Distinguishing between two Access instances (1 Viewer)

BeeJayEff

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 16:40
I develop and maintain an operational Access database. To provide various support functions (such as analysis, importing, ad hoc reports, etc.) which are not available to the normal users, I have a separate Support database which links to the operational back-end.
Consequently, I often have two Access instances running at the same time (the operational and support front ends). I would like to be able to distinguish at a glance which is which.
Under Options ... Current Database, I have named them "Operational" and "Support" respectively - but these names do not appear in the title bar when the db is first loaded, only after viewing the Options form each time. Any idea why that is ?
I would prefer it if I could use different colours for the two instances, but I don't think that's possible with Office themes - or is it ? Note that I am not referring here to themes as applied to forms and reports.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:40
not sure what your problem is - if you complete the application title in options>current database, that immediately populates the access window title bar - so what is your 'options' form?

with regards different options for form colours - that should also not be a problem - you have two different front ends, just colour the forms as you want

Perhaps you need to explain your setup in more detail

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
You can set the Title Bar of the database using something like;
Code:
 CurrentDb.Properties!AppTitle = "My Database  - Version " & iLocVers & " - " & txtUserName

I have a version number and put the local user in the there as well. Seems to make users feel special :)

BeeJayEff

Registered User.
Local time
not sure what your problem is - if you complete the application title in options>current database, that immediately populates the access window title bar - so what is your 'options' form?

I've just realised that this behaviour is because displaying the Title is a Startup option, and I usually open the db bypassing them.

with regards different options for form colours - that should also not be a problem - you have two different front ends, just colour the forms as you want

As I said, it's not the forms and reports that I want using different themes, it's the main Access windows.

BeeJayEff

Registered User.
Local time
I have a version number and put the local user in the there as well. Seems to make users feel special :)

I do indeed do that on the main switchboard screen; it also means that it is immediately obvious if there has been a problem resulting in global variables having been nulled.
And many of my users are indeed very special ;)

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Maybe add code so that if you are the person opening the database it sets the title but doesn't open the main form / switchboard?

BeeJayEff

Registered User.
Local time
Maybe add code so that if you are the person opening the database it sets the title but doesn't open the main form / switchboard?

Trouble is, as I'm bypassing startup options, there's nowhere I can put that code ! And even if I put it in the Load or Open event of the Main Switchboard (which I often, but not always, open), it sets the property but does not refresh the Title. I think this gets relegated to the "nice to have, but not worth spending more time on" bucket.

BeeJayEff

Registered User.
Local time
sorry - misunderstood. main access windows (all windows, including popop/modal forms) are themed based on the windows OS selection - so affects all windows, not just a specific instance.

Found this which may be of interest

http://superuser.com/questions/820570/change-window-frame-color-on-an-application-basis
Thanks, but that applies to all instances of a program; I want to distinguish between two instances of Access. Hey ho, not worth spending more time on. Thanks for your help.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Well just in case try

Application.RefreshTitleBar

After you have set it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom