Movies

Heh, guess I may have gotten carried away. But what else am I going to do while sitting in a cubicle? I'm less than 24 hours away from being in a tropical island, so my work ethic is somewhat lacking at the moment.:D

PS-
"Farenelli"--my music professor told me about this one. It's about a famous castrato
"The Land Before Time"--only the first one, they made like ten of these. I liked it when I was a kid, at least
"The Saint"--I give it 2 1/2 stars, which equals pretty good
Pink Floyd's "The Wall"--if you like Pink Floyd, this is excellent...otherwise, no
"The Great Train Robbery"--Donald Sutherland and Sean Connery are in it
"The Unbearable Lightness of Being"
"Uncovered"--Kate Beckinsale in a murder mystery

Last edited:
Tasslehoff said:
Heh, guess I may have gotten carried away. But what else am I going to do while sitting in a cubicle? I'm less than 24 hours away from being in a tropical island, so my work ethic is somewhat lacking at the moment

Just joshing with you chief (it's good for morale) ;)

I once got a bit carried away discussing the way the tension builds in Jaws, using various points to illustrate my argiument, only to finish, and have the other person look at me blankly, pause, then reply 'Yeah, but it's cr*p, 'cos the shark doesn't look real'.

Enjoy the sun and I'll be here, not jealous in the slightest.

P.S. Don't know if they've been on anybody's list yet but how about

Swingers
Cyrano de Bergerac
The Maginificent Seven

None could be claimed to be masterpieces, but I could watch them all agaiun and again.

Matt Greatorex said:
The Maginificent Seven
QUOTE]

A good movie...did you know that it is a remake of "Seven Samurai"?

Oh, and "Cyrano de Bergerac" is a great movie. Years since I saw it last in my french class...should probably look it up.

Last edited:
And I just noticed I spelled it incorrectly, ah well it's Friday. Start of a long weekend in Canada.:D

At the risk of offending some purists, as much as I like the original, I do prefer the Yul Brynner version. Wasn't keen on that one set in space, though. Battle Beyond the Stars, or something like that?

I also preferred the spaghetti western remakes of the 'lone samurai' films. Each to his/her own, I guess.

In general, I tend to hate remakes. Unless the film is adding something, i can't see a good reason to make it again (outside of the financial ones). The Poseidon Adventure, The Longest Yard, the Amityville Horror, Assault on Precinct 13, The Stepford Wives, The Hills Have Eyes, all dire. I've lost count of the number of poor versions of films I loved and can't say I'm looking forward to the new Warriors, either.

Can anyone think of a genuinely good remake? To clarify, not just an Eastern-Western remake, but a film that was made in the West and remade well in the West?

Matt Greatorex said:
In general, I tend to hate remakes. Unless the film is adding something, i can't see a good reason to make it again
I think the Magnificent Seven did add something. The similarity between ronins and gunslingers allows the basic plot to be copied, but just as Seven Samurai was also commentary on the Japanese life, The Magnificent Seven had commnetary on Old Western life.

As for a good remake, not Eastern-Western...hmmm...the only good remakes I can think of don't remake the movie, but create a new movie on the same story...if that makes sense. Examples: the dracula movies, shakespeare movies (particullarly Romeo and Juliet and Scotland PA)

Remakes that are purely remakes can only really be improved by better acting, better sound, better filming...and that might never have happened. Witness: the ones you listed, Pride and Prejudice, The Lion in Winter, etc.

To be fair, you didn't ask for remakes that were better, just ones that were done well. King Kong was, actually, fairly well received. As was Willy Wonka, although the style of the remake is so vastly different than the original they're practically different movies. (Although, sometimes that's exactly what a remake should do.)

I've not seen the original, but I'm a big fan of The Thomas Crown Affair. (If you don't mind a little breast nudidty, Ken, this is an excellent movie.) Some other good/well-received remakes are: Father of the Bride, the Humphry Bogart version of The Maltese Flacon (if you can believe that), The Manchurian Candidate, and Red Dragon. I'm sure there are more, I just listed the ones I know about that are similar to the original and not a completely different story sharing the same premise.

This list is helpful. :)

Rich said:
King Kong

Yep, I'd say that this falls into the category. While it didn't have the same emotional appeal as the original, the remake certainly made full use of the special effects available today.

Kraj said:
This list is helpful

And pretty depressing reading, for someone who's into his films.:(

Well, let me tell you , that in my personal opinion, if they tried to remake Casablanca, or even To Have or Have Not, I would be annoyed. I don't think any of Humphrey Bogart's films should be remade. Some things should be considered sacred, and be left alone. MHO

Lisa

lmnop7854 said:
Well, let me tell you , that in my personal opinion, if they tried to remake Casablanca, or even To Have or Have Not, I would be annoyed. I don't think any of Humphrey Bogart's films should be remade. Some things should be considered sacred, and be left alone. MHO

As far as I'm concerned, there are very few films which should be remade, from anything other than a financial perspective. New technology and 'pretty people' rarely compensate for decent acting or genuine suspense (makers of the House of Wax remake please take note;). Also, what appear now to be ropey special effects are often part of the charm of a lot of older films.

I distinctly remember when the wreck that was Deep Blue Sea came out, some critic said it was 'the new Jaws', only for another to describe it as what Jaws would have been like if you took the brain out of the story and put it into the shark.

lmnop7854 said:
I don't think any of Humphrey Bogart's films should be remade. Some things should be considered sacred, and be left alone. MHO

Lisa

Normally, I would tend to agree about the remaking of classics. However, Sabrina's remake was wonderful, I thought.

For anyone who thinks there is no substance in anime “Grave of the Fireflies” is a very powerful movie.

Bodisathva said:
OMG, people!:eek: Am I blind or have people been discussing "All time greats" and no one included:

1. JAWS
  2. Star Wars (any of them)
  3. Star Trek (OK...the even ones)
  4. Lord of the Rings
  5. SNATCH

All time greats?

Star Wars? Crap.
Star Trek? Crap. (Great show though, although Deep Space Nine was rotten)
Lord of the Rings. Fanwank.
Snatch. Come on.
Jaws. Yeah, that's a classic.

SJ McAbney said:
All time greats?

Star Wars? Crap.
Star Trek? Crap. (Great show though, although Deep Space Nine was rotten)
Lord of the Rings. Fanwank.
Snatch. Come on.
Jaws. Yeah, that's a classic.

O.o

Two questions:
What planet are you from and who was your favorite Star Trek captain?
Personally, I think Kirk was the best.

I just watched "The Machinist". It's worth watching if only to see how incredibly THIN the main actor got for the part. All I could think while watching the movie was, "Now THAT is dedication."

Also I just watched "Velvet Goldmine"...which is pretty freakin' strange... I almost stopped watching it in the first half hour, because you have to watch guys kissing each other...one of whom being Ewan McGreggor--OBI WAN KENOBI.

Tasslehoff said:
What planet are you from
Earth.

What's your reason for asking the question? Are you suggesting that my own opinion is wrong? I personally don't think films like The Lord of the Rings can be deemed classics when they are barely off the screen; that need to give things superlatives in this current age irks me. It's like calling someone who has appeared in a reality TV show or slept with someone in the public eye a celebrity.

and who was your favorite Star Trek captain?
Personally, I think Kirk was the best.

Captain Pike.

Seriously though, since I've never seen the pilot episode, I favour Picard. Patrick Stewart is an excellent actor and the stories, to me, elicited far more pathos than some womanising action here, which was the essence of Kirk.

I almost stopped watching it in the first half hour, because you have to watch guys kissing each other.

It's actually quite easy if you are okay with your sexuality. ;)

SJ McAbney said:
...It's actually quite easy if you are okay with your sexuality. ;)

Or maybe you are contemplating coming out of the so-called 'closet'? :eek: :D :D

SJ McAbney said:
What's your reason for asking the question? Are you suggesting that my own opinion is wrong?
Perhaps it's because you didn't say "I personally didn't like those films" and instead simply called them crap?

Kraj said:
Perhaps it's because you didn't say "I personally didn't like those films" and instead simply called them crap?

Surely crap is implicit in stating that I personally didn't like them? If I'd said 'we all know they are crap...' then that means it's not my opinion, but just me being stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom