iPhone 5 or Samsung S3? (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:33
I am looking at upgrading from my iPhone 3GS to either of the above phones. For ages, I was waiting for the iphone 5 with a larger screen. Now that it has arrived, I am a little disappointed. I was hoping for something a little larger.

Also, I am noticing iOS to be a little limiting. With Android, it appears you can do massive customisation, such as changing keyboards and so forth.

Have any of you guys got an opinion on both phones, or owned both Android phones and an iPhone?

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Today, 08:33
I would steer away from iPhone 5 - their quality control has taken a nose dive, ill fitting screens, loose internal components and batteries not up to performance levels on all of the phones. The Siri interface is sketchy, which does not settle well with me, I need the voice and screen reply to be in synch and not report completely different data then what is displayed, there are also static lines on screen which is bothersome. Sadly they can not meet demands because they did not forcast the supply chain properly so there is a glut in some areas and not enough to go around in other areas. Locally there were only 20 phones available on day 1 which was maddening for many people to say the least as more then 20 were lined up faithfully over night to be one of the first to be duped.
Dont know what is shoved upon users in UK, but in Canada, you can not purchase an iPhone 5 without committing to a 3 year contract with a service provider.
I am sold on the Galaxy S3 after migrating from the sadly underperforming and almost defunct Blackberry, server issues were annoying but the delay in 10 was the coupe de grace in my view.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 11:33
I still LOVE my Galaxy S 1 series phone. I have always been a huge supporter of Samsung products and I love the Android interface much more than Iphone for the customization capabilities. Not to mention, everything is straight USB, the batteries can be changed out, etc... I would recommend the SGIII any day.

rainman89

I cant find the any key..
Local time
Have the galaxy s III. Rock Solid Phone and the screen is absolutely amazing. Just wish I had a better case for it. Waiting for Lifeproof to come out with cases for other brands that iphone!

mik-nik

Local time
Samsung ..Yes, I am in a 2 year contract with HTC, first year is up in October and I'm buying out for an S3, I have done my research and would agree with Fifty2One + I'm not Mac mad! although I do like my iPod :)

rodmc

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:33
S3, no brainer

Here a wee quote, just to push you in the right direction

To use a car analogy, six years ago the iPhone was like a sexy new flagship model from BMW or Porsche. Today it's a Toyota Camry. Safe, reliable, boring. The car your mom drives. The car that's so popular that its maker doesn't dare mess with the formula.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I have an observation. As a techie crowd on this forum, perhaps on the whole we tend towards an ability to tweak and design to fit our needs. After all, that is what Access allows us to do. Completely flexible. Whereas the mainstream non-techie crowd just want something that works, without a million options to confuse them.

All the messages in this thread have been pro S3 so far.

I was waiting ages for the iPhone 5, but still the screen is too small and I then started to feel a bit bored with iOS. Then, realising Android let you customise just about anything, it reminded me of the days when I used to have my Windows devices with a stylus. I've forgotten even what they used to call them. I also had a Palm V which I loved.

I will miss my iPhone 3GS when its gone. I've had it 3 years and used it throughout the day. Its hard breaking free!

Adam Caramon

Local time
I have an observation. As a techie crowd on this forum, perhaps on the whole we tend towards an ability to tweak and design to fit our needs. After all, that is what Access allows us to do. Completely flexible. Whereas the mainstream non-techie crowd just want something that works, without a million options to confuse them.

I think you are right. I'm all about open-source on my phone.

Personally, I have no interest being in the "in" crowd. I loathe those people that line up for days trying to buy the latest Iphone.

If Apple makes it, I'm not buying it.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
If my life was all about music, graphics, video and entertainment I would be 24/7 Mac

Samsung ..Yes, I am in a 2 year contract with HTC, first year is up in October and I'm buying out for an S3, I have done my research and would agree with Fifty2One + I'm not Mac mad! although I do like my iPod :)

JenJ

Local time
Today, 10:33
Have the galaxy s III. Rock Solid Phone and the screen is absolutely amazing. Just wish I had a better case for it. Waiting for Lifeproof to come out with cases for other brands that iphone!

I just got the S3 and I LOVE IT!!!

I bought the Otterbox Commuter case- It added a little bit of bulk to the phone but it makes me feel secure that my phone is well protected.

Caity

Local time
The main reason I would never want an iPhone is the fanbase. Sure, some of the people actually use it for business and find it useful for emailing and such, but the majority of people I know it, literally bought it just to show they have one.
Also, I wouldn't support a company that overprices their trash then sues another company for money since it's rectangle and feels like a phone.
Then they go and use LTE technology which they didn't create. Hypocritical.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
JenJ, why do you love the S3? What phone did you use to have?

JenJ

Local time
JenJ, why do you love the S3? What phone did you use to have?

I have Verizon and I previously had a LG Vortex. I rooted it and got rid of the bloatware.

I love the Android operating system. I learned how to root/flash it to my Nook Color and my HP Touchpad (which I scored during the fire sale last year). I feel the Android market has good free apps and the few paid ones I have purchased, I have been very happy with.

So when it came time to choose my new phone- I went with the Samsung SIII after reading all the specs and playing with it in-store. The bonus too is that is has a sd card slot so I can expand my storage if I need to, I got the 32gb because I had a $50 credit that made it the same price as the 16gb and there is a 64gb version in the works (or so I have heard) The camera is fantastic and I really like crispness of the display. Some people may think it is too big but even with my case it fits in my jeans pocket and in my wristlet for going out so, Im happy there.

For me it is an Android vs Apple thing but when you find something you like you go with it. If an iphone works for you and you like it, great. I really love my Samsung S3.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I really like the flexibility of Android and have made my mind up. I mean Google this: chameleon launcher

Its an add-on you can use for your tablet or android phone, that lets you customise the home page to look very nice indeed. :) You just can't do that with Apple's products.

JenJ

Local time
I really like the flexibility of Android and have made my mind up. I mean Google this: chameleon launcher

Its an add-on you can use for your tablet or android phone, that lets you customise the home page to look very nice indeed. :) You just can't do that with Apple's products.

Go Locker and ADW also are great launchers with fun themes- and a lot of them are free!

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
I prefer Launcher Pro myself. In ICS, I prefer Nova Launcher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom