I'm in Love with ChatGPT (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:19
I have never been so surprised by a video as this one.

TlDraw - where you draw something on the screen, a sketch, and it turns it into a program! it's incredible.

AI can suggest new folded proteins and predict their properties.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Here's a royal institute lecture on generative artificial intelligence, recorded September 2023:-

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Google's LLM (large language model)

Has solved an unsolvable math problem.

I ran my own tests on ChatGPT's ability to solve difficult maths. I tried to get it to plot the orbits of Mars, Earth and the Aldrin cycler.

ChatGPT 3.5 failed, as did ChatGPT 4 ....

Can't wait to try it on the next version!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Here is an excellent YouTube from Andy Stapleton.

He discusses how to use ChatGPT to help him write a research article and prepare it for peer review.

His approach for creating an academic paper could be just as easily applied to creating a decent blog post, hence I'm posting it here for anyone interested in starting blogging, or improving their blogging skills.

I for one, will be giving it a try!

Use ChatGPT to easily write research articles

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Did Claudine Gay use ChatGPT to write her thesis? Perhaps she had a time machine.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Yes, amongst the rest of her other plagiarised writings.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 05:19
I asked ChatGPT what is wrong with this code:

Code:
Sub ok()
Dim var As Integer
For var = 1 To 1000000000
    MsgBox "ok"
Next var
End Sub

It brought up 3 "problems", no fewer than TWO of which were flat-out WRONG (claimed that msgboxes will accumulate on the screen, completely missed the concept of a modal popup, secondly it claimed it will cause an infinite loop which is obviously not true), and NONE of which caught the glaring issue that's definitely wrong.

This seems very basic, if I were to give someone a VBA test who claimed intermediate familiarity I would expect them to catch this within seconds.

Doesn't bode well for getting code advice from ChatGPT in my opinion, I was just wanting to test it.
I would have a hard time trusting it after this.

Like I said - there has to be a way to objectively test it, rather than just feeding it questions that you yourself don't know the answer to and therefore, can't evaluate the response quality.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Doesn't bode well for getting code advice from ChatGPT

I found ChatGPT pretty good with Python. It was also pretty good in helping me build a Chrome extension. However I had to put quite a bit of effort in to counteracting its wokishness and its.... What...? I was thinking "arrogance" but that's not quite the right word. Chatty comes over as arrogant in that it appears to know what it's talking about, but once you start believing that, you are in trouble!

My advice, you MUST use ChatGPT to help you in a programming language you thoroughly understand before you start using it in a language you don't understand.

Why? I've started one of my "forever shelved" Flutter projects... It is an excruciatingly painful process learning Flutter with chapGPT. But only because I thought it knew what it was talking about! It does not know. I'm currently trying to get it to modularize the code by extracting a widget (a class) into a separate file and then replace the section of code with a reference to that file. Painful! It should be simple, but it's not ...

I've fallen back to watching YouTube videos to get a better idea of what to do, but there are a few and far between good ones!

I saw this comment posted on Reddit:-

Beware: LLMs generate plausible text. Not most likely text, or accurate text. Just believable text denoted with confidence. They are great as a creative assistant, but frequently bad as an authoritative source.

I thought that was a brilliant and spot on observation...

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Chat GPT can now do chemistry! Actual real chemistry as in making aspirin...

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Would you prefer to talk to your doctor or a large language model like chat GPT?
We are heading towards those nifty scanners that Bones used to use in Star Trek. Smartphones can already get attachments that do medical stuff.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
There's a new plug-in for chat GPT called "Consensus":-

Consensus

Your AI Research Assistant. Search 200M academic papers from Consensus, get science-based answers, and draft content with accurate citations. (Might be handy for Harvard University faculty members! )

I tested it yesterday by asking about the puffer fish that builds a big circle in the sand to attract its mate. It provided me one new snippet of information which I hadn't heard before. They believe the design is somehow related to collecting fine Sands in the middle which are best for the development of the eggs.

I've just been listening to Lex Frideman speaking to a Glasgow University professor Lee Cronin, who has an interesting new Theory called "Assembly Theory" I am just about to ask the Chat GPT consensus plugin if it has any information on this...

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:19
Smartphones can already get attachments that do medical stuff.

There is a 79$ attachment for Android phones where the App connects to the device and takes your EKG, records it, and can send it to a doctor. It doesn't do the "advanced" EKG that looks at multiple leads, but it can detect common situations like bradycardia, tachycardia, atrial fibrillation, etc.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
New add-on for chat GPT called "Creative Writing Coach"
I have been writing a sci-fi story now for years. However I've run up against "writers block". The writers block itself has probably been there for a couple of years at least! I didn't admit that to myself, I just didn't write anything. I would do all sorts of procrastination relating to the story, checking spelling and writing ancillary chapters which didn't have a bearing on the main story. However I noticed a new add-on for chat GPT called "Creative Writing Coach". Now chat GPT itself is pretty good at helping with your writing but this creative writing coach takes it to another level, it's brilliant! It's helping me build character story arcs and the whole story structure. It's helping me come to terms with the block which is a discussion between Malcolm who has an illegitimate son Rylan and this is their first meeting and I just could not get my head around the dialogue.

This is what the chat GPT "Creative Writing Coach" produced as a suggestion for the dialogue:-

Dialogue Between Malcolm and Rylan

Setting: Aboard the "Splendor of the Stars", Malcolm's luxurious yet enigmatic office. The atmosphere is tense yet charged with unspoken emotions.

Malcolm: [With a measured tone] Rylan, I appreciate your coming. I understand this must be... unconventional for you.

Rylan: [Skeptically] Unconventional is one way to put it. You pull me out of a base jump, and now here? What's this about?

Malcolm: [Pausing, choosing his words carefully] It's about your mother, Liz. And about something bigger, something... beyond us.

Rylan: [His interest piqued, but guarded] My mother? What about her? She's been gone for years.

Malcolm: [Gently] Yes, she has. But what if I told you that we might have a way to find out what really happened to her?

Rylan: [Suspicious] Why would you want to help me? What's in it for you?

Malcolm: [With a hint of emotion] It's not just about what I want. It's about... correcting a wrong. Your mother's disappearance, it's linked to the space elevator. To time anomalies we didn't foresee.

Rylan: [Incredulous] Time anomalies? Are you serious?

Malcolm: [Solemnly] Very. And I believe you might have inherited certain... abilities from your mother. Abilities that could help us.

Rylan: [Frowning] Abilities? What are you talking about?

Malcolm: [Hesitant] It's difficult to explain. But your mother had a unique genetic trait. One that we think is linked to these anomalies. You might have it too.

Rylan: [Reflecting, then with a sudden realization] Wait, how do you know so much about my mother? Who are you to her?

Malcolm: [Taking a deep breath, deciding against full disclosure] I... knew her. Quite well. She was... important to me.

Rylan: [Trying to piece things together] Knew her? What does that even mean?

Malcolm: [Avoiding the question] Right now, Rylan, what's important is that we find out what happened to her. I can't do it without you.

Rylan: [Suspicious but curious] And what if I say no?

Malcolm: [Sincerely] Then you walk away. But consider this, Rylan: this could be your chance to find out about your mother. About who she really was. About who you really are.

End of dialogue

I particularly like the bracketed emotional context.

This is what chat GPT "Creative Writing Coach" said about it:-
The bracketed emotional context is provided primarily as a guide to help you visualize and understand the underlying emotions and intentions of the characters in each line of dialogue. It's a tool for you as the writer to grasp the nuances of the scene more deeply.

Then chat GPT gave me an example of how to turn the above into writing:-
You might rewrite a portion of the dialogue for a narrative format:

Malcolm's office aboard the "Splendor of the Stars" was a blend of luxury and mystery, much like the man himself. He watched Rylan enter, his expression measured, betraying nothing of the tumultuous emotions beneath.

"Rylan, I appreciate you coming," Malcolm began, his voice even. "I understand this must be... unconventional for you."

"Unconventional is one way to put it," Rylan replied, skepticism lacing his words. His eyes, sharp and calculating, scanned the room as if searching for hidden truths. "You pull me out of a base jump, and now here? What's this about?"

"It's about your mother, Liz," Malcolm said gently, yet each word seemed to weigh heavily on him. "And about something bigger, something... beyond us."

Rylan's stance shifted, interest flickering in his eyes, quickly masked by a guarded expression. "My mother? What about her? She's been gone for years."

"Yes, she has. But what if I told you that we might have a way to find out what really happened to her?" Malcolm's voice held a hint of something unspoken, a depth of feeling he seemed to keep in check.

Rylan's suspicion was palpable. "Why would you want to help me? What's in it for you?"

Malcolm's gaze held Rylan's, a flicker of emotion passing through his eyes. "It's not just about what I want. It's about... correcting a wrong. Your mother's disappearance, it's linked to the space elevator. To time anomalies we didn't foresee."

"Time anomalies? Are you serious?" Rylan's tone was incredulous, yet a part of him appeared intrigued by the absurdity of it all.

Of course it remains quite likely that the "Creative Writing Coach" provides another form of procrastination!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom