Microsoft Access: Edge Browser Control is finally here :) (1 Viewer)

jimmykent

Local time
Yesterday, 23:59
Thanks. I first replaced them with an image of just the line of html elements and still got the error. Then I replaced the prefix required for local files since it is a "link" essentially. Still got the error. Then I replaced the entire post with an image. Whatever it takes I say!

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 06:59
Hmm, I just copied your post from AF.net https://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=88838 and pasted here.
On a phone, your pic is hard to read, this should be better. Good luck.

Using Access 365 on Windows 10, I have had inconsistent results using the new Edge Browser Control (EBC). Specifically trying to display locally stored PDF files. I am using the Navigate method in VBA with the required prefix (https://msaccess/) as directed. In the form containing the EBC I created a few public properties, including one for the local file path, that can be manipulated at runtime. On a fresh opening, each one of three PDFs display fine (I'll refer to them as 1,2, and 3). However, when navigating between them with the form left open utilizing the Navigate method, PDF 3 displays fine but 1 and 2 each result in a blank white page. Here is the html showing in the browsers dev tools I inspected:

"<html><head></head><body style="overflow: auto;"></body></html>"

After capturing the NavigateError event, I found it is giving a Status Code 8 - Host Name Not Resolved.

All three PDFS are in the same folder.

Any ideas?

DalynSoft

Local time
Today, 15:29
It sounds similar (but different) to my problem in post 141 and 142. Still haven't heard if this has been addressed.

jimmykent

Local time
Yesterday, 23:59
It sounds similar (but different) to my problem in post 141 and 142. Still haven't heard if this has been addressed.
Could be. My paths and filenames have spaces in them though they all display fine when first viewed. And two of the four I've tested with don't exhibit the problem. Which could indicate it's something to do with the PDF themselves(?).

DalynSoft

Local time
Have you checked the official Access blog where many (not all) bug fixes get listed
I have just checked and couldn't see anything. I retested my test database and it still shows the same behavior. I have version 2310.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
@DalynSoft
Its been a while & I can no longer remember what you are referring to somewhere in this over long thread

Can you just repeat what problem(s) you have so I can see if I can replicate them.
Please also report the problem in the Feedback Portal and send me the link. I will then alert the Access team

cheekybuddha

AWF VIP
Local time
If your paths contain spaces or special characters then you will likely have to urlencode them to pass them to the browser control.

No browser accepts a url with actual spaces in it.

They are usually replaced with a + or %20

Last edited:

DalynSoft

Local time
@DalynSoft
Its been a while & I can no longer remember what you are referring to somewhere in this over long thread

Can you just repeat what problem(s) you have so I can see if I can replicate them.
Please also report the problem in the Feedback Portal and send me the link. I will then alert the Access team
Hi Colin. Thanks for this - much appreciated.

The problem is described in post 141 and a sample database is attached to post 142 (top of page 8).

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Thanks. If you are talking about spaces in file names, you already have the answer from @cheekybuddha. Use the Replace function on the file name to replaces all spaces with %20. All browsers deal with that automatically. Are you saying the Edge browser control doesn’t but you want it to do so?

If it’s something else I’ll have a look at your DB, but please follow up by reporting the issue in the feedback portal yourself

DalynSoft

Local time
Thanks. If you are talking about spaces in file names, you already have the answer from @cheekybuddha. Use the Replace function on the file name to replaces all spaces with %20. All browsers deal with that automatically. Are you saying the Edge browser control doesn’t but you want it to do so?

If it’s something else I’ll have a look at your DB, but please follow up by reporting the issue in the feedback portal yourself

No it is not about spaces in names. It is about webpages not staying shown when the control source is updated.

I have reported on feedback portal and emailed you the link. There is also an update copy of the sample database there.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
OK thanks. Its late here. I'll look at it tomorrow

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hmm. I tried your example app & can't get anything to display, not even briefly
I'm using A365 v2311 build 17029.20000

I tried replacing with a listbox populated by a table tblURL on a form without tabs.
Still nothing happened
I added the table to the Trusted Domains property. Still nothing

By setting the browser control source to a URL it will display a webpage but I can no longer get it to navigate to a selected URL
This appears to be a recent change as I'm sure it used to work

Will do some more investigating

DalynSoft

Local time
Hmm. I tried your example app & can't get anything to display, not even briefly
I'm using A365 v2311 build 17029.20000
Interesting. The original problem showed in version 2306 and hadn't changed in the latest I am using (2310). I assume you are clicking on one of the other tabs and then back to tab 3 and it is still not showing anything (this shows the webpage for me).

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Just tested on a Windows tablet running the earlier build 17022.20000 and the browser control worked fine
The website loaded perfectly and didn't disappear.
However, on changing tabs & returning the tab 3, the webpage didn't load at all

I updated my tablet to the latest build 17029.20000 and could no longer get anything to happen using your form.
With my listbox variation, the first page loaded but it doesn't update on changing the selection

I have a similar form in another test app that worked last week but now doesn't

Attachments

• EdgeBrowserTest.accdb
    420 KB · Views: 80

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I've reported the latest issues to the Access team who will investigate. I also provided a link to the last few posts in this thread and the feedback portal item

Another possibly related issue with the Edge browser posted on a German Access forum was also reported today

DalynSoft

Local time
I've reported the latest issues to the Access team who will investigate. I also provided a link to the last few posts in this thread and the feedback portal item
Thanks. I tested your file and also do not get any websites showing.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Thanks. I tested your file and also do not get any websites showing.

As mentioned, my form with the listbox worked in version 2311 build 17022.20000 but not once I updated to 17029.20000
The same was true for your tabbed form in the earlier version

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
@DalynSoft
The Access team have acknowledged that some unwanted behaviour has occurred with the new Edge browser control.
This was partly caused by unrelated changes made by another team. Unfortunately, this caused the Navigate method to stop working.

The team responsible have been informed and a fix should be released in the near future.
I have received confirmation that the fix will also solve the issue you reported.
I will provide further information when the fix is released.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
@DalynSoft
I've just updated to version 2312 build 17031.20000 (Beta Channel) and the issues have now both been fixed.
I have checked with the Access team and the fix is now implemented in all builds from 17024.42128 or later
Restart Access for this to be implemented

Please can you check both your test form & mine in the attached & let me know the results

Attachments

• EdgeBrowserTest.zip
    37.1 KB · Views: 70

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom