enough bogus ballots and slip them in undetected. I'm hoping there will be eyes and cameras on all the relevant counting centers in the swing states. It only took 20,000 votes in SIX cities to steal the 2020 election. There have been court decisions in at least three states which would have given Trump their electoral votes if the courts were honest.

I'm not sure how the Dems are going to keep Kamala off the ticket. I don't know what the law is. If Biden wins the Democrats' primary because of the cheating way the Dems run their primaries and then can't run because they off him to stop the criminal investigation into the Biden crime family, does that automatically make Kamala the nominee and she picks a VP and runs? Or, do the Dems need to get Biden off the ticket early enough for Kamala to be in the primary and then they cheat to make her win (she couldn't even get 1% of the primary vote in 2020) or leave her to her own devices and take their chances with someone else. I would say that RFK Jr has a fighting chance against Trump only because he isn't crazy. That will capture the independents who believe the bad stuff about Trump. Who knows how RFK would turn out. He is a lifelong politician and just as much a piece of dog doo doo as the rest of them so he may just pick up where the Biden crime family left off if they offer him shares in all the offshore LLC's. The Kennedy's aren't exactly clean. There's even a chance that the mob "won" the election for JFK and we won't even talk about the murderer Teddy. The Biden crime family LLC's must be getting a ton of money from Ukraine given that we have zero oversight of what is happening to the billions we are tearing up into little pieces and throwing into the hands of the Ukrainian kleptocrats.

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
@Pat - Got to love how you take a conversation about travel and turn it into a Dem vs Rep argument and basically sideline the original conversation.

To be fair, Dick7Access brought up that he would vote for Pat as President and her humorously oriented response (only need 85 million more votes) led to the diversion, in which Dick participated. So maybe it wasn't ALL on Pat. Besides which, I think Dick's question about avoiding Atlanta has run its course. When that happens, a little sidelining is commonplace.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
@Pat - Got to love how you take a conversation about travel and turn it into a Dem vs Rep argument and basically sideline the original conversation.
I love it also: It helps me remember that maybe there's a few people that haven't gone completely insane.
I have another political comment will not post it now, or here. 1. to keep Doc happy. 2 also just checked in to my hotel in Stockbridge, GA just south of Atlanta, and last 14 miles at 2 miles an hour. I booked here and plan to leave at 4:00 in the morning

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
last 14 miles at 2 miles an hour

DAMN, that's ugly. North of us is the city of Baton Rouge, Louisiana's state capitol, and due to a combination of construction and apartment traffic, I-10's Essen Lane interchange traffic would lose a race to a snail on a salted road. But your report implies 7 hours. That's insane. I'm surprised that we don't here about more road-rage shootings in Atlanta.

Dick, you don't have to make me happy politically. If you want to blast any candidate, go for it. But from your blow-by-blow here, get some sleep first. You'll need that more. Good luck on your travels, bud!

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
DAMN, that's ugly. North of us is the city of Baton Rouge, Louisiana's state capitol, and due to a combination of construction and apartment traffic, I-10's Essen Lane interchange traffic would lose a race to a snail on a salted road. But your report implies 7 hours. That's insane. I'm surprised that we don't here about more road-rage shootings in Atlanta.

Dick, you don't have to make me happy politically. If you want to blast any candidate, go for it. But from your blow-by-blow here, get some sleep first. You'll need that more. Good luck on your travels, bud!
I was referring to not listing it on a separate

I was humorously referring to listing it on a new thread. Besides I have to be careful as I have meetings with churches with different political persuasion

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You're quite welcome. I originally commented on why the price of gas is what it is because the price of gas was the reason for the thread in the first place. Do you disagree with any of that? Was it Biden who cancelled leases, broke contracts, and stopped drilling? Or are we living on different planets? I'm not sure which part of the uni-party you belong to although I could make an educated guess. Why would this be a partisan issue? I would think anyone who has to drive to work which is most of what remains of the former middle class, would be at least a little put out at a President who made me choose between shoes for the children and getting to work so I could at least provide food. OOPS, can't do that any more either. Something to do with trucks and the cost of distributing that food we can't afford to buy any more. Are you OK with the price of gas rising again to unaffordable levels because our government CHOOSES to impose that burden on "We the People" for the sake of some misguided solution to a non-problem? Most of us are not. You might want to blame Dick for winding me up after that.

It really is Dick's fault so don't pick on me;) I'm feeling like a snowflake today. If you pick on me, you must be a racist.

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The point was, as of post 10 you hijacked the thread from its original purpose (there was no political crap until you posted). I'm an admin on 3 sites, and this would have been dealt with promptly at most other sites. I see AWF moderators don't care, I guess it is normal with you based on several other posts of yours that I check out, and protect their own. So be it. I won't waste my time here anymore. I thought the site was more governed than it obviously is.

And provoking people with your replies won't work with me. Sorry to burst your bubble. I'm not here to take political sides, argue, which seems to be your objective. I guess this is your release platform.

I was here to help others with their questions, but I can just as easily do it elsewhere with less of this superfluous spammy posts.

Take care.

I've got to point out that we are talking about a non-technical post in the Watercooler section, which is intended to be chatty. If we see that kind of behavior in the technical areas, we try to steer it back to topic fairly quickly. You, who only joined the site less than a week ago and have only posted 4 times (2 of which are kvetching about chatty posts in the Watercooler) should perhaps spend more time in the specific-topic forums before you judge us. You are looking at a VERY SMALL slice of our overall site. Compare our popularity to other sites.

We are glad to have people here who want to help with questions, but we are also a site whose owner tends to be more free-wheeling in what he allows vs. some other forums that get persnickety about the tone of the posts. We have a rule that you don't directly attack other members and we ask you to hold down vulgarities. There are rules about unauthorized advertising and excessive posting of links to commercial sites in a non-relevant manner. We consider unannounced cross-site posting to be rude. But we try to be friendly and some of us "know" each other well enough to BE a bit chatty now and then. I've been around here for twenty years. I stayed because this site is (a) people-friendly and (b) tech-savvy.

You say "AWF moderators don't care." Ah, but we do. Pat, whom you berated, is herself a moderator. She knows the rules. Our rules work to keep us from being so heavy-handed that getting a tech answer is like pulling teeth, particularly if the first answer isn't quite right. Here, we loosen our ties and kick off the uncomfortable shoes.

Therefore, @ProgrammerFreak, you are welcome to stay and help - but be mindful of the sub-forum in which you are posting. Because between the Watercooler and the Politics & Current Events forums, any topic that stays civil is fair game for discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom