Leonard Nimoy died at 83 (1 Viewer)

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 03:15
Leonard Nimoy, best known for playing the character Spock in the Star Trek television shows and films, died at 83
Thanks for your contribution to my youthful dreams and launch into technology.

Canada Honors Spock on Currency -
http://www.usatoday.com/videos/life/people/2015/03/02/24249709/

I grew up in a very remote area known as the Cherokee Strip located in the Native American (forced) relocation state of Oklahoma. TV stations were too far away except for 2 Channels. After taking a trip to Tulsa, Oklahoma and seeing the first season of Star Treck, it changed my goals. I got some old men to teach me to weld, and they gave me the scrap metal. I built a 4 story tall TV Antenna tower at home. Another engineer helped me pick out an expensive high-gain directional TV antenna and the signal boosters to go with it. Within 4 weeks, I was the only one in the county watching Star Treck on our black and white TV. A few years later, I was accepted to be driven 40 miles each way to an area Vo Tech school to learn electronics repair. My high-school job repairing then expensive 2-way radios put me through college.

Later at the University, I was lucky to personally meet Gene Roddenberry who gave me advice to attend a three week technical training for Sony Broadcast 1 Inch Professional Recorder certification.

It is amazing how a dream can change so many lives if only for the enjoyment.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:15
Leonard did well for someone whose first screen role was in one of the old Saturday morning serial reels. I believe it was "The Purple Ray" or some such title, starring Ray "Crash" Corrigan as a detective investigating strange occurrences in a desert community. Leonard was one of the aliens.

Interestingly enough, Leonard Nimoy and William Shatner co-starred before Star Trek. They were guest stars in an episode of The Man from U.N.C.L.E. in which Leonard was an employee at the Russian Embassy and Bill was from the USA State Department.

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
Today, 10:15
I have very fond memories of Leonard Nimoy, I was always glued to the Original Star Trek series, it was compulsive viewing, and paved the way for many of our trains of innovation thought...

I will remember where I was when I heard the news of his death for many years to come..

Sadly missed, but never forgotten...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom