I'm in Love with ChatGPT (2 Viewers)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:57
I'm writing a sci-fi story. Last week whilst on holiday I organised the chapters and included a brief summary of each chapter.

After my recent success with chatGPT in finding "Fractoluminescence" I was itching to test its abilities once more!

I copied my summary in to ChatGPT and asked chatGPT to suggest character arces and purpose.

Although it's suggestions are somewhat similar, ChatGPT did provide some useful insights and suggestions. But here's the thing and I haven't started doing it yet, but as I did with the fractoluminescence exchange. I am now in a position to ask further questions and ask for more suggestions and observations.

In other words, it's like I have a good friend, a colleague, a mentor or teacher to bounce ideas off.

There's nothing worse than reading someone else's story with the purpose of giving them feedback, it's never received well, you have to want to read a story which may well not be that interesting to you.

It follows that it's difficult to ask someone to read your own story, because, unless you are paying them, they're not going to get much out of it and neither are you really.

Now it's like I've got my own personal editor, someone to talk with about my story who will give me the best advice they can.

Things are looking up on the story front!

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:57
Tony,
The idea of an AI personal mentor, advisor was discussed at length in the Jordan B Peterson interviewing Brian Roemmele video you linked to here. Quite an interesting subject well worth watching.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time

Hi Jack, It was through watching that video and picking up the idea that chat GPT could operate as a mentor and advisor that prompted me to test it with a particularly difficult problem that I had never solved, not even with Google.

Edit
I then sought its assistance with my story as you can see above and subsequently I went on to ask chat GPT to give one of the main characters, Malcolm a Backstory. It was a fantastic piece of writing. I don't know any human who could have written it, with the bear essentials of the information I provided.

I too would recommend anyone with an interest in artificial intelligence should watch that video, not just because it's informative, but it will steer you into taking advantage of this new technology.

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I saw this article in my feed and thought it was apt to post it in this thread:-

Writing award-winning Indian fiction with ChatGPT

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:57
The biggest issue I found when exploring the several AI art sites I found was that if I DID use them to illustrate my fantasy fiction novels, they could not be copyrighted.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
This guy is using chat GPT to create levelling guides for world of Warcraft. I know nothing about levelling guides or WOW...

I understand that you normally have to pay for these levelling guides so chat GPT is allowing the guy to bypass the paywalls.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Steal or re-use or 99.9999% reasonable facsimile?====> share

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I was going to ask you guys this question in a new thread, but then I thought no ask chat GTP!

Future of ChatGPT​

Uncle Gizmo
When the laser was invented, people had no idea what it would be good for. It was just a novelty. But now laser technology is everywhere! Chat GPT AI is in its infancy and it's difficult to see applications for it. Are you able to predict where chatGPT will make in roads?

ChatGPT
As an AI language model, I can provide some insights into potential applications for ChatGPT and where it may make inroads in the future. While it's challenging to make accurate predictions, here are a few areas where ChatGPT and similar conversational AI technologies could find applications:
  1. Customer Service and Support: ChatGPT can be used to enhance customer service by providing automated and intelligent responses to customer queries. It can handle common questions, provide product recommendations, troubleshoot issues, and offer personalized assistance, freeing up human agents for more complex tasks.
  2. Virtual Personal Assistants: ChatGPT has the potential to evolve into a sophisticated virtual personal assistant that helps users with various tasks, such as scheduling appointments, managing emails, organizing information, and providing recommendations based on individual preferences.
  3. Education and E-Learning: ChatGPT can serve as a virtual tutor or learning companion, offering personalized educational content, answering questions, providing explanations, and engaging in interactive learning experiences. It can adapt to individual learning styles and cater to the unique needs of students.
  4. Content Creation and Editing: ChatGPT can assist content creators by generating ideas, proofreading content, suggesting improvements, and helping with creative writing. It can streamline the content creation process, making it more efficient and collaborative.
  5. Mental Health Support: ChatGPT has the potential to offer mental health support by engaging in empathetic conversations, providing coping strategies, and offering resources. It can help individuals manage stress, anxiety, and other mental health concerns by providing guidance and acting as a supportive companion.
  6. Language Translation and Interpretation: ChatGPT can aid in language translation and interpretation tasks by accurately translating text or speech between different languages. It can facilitate communication between individuals who speak different languages, enabling more effective global interactions.
  7. Research and Knowledge Discovery: ChatGPT can assist researchers by providing quick access to vast amounts of information, helping with literature reviews, summarizing research papers, and suggesting new research directions. It can contribute to accelerating scientific discoveries and advancements.
  8. Gaming and Interactive Storytelling: ChatGPT can enhance gaming experiences by acting as non-player characters (NPCs) with realistic dialogues, engaging players in immersive storytelling, and dynamically adapting to their choices and actions.
Remember that these are speculative examples, and the actual applications of ChatGPT may evolve and expand beyond these areas as the technology progresses.

Free Research Preview. ChatGPT may produce inaccurate information about people, places, or facts. ChatGPT May 12 Version

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
Uncle G - I'm using it in a similar context... I see it both as a good editor/ great mentor and like the best cheapest intern ever.

I'm finding it very useful for just getting the right TSQL. I still prefer to use it to polish my stuff rather than just trusting everything that it comes out with. But so far its definitely increasing my consistency. I'm mainly using Bing as I get it for free. I am considering paying for ChatGPT.

Regards writing I do wonder whether anyone will ever have the time to read all the stuff that can be produced now. If everyone is producing top quality stuff there might not be enough people to read it all. I am subscribed to someone called Ethan Mollick who I found on twitter he is using AI (all forms) as an assistant to learn from and co-write articles. Some of his articles are so long and deep though as a result that I rarely get time to read through them..

I think as a mentor and tutor it is great as well - it very much reminds me of the personal illustrated primer in Diamond age by Neal Stephenson - the main benefit is to the person who collaboartes with the primer - I loved that book.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Uncle G - I'm using it in a similar context... I see it both as a good editor/ great mentor and like the best cheapest intern ever.

It's amazing isn't it. I have only just begun to discover the potential it has to help me!

As you say, you shouldn't trust its results completely. You do need a bit of understanding about what it's doing for you.
Some of his articles are so long and deep though as a result that I rarely get time to read through them

But then I assume they will be available to chat GPT... Hence chat GPT will read them for you and return the relevant stuff you need without you having to look through it all.

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I just watched this YouTube video explaining the process of fetching code with chat GPT and the process of iterating to improve the code. The explanation was spot on.

Cory Schafer demonstrated it using python examples and also showed using chat GPT to convert python to JavaScript!

He said something particularly insightful for current programmers. Coders who use Chat GPT will replace coders who do not use it!

I think you will all love the idea of pasting your code into chatGPT, asking chat GPT to add comments and an explanation of how the code works. I am pretty well convinced 90% of you will use this feature!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time

OpenSCAD​

OpenSCAD is a piece of software for making parametric shapes which you can convert to *.stl files and print out on a 3D printer.

I used it regularly, along with my 3D printer, about 10 years ago.

I wondered if Chat GPT could ease me back into parametric development with OpenSCAD.

I asked ChatGPT for the code to develop a sphere, and then I asked it to comment the code. Here is the result.

OpenSCAD Sphere Model​

Uncle Gizmo
Can you provide open scad code to develop a sphere?

ChatGPT
Certainly! Here's an example of OpenSCAD code to generate a sphere:
openscadCopy code
$fn = 100; // Number of facets to approximate the sphere

module sphere(radius) {
for (theta = [0:180/$fn:180]) {
for (phi = [0:360/$fn:360]) {
x = radius * sin(theta) * cos(phi);
y = radius * sin(theta) * sin(phi);
z = radius * cos(theta);
translate([x, y, z]) {
cube([0.8, 0.8, 0.8]); // Each facet is approximated by a small cube
}
}
}
}

// Usage
sphere(10); // Provide the desired radius of the sphere
In this code, we use two nested for loops to iterate over the theta and phi angles that define points on the sphere's surface. For each combination of angles, we calculate the corresponding Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z) using spherical coordinate transformations. Then, we translate a small cube to each of these positions, effectively creating a facet approximation of the sphere.
The variable $fn controls the number of facets used to approximate the sphere. Increasing this value will result in a smoother sphere at the cost of higher rendering time.
To use the code, save it with a .scad extension and open it in OpenSCAD. Adjust the sphere module's radius parameter to set the desired radius of the sphere. Then, preview and render the model to see the generated sphere.

Uncle Gizmo
Please can you comment the code?

Certainly! Here's the commented version of the OpenSCAD code to generate a sphere:
openscadCopy code
$fn = 100; // Number of facets to approximate the sphere

// Module to generate a sphere
module sphere(radius) {
for (theta = [0:180/$fn:180]) { // Iterate over theta angles from 0 to 180 degrees
for (phi = [0:360/$fn:360]) { // Iterate over phi angles from 0 to 360 degrees
// Convert spherical coordinates to Cartesian coordinates
x = radius * sin(theta) * cos(phi);
y = radius * sin(theta) * sin(phi);
z = radius * cos(theta);

// Translate a small cube to each position on the sphere
translate([x, y, z]) {
cube([0.8, 0.8, 0.8]); // Each facet is approximated by a small cube
}
}
}
}

// Usage
sphere(10); // Provide the desired radius of the sphere
I added comments to explain the purpose of each section of the code. The comments indicate the iterations over theta and phi angles, the conversion from spherical to Cartesian coordinates, and the translation of a cube to each position on the sphere to approximate the facets.
Please note that the comment syntax in OpenSCAD uses // for single-line comments and /* ... */ for multi-line comments.

Free Research Preview. ChatGPT may produce inaccurate information about people, places, or facts. ChatGPT May 12 Version

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 22:57
Careful that headline is just what the killer says before she draws a knife! Beautiful, though!

Cotswold

Local time
The biggest issue I found when exploring the several AI art sites I found was that if I DID use them to illustrate my fantasy fiction novels, they could not be copyrighted.
That being the case. If someone generated a program in Access, C#, or any other language. Would it not follow that the software created using AI could not be copyrighted?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Uncle was helping me yesterday with a question about automating Access and he broke chatgpt:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

People who ask the experts here questions are lucky. We're much harder to break:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tony,

Just saw this on youtube- I watched about 20 minutes. An interesting perspective.
I did watch the Cory Schafer video ---very good!⭐⭐

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
question about automating Access and he broke chatgpt...

Well, I'm not surprised! As you can imagine, Pat ask it some very difficult questions!

Chat GPT complained that there were too many users and shut down! I'm convinced it was because it didn't know the answer to Pat's question, and had to go away and have a think... It did get something sorted out in the end!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Just saw this on youtube- I watched about 20 minutes. An interesting perspective.

I just watched it. Not sure about it .. (The video)

I do agree that there should be some sort of pre release vetting system for AI software. ....

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Perhaps AI really could be alien intelligence. Once it influences/determines cultural norms...

Somewhere between Jordan P and Harari is the likely position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom