Movies

statsman said:
Probably because the Braves and Nationals are having poor seasons.

At long last - a baseball fan - :)

Yes they are having bit of bad luck these days aren't they...:rolleyes:

Kraj said:
I'm honestly shocked. I guess they aren't fond of Civil War movies in the south? ;) :p

That's because it wasn't a "Civil War." It was the "War of Northern Aggression!":) :D

ShaneMan said:
That's because it wasn't a "Civil War." It was the "War of Northern Aggression!":) :D

Here here! Well put. ;)

KenHigg said:
Yes they are having bit of bad luck these days aren't they...:rolleyes:

Maybe if Chipper could stop hurting himself everytime he comes within a few yards of the ball...:p

dan-cat said:
Maybe if Chipper could stop hurting himself everytime he comes within a few yards of the ball...:p

I'm guessing the gang goes first to worst this year :mad:

Well, Well. It seems this thread has finally been hijacked. To get back on topic:

I recently rented and watched the newest version of "Rent", which is based on a Broadway musical, which is based on a Puccini opera (La Boheme). It is supposed to be a rock opera, but I think it sounds like they just added guitar to usual broadway-style singing. Nevertheless, I liked it and some of the songs stick in my head pleasantly. I don't think I'll ever forget that there are 525, 600 minutes in a year, for one thing--that's in the first song in the movie. It can be corny, and the acting is more suited to broadway than the silver screen...but just ignore it and it turns out alright.

All in all, three stars. Which for me translates into "An enjoyable movie that you know you will watch again, and leaves you thinking about it afterward."

Most of the songs are original, but I think the best music in it, by far, is the guitar version of "Musetta's Waltz" that is played occasionaly.

I also rented the new movie "Running Scared", and it seemed better than the usual shite put out nowadays, but half-way through the disc was seriously scratched. :mad: Seriously, can't people rent movies from Blockbuster and refrain from destroying them?:(

Oh yeah, and "Hediwg and the Angry Inch" turned out to be pretty good; it is also a three star movie, for me.

I have yet to see the movie version of Rent, but everything I've heard about it is pretty much in agreement that's it's good but nowhere near as extraordinary as is it on stage (in fact, you've just revealed that the most popular song opens the movie instead of opening the second act, which I find irritating.) I highly recommend seeing a stage production if possible.

The fact they are remaking Running Scared, a little-known but well-loved cop comedy-mystery with Billy Crystal and Gregory Hines, confirms that Hollywood has officially run out of movie ideas. They've remade/sequaled/prequaled all the popular movies, they've remade/sequaled/prequaled all the semi-popular movies. All they have left is to remake/sequal/prequal terrible movies. "Ishtar 2" anyone? "Howard the Duck Begins"? "The Jennifer Lopez Trillogy"?

:rolleyes:

Kraj said:
The fact they are remaking Running Scared, a little-known but well-loved cop comedy-mystery with Billy Crystal and Gregory Hines, confirms that Hollywood has officially run out of movie ideas.

:rolleyes:

Uhh, I don't think this was a remake of that movie--it just has the same name:D . Speaking of Billy Crystal, I used to love "City Slickers" back in the day. Thinking back on it, however, I don't think it was very good...:(

Tasslehoff said:
Uhh, I don't think this was a remake of that movie--it just has the same name:D
Thank God for small favors. I guess I'll have to wait for the next crappy remake to snobbily declare Hollywood as officially out of ideas. ;)

Tasslehoff said:
Speaking of Billy Crystal, I used to love "City Slickers" back in the day. Thinking back on it, however, I don't think it was very good...:(
I still like that movie very much. The "best day/worst day" scene gets to me every time.

Speaking of entertainment...

Cupcake, the in-laws and I are going to see this tonight...

Stay tuned... :p

Well, I saw the new Pirates of the Carribean movie last Friday, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I have to say that fact is owed tremendously to the presence onscreen of Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom, however, I also think it was a hoot. I mean, it is not a movie made for substance, it is meant to be a fun movie, and I think it succeeded. I think it was on par with the first movie, as so few sequels are.

I have to admit, in the first movie I thought Johnny Depp had a somewhat effeminate affectation for Captain Jack. In this movie, I think it is even more pronounced. Unless, of course, that is his way of acting drunk. :p

Lisa

lmnop7854 said:
I have to admit, in the first movie I thought Johnny Depp had a somewhat effeminate affectation for Captain Jack. In this movie, I think it is even more pronounced. Unless, of course, that is his way of acting drunk.
Read somewhere that Depp based that character on Keith Richards:eek:

Bodisathva said:
Read somewhere that Depp based that character on Keith Richards:eek:

I haven't seen enough of Keith Richards, at least his walk or affectations to see that. However, in the next movie, Keith is his good ol' dad. Can't wait for that one.

Lisa

Lisa, agreed on all points, though I didn't think it was quite as good as the first but still a worthy sequal by all accounts. As before, the character of Elizabeth was given the most depth (though not in the literal sense, har har) and she continued to develop in interesting ways but that also made sense.

My biggest criticism was that the plot borrowed too heavily from the first movie. We've got another cursed ship, crewed by immortal monsters who can only be defeated by locating a special treasure. Regardless, it was still a ton of fun to watch. And I loved the creepy voodoo lady. "How about an undead monkey?" :D

Kraj said:
Lisa, agreed on all points, though I didn't think it was quite as good as the first but still a worthy sequal by all accounts. As before, the character of Elizabeth was given the most depth (though not in the literal sense, har har) and she continued to develop in interesting ways but that also made sense.

My biggest criticism was that the plot borrowed too heavily from the first movie. We've got another cursed ship, crewed by immortal monsters who can only be defeated by locating a special treasure. Regardless, it was still a ton of fun to watch. And I loved the creepy voodoo lady. "How about an undead monkey?" :D

I also thought the wheel scene was incredible. As soon as I saw the wheel connected to the building they were on, I thought, "Cool! They are going to run on the wheel!" I had no idea how far they would take it. And I heard that that scene was very challenging to film.

Ok, for all of you who haven't seen it, I am sorry. That's all I will give away.

Lisa

lmnop7854 said:
Unless, of course, that is his way of acting drunk. :p

Lisa

If you want to see how Depp portrays "wasted", then see "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas". It's R, but no nudity or sex. Just cursing and extreme drug use. Depp spent a month in the basement of Hunter S. Thompson, the character he plays, to prepare for the role.

When do you think Hollywood will make a film of the twin towers thing and the Pentagon crash on 11/9?

I reckon that'll be good if they don't spoil it by using stupidly obvious special effects:rolleyes: - maybe they can incorporate real news footage. . . . .

Col

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom