Gun laws do they work (1 Viewer)

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:18
Metric is easy. Converting between metric and almost anything else is a pain. The US is slowly sliding towards metric (2 liter bottles of soda).

Most all scientific and medical are in metric. For the average person, things don't change. They still get a gallon of gas, a pound of cure, a bushell of corn, sack of potatos, an Acre of land (composed of feet or Rods). This has been going on since I was a Yonker. lol Don't expect it to get any faster. Don't think a Liter of Gas is going to go over very well.

p.s. they could have told the public the 2 liter bottles of soda was three liters and they would accept it. Its the size that counts here.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Today, 05:18
Most all scientific and medical are in metric. For the average person, things don't change. They still get a gallon of gas, a pound of cure, a bushell of corn, sack of potatos, an Acre of land (composed of feet or Rods). This has been going on since I was a Yonker. lol Don't expect it to get any faster. Don't think a Liter of Gas is going to go over very well.

p.s. they could have told the public the 2 liter bottles of soda was three liters and they would accept it. Its the size that counts here.
Amen and amen

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 19:18
Most all scientific and medical are in metric. For the average person, things don't change. They still get a gallon of gas, a pound of cure, a bushell of corn, sack of potatos, an Acre of land (composed of feet or Rods). This has been going on since I was a Yonker.

That is because the people of the US object changing to anything that was invented by people in another country so decided to persist out of step with the rest of the world.

That decision cost billions when that Mars probe crashed a few years ago because the US part of the team worked in imperial units and messed up the conversion.

Hardly surprising when you couldn't even get the gallon right in the first place.:p

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
That is because the people of the US object changing to anything that was invented by people in another country so decided to persist out of step with the rest of the world.

That decision cost billions when that Mars probe crashed a few years ago because the US part of the team worked in imperial units and messed up the conversion.

Hardly surprising when you couldn't even get the gallon right in the first place.:p

luckily I can still get hot dogs by the bun. I found a local yocal joint here in Winchester, VA called Snow White Grill that specialties in strange things. Monday, Lord willing, I will give it a try. btw Jax the church Wed. night did not take me to a fancy restaurant. They gave me a choice of Captain D's on University, or Cracker Barrel. I took the fish.
Any Access World Forum, members here in Winchester?

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time

It would appear that your are resisting change from anything Biblical. Yes, 300 cubits or 450.0000000000000ft. was the length of the Ark vs 137.16 meters. Not very close for a carpenter. I could go on, but the imperial type of measurement originated several thousand years ago vs. 1799.

Yes, and it was a human communication failure. It appears that one team mistook the readings that were in Imperial measurements to be in metric. I say to you, If you assume anything you make an A,., out of you and me. Of course it was the first of many errors that resulted from 'mismanagement', 'cost-cutting' and just 'poor quality control'. Next time you give out information, be sure to give the whole story instead of just the story line you want every one to hear. Please.

Not sure what you are talking about here but I am sure it was good!

tehNellie

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:18
Oh come on. If you're going to mix up your urban myths at least get it right. It's very hard to mix up metric and imperial, at least make it a signed and unsigned integer if you aren't going to quote a source.

While I make it a general policy to try and not get involved in the finer details of US gun law, I will say that I have no problem with guns. I just don't trust anyone other than me to own one. If you're not me you probably shouldn't be allowed one, certainly shouldn't be allowed to carry one and if you're not wearing a uniform I should be allowed to shoot you if I think you're carrying one... Hmm maybe I should move to Florida.

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
Oh come on. If you're going to mix up your urban myths at least get it right. It's very hard to mix up metric and imperial, at least make it a signed and unsigned integer if you aren't going to quote a source.

It appears in at least one source, one arm measured in metric and the other measured in Imperial. I agree, sometimes there is enough difference to alert someone that your looking at two different type measurements. Evidently this was not the case here. There were no figures for me to ascertain if this was true.

While I make it a general policy to try and not get involved in the finer details of US gun law, I will say that I have no problem with guns. I just don't trust anyone other than me to own one. If you're not me you probably shouldn't be allowed one, certainly shouldn't be allowed to carry one and if you're not wearing a uniform I should be allowed to shoot you if I think you're carrying one... Hmm maybe I should move to Florida.

Have patience, the time is coming where you just might have to exercise those thoughts into reality. Not really sure whether I want to live in Florida, visit yes, Live????????.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time

No need to. I am me and I already live in FL.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 19:18
Oh come on. If you're going to mix up your urban myths at least get it right. It's very hard to mix up metric and imperial, at least make it a signed and unsigned integer if you aren't going to quote a source..

"NASA lost a $125 million Mars orbiter because a Lockheed Martin engineering team used English units of measurement while the agency's team used the more conventional metric system for a key spacecraft operation, "

http://edition.cnn.com/TECH/space/9909/30/mars.metric.02/

If you are going to try and shoot down another post at least you could Google for the facts before you shoot yorself in the foot.

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
"NASA lost a $125 million Mars orbiter because a Lockheed Martin engineering team used English units of measurement while the agency's team used the more conventional metric system for a key spacecraft operation, "

http://edition.cnn.com/TECH/space/9909/30/mars.metric.02/

If you are going to try and shoot down another post at least you could Google for the facts before you shoot yorself in the foot.

don't' think that was the post he was talking about.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
The problem with metric is that it is too easy to get the decimal point in the wrong place or make a typo. It is presented inconsistently, a person is 1.8 metres tall but a cabinet is 1200 mm wide!!

However my main complaint in this argument that we in the UK are neither one thing or the other, both sets of units are in use, we should have switched to metric completely or not at all.

Brian

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Blade
The comment about the gallon is because your imperial gallon is not correct, ie not the same as the original British , and since we are the imperialists ours must be the correct one.

Brian

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
However my main complaint in this argument that we in the UK are neither one thing or the other, both sets of units are in use, we should have switched to metric completely or not at all.
Back when I worked in my Dad's shop, we used to selll timber. A typical piece could arrive labelled as
21mm x 21mm x 6 feet
or
1" (finished) x 1" (finished) x 1.8m
Never all imperial or all metric.

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
Blade
The comment about the gallon is because your imperial gallon is not correct, ie not the same as the original British , and since we are the imperialists ours must be the correct one.

Brian

Thanks, I did not know that about the gallon?

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
Back when I worked in my Dad's shop, we used to selll timber. A typical piece could arrive labelled as
21mm x 21mm x 6 feet
or
1" (finished) x 1" (finished) x 1.8m
Never all imperial or all metric.

Here in the USA, it is all feet and inches and fractions there of. A 2x4 is really 11/2" by 31/2" when at its final stage. When we build houses, we get down to a 16th of an inch and when we build furniture, there are a lot of people (my grandfather for one) who could get down to 32ths and 64ths of an inch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom