Favourite Music (1 Viewer)

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:56
Following the Sporting Heroes theme, what piece of music do you consider the ultimate?

My submission (and flogged to death by every hackneyed musician on the planet) consider the times and what else was going on musically, I submit

Antonio Carlos Jobim - The Girl From Ipanema

Corny, maybe, but write a better one!

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
Jobim, along with Joao Gilberto were the instigators of Brasilian Bossa Nova in the late 50's / early 60's

statsman

Local time
Today, 03:56
Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
Any Beatles song

The Brazilian sound still lives thanks to Sergio Mendes et al.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:56
I like all sorts of stuff, but if you were to pin me down, I would say the third movement of the Third Brandenburg Concerto by J S Bach. It is just an incredibly infectious dance. When I hear it, in my mind I can see a Renaissance-era European village with a bright, Spring day as the villagers dance to celebrate some joyous holiday.

There are only three types of music I don't let in the house. These would be angry, spiteful gangsta rap; extreme acid-heavy-metal rock; and howlin' dawg country laments. I can take almost anything else.

My wife loves anything related to Christmas except there was this one album by Wynton Marsalis (Grammy-award winning artist, plays trumpet). It was something like A Bluesy Christmas. It sounded like every musician was stoned on something stronger than simple alcolhol during that recording session. It's the ONLY Christmas Album my wife won't play again. She even lets me play my Dr. Demento Christmas album. But not the Wynton Marsalis album.

Newman

Québécois
Local time
I like 80's hard rock and power ballads.
AC/DC, Bon Jovi, Cinderella, Guns N' Roses, Mötley Crüe, Poison, Scorpions, Van Halen, etc.

Hard to choose one...

I really like AC/DC's Back in Black: I learned guitar:eek: and drum:cool: on that one. Quit guitar pretty quick though.

Some others:
Van Halen's Hot for Teacher: The guitar and drum on that one I'll never try. Wow!!!:eek:
For harder stuff, I'd choose Accept's Balls to the Wall and for power ballad, Scorpions' Still Loving You.

I like 80's songs 'cause there is a personal story behind each of them. When I want to go back in time to my teenage years, I don't look at pictures or videos. I listen to the music of the 80's and make a journey back in the good time. I remember exactly what I was doing when I heard every songs for the first time.

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 09:56
Being an amature musician , I like a whole range of music, but love to listen ( or play) jazz or fusion. My great heroes are John Scofield, Pat Metheny, Michael Brecker, Frank Zappa, Michael Borstlap , Jazzpana II and many others. I occasionally listen to Debussy (Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune ) or Ravel (Concerto pour la main gauche en ré majeur)
but recently discovered another favourite : Richard Bona. One of the best bass players
I ‘ve ever heard. His last album Tiki is a mixture of jazz with old Cameroons folk songs.
Brilliant.

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
Ah, a man after my own heart - In the fusion area I am hugely influenced by John McLaughlin & Keith Jarret - Debussy / Ravel I'll listen to anytime

The reason I went with Jobim is after learning to play it (in a fashion) it's just so logical where your fingers fall... Forget the stuff you here in the elevators, source the original, Astrud Gilbertos voice and theow in Stan Getz's liquid sax

Excuse me chaps, I have to go outside for a bit and I may be some time....

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
.. Forget the stuff you here in the elevators, source the original, Astrud Gilbertos voice and theow in Stan Getz's liquid sax

Fully agree, also the Charlie Bird/Stan Getz album "Jazz Samba" was and still is a classic and has set the standard for that type of music :cool:

Len Boorman

Back in gainfull employme
Local time
Today, 08:56
Leaving out the classics Bach, Strauss etc for a while

Consider

The Dubliners. Okay its Irish Folk and maybe an acquired taste but definately to my taste

L

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
Today, 00:56
Ben Harper - Roses from my friends - brilliant acoustic guitar piece
Dave Matthews band
Bare naked ladies - Brian wilson- awesome and also their cover of when doves cry)

as to others well depends what mood I am in David Grey - is very good, and Rob Thomas (?) time after time, also The Cure - acoustic versions
Ryan Adams - Guns and Roses (when i am in the mood for it)
Beatles - a bit iffy on this - early stuff yeah but the later stuff not too een on but George Harrisons stuff is Brilliant - I think that he was overshadowed by Paul & John - but I think he was on equal terms with both of these song writers My sweet lord and dark horse not to mention here comes the sun (not sure if that his or a beatles one)

Dennisk

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 08:56
Just looking at Talking Heads - remain in light.

Although these days I try to listen to World Jazz. Courtney Pine, Jan Garbarek even Mike Stern now he's not afraid to tackle music by jimi Hendrix

GaryPanic

Local time
If we are on about classical music then Vangelis (?) or even tubular bells by whats his name ??

Newman

Québécois
Local time
I am not a fan of Classic, but I like In The Hall Of The Mountain King which has a lot of power in it. It is almost "Hard Classic". If someone knows of some other classical music of that tempo, let me know.

GaryPanic

Local time
How about Enya or even Moby - modern artists with a classical twist .

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
I am not a fan of Classic, but I like In The Hall Of The Mountain King which has a lot of power in it. It is almost "Hard Classic". If someone knows of some other classical music of that tempo, let me know.

Hard classic from Grieg :rolleyes:
You might try Le sacre du primtemps by Stravinsky. Or the planets from Holst or as an alternative : Also Sprach Zarathustra from Strauss.

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
Mussorgsky's Pictures At An Exhibition / Night On Bare Mountain has some good high tempo 'edgy' sections

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom