Dress codes

MrsGorilla said:
look like Daisy Dukes on me.
Sounds pretty good to me, what's the problem ? :confused:

Rich said:
Sounds pretty good to me, what's the problem ? :confused:

I wasn't raised wearing clothes like that and would have gotten in trouble had I tried to wear them. Now when I wear something too short I just feel indecent. :o

Besides, I haven't gotten a tan in a few years and I don't want to blind anyone. :cool:

MrsGorilla said:
I wasn't raised wearing clothes like that and would have gotten in trouble had I tried to wear them. Now when I wear something too short I just feel indecent. :o

Nothing wrong with either the answer or perspective ;)

Besides, I haven't gotten a tan in a few years and I don't want to blind anyone. :cool

What I can never understand is why when we are born "white" we spend so much trying to turn "brown" :confused: :D

Rich said:
What I can never understand is why when we are born "white" we spend so much trying to turn "brown" :confused: :D

I started wondering about that myself. :D That was about the time I gave up on it. Besides, I figure if cancer runs in my family anyway I'm not going to do anything that will help it along. :eek: :cool:

Rich said:

I don't tan. I am quiet proud of my fair skin. I realize that I am 30 and look about 20, and when I turn 40 i'll look about 30. The reason is because I don't tan. Sitting in the sun is bad and ages you rapidly. I embrace my paleness. If I blind people, wear sunglasses or stop staring at my legs. :rolleyes: :p :D

Rich said:

Makes you wonder how many "brown" folks spend their time trying to turn "white"......Oh wait, nevermind. Michael Jackson has already tried that and we all know how that's turned out. :rolleyes:

NJudson said:
Makes you wonder how many "brown" folks spend their time trying to turn "white"......Oh wait, nevermind. Michael Jackson has already tried that and we all know how that's turned out. :rolleyes:

Yeah, not only did he lose skin pigmination, he lost brain cells too. :rolleyes:

MrsGorilla said:
I started wondering about that myself. :D That was about the time I gave up on it. Besides, I figure if cancer runs in my family anyway I'm not going to do anything that will help it along. :eek: :cool:
I guess people think that it makes them look healthier, we don't get strong sunshine here very often to worry about the cancer threat, although public health films about the risks are transmitted frequently during the summer months.

selenau837 said:
I don't tan. I am quiet proud of my fair skin. I realize that I am 30 and look about 20, and when I turn 40 i'll look about 30. The reason is because I don't tan. Sitting in the sun is bad and ages you rapidly. I embrace my paleness. If I blind people, wear sunglasses or stop staring at my legs. :rolleyes: :p :D

I had an ex-girlfriend with precisely that same attitude and when I was dating her at age 20 some people thought she was only 16 and I remember a couple people even thinking 14. :eek:

NJudson said:
I had an ex-girlfriend with precisely that same attitude and when I was dating her at age 20 some people thought she was only 16 and I remember a couple people even thinking 14. :eek:

Yes, when I had my first child at 22, I use to have people sneer at me, and heard mumbles of teenager mother. It was sad really.

I recently got carded to buy an R rated movie here a month or so ago. Actually had to go outside and get my ID to get the movie. I was rather upset. They said it was policy. I just rolled my eyes, paid for it and left. I laughed about it later. I guess I should have been flattered, but it was annoying have to GO out to the car to get my ID. :mad:

selenau837 said:

That's my attitude as well these days. I haven't had a tan since my early 20's and I'm always having people tell me they think I'm younger than I am. I can live with that. :)

Rich said:
I guess people think that it makes them look healthier, we don't get strong sunshine here very often to worry about the cancer threat, although public health films about the risks are transmitted frequently during the summer months.

I wish we had that problem. Unfortunately, July and August are the most miserable months to live in Oklahoma (or Texas, for that matter). We usually have a run of several days in a row with 100+ degree (that would 37.78+ degree for you UKers ;) ) weather and the sun is just beating down on you. If you go outside without sunscreen for as little as 10-15 minutes in the hottest part of the day you can get burned. Especially if you're very fair, like I am. :o (I'm of half German, half Irish descent and while I don't have red hair, my mother did and it does run in my family) My husband is half Mexican and has a dark complexion so he isn't quite as susceptible as I am but he still has to be careful. Emily is darker than I am but not as dark as he is so I have to be very careful with her as well.

Last edited:
MrsGorilla said:
I'm finally starting to lose my weight from having Emily now that she is almost 2. I've already lost 1/5th of my goal in the past 6 weeks, so hopefully by summer I'll be in good shape and then I can start my weighlifting again.

Me, too - I joined Weight Watchers in January, and I have lost over 15 pounds so far. Thank GOD! 15 pounds on a 5'3" frame is like 2 sizes. And I am looking around at some other fitness equipment, like a leg extension/leg curl bench, and a calf raise machine so I can do more with my legs this summer. I NEED to get back into working out. My muscles feel like Jello, and I hate that. Childbirth really takes a toll on your body, but I figure the sooner I get it back in shape, the easier it will be for my body to remember what it was like pre-baby.

Lisa

selenau837 said:

I am also incredibly pale. Irish mom, Italian dad. Got only the Irish genes for skin tone. And the baby is even paler than me. Her dad has a family full of red hair and freckles, so she has the tanning thing totally against her. I don't necessarily embrace my paleness, it would be great to be able to tan instead of fry everytime I am in the sun for even 15 minutes. And I absolutely love to lay out in the sun. The warmth, the brightness - living where I live, it is just so infrequent that we see the sun, and so when we vacation anywhere where there is sun, we just like to soak it up. So SPF 95 comes in real handy.:D

Lisa

lmnop7854 said:
Me, too - I joined Weight Watchers in January, and I have lost over 15 pounds so far. Lisa
I can't understand the problem here, I've lost thousands of pounds since starting a family, are you having too many takeaways from MacDonalds ?:confused:

Rich said:
I can't understand the problem here, I've lost thousands of pounds since starting a family, are you having too many takeaways from MacDonalds ?:confused:

weight, Rich, not currency - although I have given up a few dollars here and there since she was born....:cool:

Lisa

lmnop7854 said:
weight, Rich, not currency - although I have given up a few dollars here and there since she was born....:cool:

Lisa
Here's a thought -from here

The total cost of raising a child in a typical two-parent working household from birth to age 21 is now an eye-watering £140,398.
The research from financial services company Liverpool Victoria shows that this translates into an average annual bill of £6,686 for each year up to age 21, that's £129 a week

Col

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom