Error when opening Database (1 Viewer)

robjones01

Access 97 + / VB6.0 +
Local time
Today, 09:51
Good afternoon,

When I'm trying to open a back end database which was previously created is MS Access 97 it gives me the following error;

Cannot update. Database or object is read-only.

I have tried running the "Compact/Repair Function of MS Access 97 and MS Access 2003 to no avail.

I have tried converting the back-end to Access 2003 as well but I still get the same error message. I can link to the database tables from an Access 2003 database fine with no error message!!

Has anyone got any suggestions before I have to take it offline and rebuild the back-end and then copy the data across from the old one?!!!

*Pete*

Registered User.
Local time
Have you checked the properties of the file to make sure that it is not set to read only? Right Click on the file Select Properties and at the bottom of the window in Attributes make sure that there is no tick in the Read Only box.

robjones01

Access 97 + / VB6.0 +
Local time
Yeah, i've checked that.

It's NOT set to Read only. It's strange, i believe it might be something to do with the system tables being corrupt. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Fear Naught

Kevin
Local time
I would suggest you create a new clean database and import all the objects from your corrupt database. That normally does the trick and only takes a few minutes.

robjones01

Access 97 + / VB6.0 +
Local time
already tried that...when it tries to import the modules it gives me an error to say that there are naming conflicts!!

*Pete*

Registered User.
Local time
Is it just the modules that give the error when importing? If so maybe you could just create new modules then Copy and Paste the code.

drblackard

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:51
I had the same problem and found that my backend was created with Microsoft XP and the frontend was created with 2002....I had to recreated the split mde and then all was fine...Check to see if both dbs are of the same verison....I hope you kept a copy of the original database! I learned the hard way to always keep a backup...hope this helps...Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom