Has NASA found (potentially) extraterrestrial life?

I came across this website the other day, it is linked to a dentist's practice.

http://www.cmdfa.org.au/

In the insurance business I have dealt with a good number of people from all the professions but I have never seen the "born again" thing with them the way dentists and doctors can be and especially the doctors. I can only put it down to a case of "what they see" with the body and healing etc.

Adam,

What I said was I think the Bible came about because of an event or events that did occur. I have also used the analogy with dinosaurs. As soon as you get past the fact that there were big reptile like animals getting about the place 65 million and more years ago then you are into stuff that is continually changing.

Yes, the details of the science are changing as more information from the fossil and genetic evidence is collected. But never has any part of dinosaur science made claims that defy physical realities.

No healing other organisms by touch, no coming back to life, no walking across water, no claims of connection to universal truth, descent from a deity or even the existence of a deity for that matter.

Just plain honest, interpretable and debateable evidence that never made claims on the basis of "unquestionable insight" that can neither be replicated nor tested, whose proponents did not kill any who doubted.

Yes, the details of the science are changing as more information from the fossil and genetic evidence is collected. But never has any part of dinosaur science made claims that defy physical realities.

No healing other organisms by touch, no coming back to life, no walking across water, no claims of connection to universal truth, descent from a deity or even the existence of a deity for that matter.

Just plain honest, interpretable and debateable evidence that never made claims on the basis of "unquestionable insight" that can neither be replicated nor tested, whose proponents did not kill any who doubted.

Agree 100%

whose proponents did not kill any who doubted

That part is irrelevant except it is just a repeat that you have an extreme dislike of "religions" and that seems to be your platform or starting point. I think it is called a hobby horse. Perhaps if you removed your hobby horse you get your science up and running instead of having to fiddle about with Access like the rest of us dills:)

The major contention is the magical parts. Things that we know could have never happened (Noah's Ark is a good example).

That's interesting, how can you actually 100% prove that it didn't happen? You can say its unrealistic, but to say it "could have never happened" is incorrect. You weren't alive thousands of years ago, you have no way of proving what was fact or fiction.

Last edited:
That's interesting, how can you actually 100% prove that it didn't happen? You can say its unrealistic, but to say it "could have never happened" is incorrect. You weren't alive thousands of years ago, you have no way of proving what was fact or fiction.

Scientists devote whole careers to looking for evidence that the fundamental laws of the Universe have changed by tiny a fraction of a percent in over ten billion years. Nobody has yet succeeded.

The events claimed in the Bible have never been replicaed yet suggest that the laws of nature have changed in the last 0.00001 percent of the existence of the Universe.

My comment about doubters being murdered by the church is fact.
Here is just one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giordano_Bruno

Mike, you are the one with the hobby-donkey who sees the unevidenced, untestable hypothesis as visionary insight.

I know what the church was like but it is irrelevant to the discussion. Of course it would be relevant if we were talking about the good or bad of "religion"

But I don't have a hobby horse and if I did I would not be so fluid in my views. My basic view is that the answer won't be available from the natural laws available to you. Now whether that means another set of laws pre Big Bang, which could also include a form of life that is totally different to anything we could imagine, I don't know. Who knows, Big Bang might fall over and be replaced with another idea or theory.

Bear in mind that life as we know it depends on the natural laws we have.

Simple calculations of the Volume of the Ark and the totalt amount of animals on board( there were more than two individuals of many species) suggest that there would have been a horrendous waste disposal problem and a huge volume of food would have to have been taken as well. I look after animals and I know that it would not have been possible for the humans on board to have kept the Ark from filling with a lot of toxic waste. Besides which the sheer number of animals would have led to crowding diseases.

Of course it is not possible to prove a negative but we can say it is very very unlikely indeed

Things that we know could have never happened (Noah's Ark is a good example).

I think it is reasonable to say that Noah's Ark did not happen as in the image created by the Bible. However, a large flood could have occurred which gave rise to the story in the Bible.

Adam, do you 100% believe that the Bible is a set of stories that is based on total fiction. As a side note have you spent time with a very educated "born again" and tried to shoot the Bible down?

The only concession I have ever been able to get is the possibility that the god in the Bible might be like the local branch manager. That concession does not worry them as to the Heaven/Hell deal because as one of them said to me....the branch manager decides if you get the loan...:D

As a by the way, one thing I find interesting with the argument against Intelligent Design being that God did a shiity job for someone who is the big horse power.....the Bible covers that with Adam and Eve nicking over to the special tree and knocking off the fruit:) Remember how the Bible says things along the lines of them immediately becoming aware they were naked and something about weeds would grow and so on.

Simple calculations of the Volume of the Ark and the totalt amount of animals on board( there were more than two individuals of many species) suggest that there would have been a horrendous waste disposal problem and a huge volume of food would have to have been taken as well. I look after animals and I know that it would not have been possible for the humans on board to have kept the Ark from filling with a lot of toxic waste. Besides which the sheer number of animals would have led to crowding diseases.

Of course it is not possible to prove a negative but we can say it is very very unlikely indeed

Rabbie,

Have you ever checked the volume of the Ark and what it would hold. I never have and can't even remember the dimensions. But one day work how big a cube you need to hold 6 billion people, I think you will be surprised how small it is.

However, I agree with you as per my previous post. The "unknown" of course is if God pulled a miracle out of the hat.

Given the number of species of animal, bird, insect, spider, etc. in the world today (plus those that have since become extinct), it is not - and was never - physically possible for one man or small group of men to construct a boat capable of safely containing them (never mind feeding all of them for any length of time).

If I said that, yesterday, I put a full-size SUV into my coat pocket, you would know that I was either lying or mistaken, in spite of the fact that you weren't there and so can't 'prove' it.

Given the number of species of animal, bird, insect, spider, etc. in the world today (plus those that have since become extinct), it is not - and was never - physically possible for one man or small group of men to construct a boat capable of safely containing them (never mind feeding all of them for any length of time).

If I said that, yesterday, I put a full-size SUV into my coat pocket, you would know that I was either lying or mistaken, in spite of the fact that you weren't there and so can't 'prove' it.

But you are not factoring a miracle into the equation. Let's just assume for a moment that the Ark existed as described in the Bible, some team has discovered it:) If that occurred then that would put a lot of weight behind the Bible and thus a miracle now is not just possible but in fact in likely.

Personally, I find the Bible critics as bad as the literal Bible believers, who as you know tend to use the Bible to prove the Bible. You can't be critical of the Bible stories if you have discounted God out of the picture before you start. Although I have to admit I suffer from the same fault, for example, as I posted to Rabbie that Noah's Ark as portrayed by the Bible is highly unlikely in the extreme. But if God is accepted, even if he is only a branch manager, then Noah's Ark will be a snack.

This is a fundamental issue where critics (myself included) miss the boat so to speak:). Examining the Bible on the basis that God did not exist at the time is futile. On the other hand if God is accepted as at least having existed at the time then the Bible comes up without a problem.

But you are not factoring a miracle into the equation. Let's just assume for a moment that the Ark existed as described in the Bible, some team has discovered it:) If that occurred then that would put a lot of weight behind the Bible and thus a miracle now is not just possible but in fact in likely.

Personally, I find the Bible critics as bad as the literal Bible believers, who as you know tend to use the Bible to prove the Bible. You can't be critical of the Bible stories if you have discounted God out of the picture before you start. Although I have to admit I suffer from the same fault, for example, as I posted to Rabbie that Noah's Ark as portrayed by the Bible is highly unlikely in the extreme. But if God is accepted, even if he is only a branch manager, then Noah's Ark will be a snack.

This is a fundamental issue where critics (myself included) miss the boat so to speak:). Examining the Bible on the basis that God did not exist at the time is futile. On the other hand if God is accepted as at least having existed at the time then the Bible comes up without a problem.
Yes, but isn't that the point? If we accept, for argument's sake, that God does exist as described in the Bible. Then all bets are off. Science trying to discover the origins for anything is a meaningless exercise, since things can just appear at God's whim, in violation of every physical law we know.

We wouldn't be talking pre-Big Bang, remember, but a long time after the universe was created by Him. Some of your other posts mention (one or twice, I believe ;)) that the laws of physics could have been different before the universe existed. However, the story of Noah takes place well into the current physical realm, even if you accept the whole 'Earth is only thousands of years old' idea. At that point, the laws were the same as now, were they not? Yet God can just 'magic' up stuff on a whim that contravenes these laws.

Once you accept that on faith - and it has to be on faith, since it flies in the face of everything we 'know' - all bets are off and you have no reason to discount anything said by anyone on any topic since, for all you know, they're speaking on behalf of God.

That is correct. If God exists as He is portrayed in the Bible he can change the natural laws, suspend them, do what He likes with them.

And this comes back to the Ark. For example, if someone works out the size of the Ark and then extrapolates out etc. they are then working on the basis the Ark existed. If the Ark existed then God existed and thus all the stuff about getting the animals into the Ark is no longer an issue.

But at the end of the day either side is based on faith. For example, Glaxiom has faith that the natural laws we have cover everything and thus he can eventually get the answer. Although I think he is shaky on pre Big Bang. But let's assume for just a moment that it becomes known that there are other universes and all with different natural laws to what we have. Then Glaxiom and the crew are finished. But he has "faith" that is not the case. He is working on the basis that whatever happens here with atoms or whatever will provide the answers.

In my case I don't believe our natural laws contain the answer and if that is the case then Glaxiom and the boys will get no closer to the answer than a native with his totem pole:D In other words I think it is like trying to make an application that requires a relational data base for it to be done but we only have Excel. I believe Glaxiom and Hawking and Co only have Excel to work with.

As a side note, how much would you be prepared to bet that in 50 years Big Bang will still be accepted?

That is correct. If God exists as He is portrayed in the Bible he can change the natural laws, suspend them, do what He likes with them.

And this comes back to the Ark. For example, if someone works out the size of the Ark and then extrapolates out etc. they are then working on the basis the Ark existed. If the Ark existed then God existed and thus all the stuff about getting the animals into the Ark is no longer an issue.
So you either base your ideas on what you can prove to be true (i.e. current physical laws) or what a book tells you is true but which contradicts what you can prove. Where do you draw the line? I don't think the fact that a book is old and promises that it's true is any basis for discarding knowledge.
But at the end of the day either side is based on faith. For example, Glaxiom has faith that the natural laws we have cover everything and thus he can eventually get the answer.
Here we go with the faith again. :D I know the Earth revolves around the Sun. Can I, personally, prove it? No. I still know it to be a fact, though. In the same way I know that I if I step off a building, I'll fall. Have I done it? No. You might say that means I only ahve faith in it happening and that I could just as easily float off into space. I don't feel that 'faith' is the right word to use. There are some situations where one can safely say that they know something to be true, based on science and past experience, as opposed to having faith that it's true, based on what a book tells me.

For me, Noah's ark falls into this category.
Although I think he is shaky on pre Big Bang. But let's assume for just a moment that it becomes known that there are other universes and all with different natural laws to what we have. Then Glaxiom and the crew are finished. But he has "faith" that is not the case. He is working on the basis that whatever happens here with atoms or whatever will provide the answers.
I don't know enough about Big Bang to debate this from any kind of position of authority, but I still believe the word 'faith' is misplaced here.

That I believe Glaxiom and Hawking and Co only have Excel to work with.
[/quoet]
Then they'll find the answer with far fewer errors than I get, messing about with Acces :(
As a side note, how much would you be prepared to bet that in 50 years Big Bang will still be accepted?
See above. I'm not trying to duck the question, I have no idea :)

What I said was I think the Bible came about because of an event or events that did occur.

I know. You're being incredibly vague, and I'm trying to ask you to be specific. As soon as you mention a specific example, we can weigh it/judge it on its individual merits. I think that if you were to try to be specific, it would be revealing to you, and to others.

tinyevil777 said:

But if you use that logic, how can you ever 100% prove anything? If the burden of proof is 100%, then we as a people don't actually "know" anything.

Plus, that brings in the "I am god" problem. Example: I am god. Prove me wrong. You can't prove me wrong, not 100%. But do you actually believe it for one iota of a second? Of course not. So, you obviously have some burden less than 100%.

Mike375 said:
I think it is reasonable to say that Noah's Ark did not happen as in the image created by the Bible. However, a large flood could have occurred which gave rise to the story in the Bible.

I'm sure it did. Have you ever heard of the Epic of Gilgamesh? There is speculation that the bible plagarized the flood from the epic.

If it was lifted from the epic, then it obviously was not divinely-inspired. And if one part of the bible can be proven to not be divinely-inspired, then that casts a shadow on the entirety of the bible. For many people that is already the case. I'd hazard to bet that very few people, even religious people, believe that everything that is supposed to have had happened in the bible really happened.

Mike375 said:
Adam, do you 100% believe that the Bible is a set of stories that is based on total fiction. As a side note have you spent time with a very educated "born again" and tried to shoot the Bible down?

I think the bible is composed of stories written by men of its age.

I don't think she is a "born again", but I have had several conversations with a Sunday school teacher. I told her I had purchased a copy of the bible to study, in the academic sense, and if she would mind if I asked her questions. She said she'd be glad to answer any questions I had.

We had several conversations after that. One in particular that sticks in my mind was the age of Adam and Eve, how long they happened to have lived. I asked her how it was possible that they lived that long, and she said it was because they were pure human beings.

Her thoughts were that the blood of humans has been degraded, which is why we get sicker sooner, die sooner, and probably a host of other things as well. So then I asked her how that could possibly be if we're all descended from Adam and Eve. If they were the only 2 people in existence, and they were pure, how did impurities enter the blood? She said she didn't know.

Mike375 said:
But you are not factoring a miracle into the equation.

As soon as you open the door to the possibilities of miracle, as you are using the term, you would have to change your entire world outlook.

If a person is given a prognosis of 6 months to live, and they end up living for 3 years, that's a miracle. If someone falls from a plane, their parachute doesn't open, and they survive, that's a miracle.

If the entire world floods, but a small group of people were able to round up 2 of every species of creature in the world, fit them on a seaworthy vessel made in that age, keep them from eating one another, then the waters receeded (where do the waters go again?), and all those beings survive... You get the idea.

Mike375 said:
Then Glaxiom and the crew are finished. But he has "faith" that is not the case. He is working on the basis that whatever happens here with atoms or whatever will provide the answers.

Faith is a word that means different things to different people. Scientists say "I can prove x, y and z". This is based on facts. But any old person can come along and say "That's wrong, god says q". There has to be some type of objective way of measuring which of these situations is more accurate.

Therefore, scientists go through a very detailed process to prove, by the scientific method, what it is that they assert. Is it infalliable? Of course not, but it is more reliable, and more likely to be accurate than what Joe Schmo on the street says.

Therefore, the term "faith" has a connotation with belief in something without any facts or evidence to suggest it. Galaxiom seems to have the facts or evidence that suggests to him his standpoint. Therefore, it is not "faith"-based, as you're trying to suggest.

The reason that religious people try to muddy the waters in this way is to try to make the statement that biblical claims (or other religious/non-scientific ideas) are just as valid as scientific claims.

But even you, Mike, don't agree with that. Earlier in the thread I asked if you would rather have a trained doctor treat you or someone who had faith that they could treat you, and you said the doctor. So I'd say it is safe to assume you value science higher than non-scientific claims when it is important.

My Christian friends do not seem to have a problem accepting that Genesis is a record of creationist myths. They believe there may be lessons to be learnt, moral to be drawn from these stories but they do not believe them to be the literal truth. It is clear from the New Testament that Jesus did not think the ten commandments where the whole story. n fact he gave 2 new commandments to replace them. The first being to honour the Lord thy God and the second to love your neighbour as ourself.

I would agree that there is a lot of sensible teaching on how to create a just society. Indeed the early christians seem to have set up what we now would call communes and were sharing equally between themselves.

I sometimes wonder if they would be condemned by presentday christian fundamentalists as being dangerously socialist.

In fact he gave 2 new commandments to replace them. The first being to honour the Lord thy God and the second to love your neighbour as ourself.

Those two commandments did not replace the 10 commandments.... They summed them up.....

Those two commandments did not replace the 10 commandments.... They summed them up.....
Wasn't one of them to honour your parents, or something along those lines? Which of the two Rabbie described cover that?

Wasn't one of them to honour your parents, or something along those lines? Which of the two Rabbie described cover that?

That was something written in one of Paul's letters, it wasn't spoken by Jesus, but that too would be covered under love your neighbor's as yourself.... ;)

Edit: I just reread you post, you mean one of the ten commandments was that "honor..." not the two.... That doesn't change my answer though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom