Misleading error message on insert URL for new users (1 Viewer)

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 08:22
Often a solution has already been published on the web. It should be easy to guide someone to this solution.
Oh, that is so true, however that means you have to Google for it, which a lot of people seem incapable of doing? :(

Thomas Möller

Local time
Today, 09:22
Oh, that is so true, however that means you have to Google for it, which a lot of people seem incapable of doing? :(
Sometimes it's not easy to find the right terms for Google searches.
So, I don't blame every poster for not finding the right solution. Sometimes I have to try by myself a few times to find the right terms.
So, for the easy searches: I am with you. For the not so obvious terms: I like this kind of puzzle.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I refer new members to these two threads regarding signature and profile links:

https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/threads/signature-links.312886/

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Why so keen on posting a link?
Definition of forum spam, according to Wikipedia:
Forum spam consists of posts on Internet forums that contains related or unrelated advertisements, links to malicious websites, trolling and abusive or otherwise unwanted information.

Defintiion of advertisement:
A notice or announcement in a public medium promoting a product, service, or event or publicizing a job vacancy.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Please edit your profile and forum signature after reading the links again.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Let me explain the problem here. You have 3 Access related posts. All those posts drop links or mention your products. That is spam. Your had 3 links in your profile signature. That is spam. You are only allowed 2 signature links after 1000+ posts. Your profile also has a link, which is not allowed until 1000+ posts.

While your products may be relevant, so are the Access data recovery providers who also keep creating new profiles to drop links. My job is to help keep forum spam down, and therefore we have to have rules in place for the benefit of all users.

You are more than welcome to participate in the forum for helping others, or getting help yourself. But you cannot sign up and start advertising.

Thomas Möller

Local time
Today, 09:22
Jon
let's end this discussion before you get more gray hairs because of me. ;) I just misunderstood your message regarding the number of links in the signature. I assumed 2. I didn't really notice the addition that +1000 posts are needed for this because of the advert right below. My mistake. I'm sorry. I beg your pardon.
The links posted here point to a project on GitHub. It's licensed under the MIT license, which means it's completely free. It's not my intention at this point to make money with it. Instead, I want to make Access a little better. The tool names say it all: Better Access...
After I have updated my signature, I wish you a nice evening!
Greetings
Thomas

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
The links posted here point to a project on GitHub. It's licensed under the MIT license, which means it's completely free. It's not my intention at this point to make money with it. Instead, I want to make Access a little better. The tool names say it all: Better Access...
Unsolicited links from new members are spam. It doesn't matter if you are promoting something free, a blog or whatever. This rule applies to most forums. You can argue about it all you like, but anyone spamming will say theirs is the exception to the rule.

You have been dropping links everywhere. Signatures, profiles, all Access related posts. Then starting threads about how to drop links. Mentioning the start of your product in the last post. I am at the point of banning your account for spamming.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 00:22
Definition of forum spam, according to Wikipedia:

Defintiion of advertisement:
I especially like the "related products" (which most people actually have in their signature for their special website), and "unwanted".
If I had a nickel for every unwanted thing I've seen...:LOL:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom