Is OOP actually useful? (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:31
When I do the math on what I was paying for corporate insurance and what I was paying in taxes and what was left over to take home, and then compare it to my Social Security plus my 401k rolled into an annuity plus the reduction in insurance through medicare, I broke very close to even. Close enough that we can still put money away in the bank and at the end of each month that is USUALLY a net gain for us. But it was a LOT of years of 401k pay-ins to get that annuity where it is. And it could have been better, but (a) too late to worry now and (b) could have been a lot worse.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:31
I forgot to mention I get about $400 deducted from my paycheck each month for retirement. Which is probably a good thing since I do not manage my money as good as I should. The deduction is probably a little higher than other co-workers (based mostly on age when you started and current salary).

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Which is probably a good thing since I do not manage my money as good as I should.
my father spent 40 years as a financial advisor preaching to senior citizens about how they can manage their money better in retirement and make it last until they depart the earth.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Adam, I think we get your point. OOP is useful if you have a project where it makes a positive difference. You can say that about ANY language feature you want to consider. If it helps, use it. If it doesn't help, don't.

To paraphrase Woody Allen in What's Up, Tiger Lily, "I would call you a sadistic sodomistic necrophile, but that would be beating a dead horse."

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
beating a dead horse."
I thought *both* of us were guilty of that...?? I only posted the article because it came through my google news feed. It makes a great point, and one that is certainly relevant to beginners. If you don't understand the concept of OOP, that certainly doesn't mean you have no chance at doing the job! What could possibly be better to tell someone who doesn't quite make "par" in the eyes of the academics or experts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom