Movies

Sort of. The difference is when you state an opinion as if it were a fact then you can pretty much expect to elicit a negative reaction. For example, I can't stand the Beastie Boys. They annoy the hell out of me. However, a lot of people love them and they're one of the most successful and long-lived rap groups of all time. I can say, "the Beastie Boys suck" because that's my opinion. But I've actually stated it as if it were fact, which is completely false.

Kraj said:
because that's my opinion. But I've actually stated it as if it were fact, which is completely false.
...which feeds our inherent nature to prove our beliefs (and therefore ourselves) to be correct.

some of us have a more highly developed need for self-justification than others, though:eek:

SJ McAbney said:
Surely crap is implicit in stating that I personally didn't like them? If I'd said 'we all know they are crap...' then that means it's not my opinion, but just me being stupid.

Seems 'Crap' just wasn't up to your usually well articulated 'review' type comments is all - :) :)

Woah, man. Chill. I asked what planet you were from because I have NEVER heard of anyone not liking some of those movies. I don't really care if you don't like them...just a joke...just thought I'd never see anyone say that. Refreshing, really, to know that not everybody likes Star Wars.

Oh yeah, and Jean Luc is an awesome captain--he's the captain I got started on. I guess I picked Kirk over him because I like Spock over Data...not really logical to do that, but hey I'm no Vulcan.:D

EDIT
BTW, have you seen the newest version of Star Trek? I watched it all and thought it was at least up to par. Right before they cancelled it, it got pretty good.
And another question: Which Trek girl do you like best? Seven of Nine, T'Pal,...those other ones....?
END EDIT

And I DID watch the rest of Velvet Goldmine and kind of liked it--I even just rented "Hedwig and the Angry Inch", which is another glam rock movie. As far as coming to terms with my sexuality give me some TIME. Ten years ago I still thought girls were "icky":o

Anywho,

"Ace Ventura Pet Detective" is pretty good if you like Jim Carry

and "Berserk", the series. Pretty violent and animated, but better than the Star Trek movies, at least:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Tasslehoff said:
"Ace Ventura Pet Detective" is pretty good if you like Jim Carry

I love Jim Carrey, and after seeing his later films, Ace kind of fell off my list. That's why "Bruce Almighty" is on my list of classics (I mean, good movies, since it is pretty recent, Stu). And I like "Liar Liar" too.

Lisa

lmnop7854 said:
I love Jim Carrey, and after seeing his later films, Ace kind of fell off my list.

Lisa

But what about the scene when he goes mission impossible style all over the place? I will never stop loving that scene. His later movies are really good, too--just more serious.

Quite true. The Mask was rather underrated, I think, as was The Truman Show (I still can't figure out why so many people think it sucked :confused: ).

Kraj said:
Quite true. The Mask was rather underrated, I think, as was The Truman Show (I still can't figure out why so many people think it sucked :confused: ).
Thankfully, I've never spoken to anyone who uttered the words "The Truman Show sucked!" And therefore, I am still happily living in my own world.

I recomend seeing Cave of the Yellow Dog if you can but it might be hard to track down. Not sure if it has been released in the states.

(Subtitles) Directed by Byambasuren Davaa a German Mongolian

The cover story is light hearted folk law (no spoilers). The real story is daily life as nomadic Mongolians, and how they embrace their own mortality where it not always possible to protect your curious and playful children from all the dangers in the wilderness. Of course this is only one of many lives. Featuring a real life family of nomads shot in a documentary style and the cutest children you ever did see. Their existence is fruitful and prosperous. Not in money terms but as hinted they would loose out if they went to live in the city. A must see if not for cute children just being themselves.

"Stop it. You can't play with God," warns Nansalmaa, as her baby brother tries put a china Buddha in his mouth "I'm telling Mom!" :D

So, Ken... did you end up watching Glory or Clue yet?

Kraj said:
So, Ken... did you end up watching Glory or Clue yet?

They didn't have Glory at the local blockbuster... :rolleyes: I may have to try looking in one of the other video stores...

We watched 'The Upside to Anger' last week end. I think that's what was called... Pretty good I guess - Kind of a girlie flick :)

KenHigg said:
They didn't have Glory at the local blockbuster... :rolleyes: I may have to try looking in one of the other video stores...
I'm honestly shocked. I guess they aren't fond of Civil War movies in the south? ;) :p

Kraj said:
I'm honestly shocked. I guess they aren't fond of Civil War movies in the south? ;) :p

Nah, you guys whipped us pretty good...:mad:

KenHigg said:
Nah, you guys whipped us pretty good...:mad:
On that note, I have to share this...

I'm assuming that because of the proximity of Gettysburg and the Mason Dixon Line, you'll find lots and lots of Rebel Flags around here...houses, flag poles, trucks, t-shirts, hats, etc. Anyway, saw a woman walking though the grocery store this weekend wearing a shirt with a Rebel Flag, the universal "no" symbol ( circle w/line through it), and the caption read "You lost. Get over it".:eek: My wife and I were in stitches:D

Bodisathva said:
On that note, I have to share this...

I'm assuming that because of the proximity of Gettysburg and the Mason Dixon Line, you'll find lots and lots of Rebel Flags around here...houses, flag poles, trucks, t-shirts, hats, etc. Anyway, saw a woman walking though the grocery store this weekend wearing a shirt with a Rebel Flag, the universal "no" symbol ( circle w/line through it), and the caption read "You lost. Get over it".:eek: My wife and I were in stitches:D

Don't see the humor :mad:

(:p )

Bodisathva said:
"You lost. Get over it".:eek: My wife and I were in stitches:D

I live back in the mountains in Virginia and when I went to high school about half the kids owned at least one rebel flag shirt. All the jocks had jacked-up pick-up trucks with one headlight, and come the opening of hunting season the school was empty. Down here, the war isn't over. "Damn yankees" is a saying that can commonly be heard.

Actually, the Confederate flag had severe racial overtones during the 1960's. I'm sure some of that lingers in Northern minds.

By the way, the South didn't lose they came in second (Jefferson Davis' family still has the silver medal).

Tasslehoff said:
Down here, the war isn't over. "Damn yankees" is a saying that can commonly be heard.

Probably because the Braves and Nationals are having poor seasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom