Icons on Command Buttons

alteque

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:02
I'm running Access 2000 and want to use some different icons than available through Access on some command buttons. So far, I can only get it to accept bitmaps. This isn't a problem if bitmaps can have a transparency. I don't think they can though. Any suggestions?

The icons I want to use have a transparency.

Thank you,

alteque

Why not just convert the graphics into bitmap and set the background to the same color as the button? That would be the simplist thing to do.

If you want difficult, you can create custom buttons from form objects, with different shapes and sizes by using vba code. Check out this link:

http://access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=42546&highlight=colored+buttons

You'll be able to make your own buttons using graphics with the sample database posted in that thread.

It's a start...

Vassago

Actually, looking now, it gives me the option of using ICO files. Can you convert your pictures into ICO files?

Icos are Icons, surely, you have to select the icon option on the browse tab when using your own icos for buttons

Rich said:
Icos are Icons, surely, you have to select the icon option on the browse tab when using your own icos for buttons
How right you are Rich.

Custom icons in a command button do not look as good when you disable the button [if you have the need] compared to the built-in Access icons. Odd that Microsoft has yet to update the pitiful icons they include in Access for the past four versions [upgrades] of Access.

This thread will help if you have the need to work with transparent GIFs... Transparent GIF

So, what's wrong with icons, other than that they look ugly when disabled? Won't the pictures look ugly when disabled too? Why bother upgrading the icons? They just need the ability to pull in pictures of other formats, such as gif, which would solve the issue altogether. Who really wants to use the built in pictures anyway?

Thanks everybody for responding to this frustrating question. I did notice that it has the icon choice in there. However, when I choose and icon it gives me a message saying that this filetype is not supported. I wonder if it has something to with the dimensions of the icon.

I'll check msdn, and see if there's an update for office 2000. Maybe that will fix it. Thanks again for everybody's input. It's very appreciated.

Last edited:
Ha ha ha, guess what, it won't accept just any icon. I found one of those icons that has different bit depth and sizes bundled into one. I would imagine that it may have to have some or all of them. I haven't figured it out completely yet, but I'll let you guys know when I do. If anybody has some advice it would be greatly appreciated.

I found a great site on icons at msdn.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnwxp/html/winxpicons.asp

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom