Movies

The_Doc_Man said:
or bloody Welsh.

Do you have a beef with the Welsh, aside from Burton that is? :confused: :D

Yes, would be interested to hear this one.

What is it about my countrymen/women that you feel warrants the 'bloody' prefix?

Didn't like Silence of the Lambs? Resentful of the fact that our Cath married Spartacus' son? Thought Delilah encouraged domestic violence? What is it? :D

"bloody Welsh" is a quote from The Replacements, which was also on my list. Place-kicker Nigel Gruff was Welsh. The way he used "bloody Welsh" is about the way we use "mother...." i.e. as part of a single phrase. So I guess I just assumed.

And yes, since Richard Burton was Welsh and made such a mess of so many films, I've got a beef with the Welsh for letting him escape the country. Or was that not an escape but an ejection?

My own vote for sequels improving on the original is Spiderman 2 and an equal nod to X-Men 2.

How about Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's chest

I haven't seen it, but it was the highest grossing movie for opening week

I forgot you guys put your movie names in Italics :P

The_Doc_Man said:
My own vote for sequels improving on the original is Spiderman 2 and an equal nod to X-Men 2.
I definitely agree on X-Men 2, but I thought Spiderman 2 was equally good as the first. I felt like the movies were very different in many ways and I liked them for different reasons. What I liked most about Spiderman 2 was the progression between the characters' relationships. They could have easily maintained the status quo between Peter and Mary as a running theme but instead they developed it in a way that made sense. Similarly, they could have made Peter's guilty secret hidden from Aunt Mae a part of the status quo but instead they developed that aspect of their relationship.

The_Doc_Man said:
"bloody Welsh" is a quote from The Replacements, which was also on my list. Place-kicker Nigel Gruff was Welsh. The way he used "bloody Welsh" is about the way we use "mother...." i.e. as part of a single phrase. So I guess I just assumed.

And yes, since Richard Burton was Welsh and made such a mess of so many films, I've got a beef with the Welsh for letting him escape the country. Or was that not an escape but an ejection?

Since it came from that film, it's forgiveable. I also loved the comment about his character being in shape 'by Welsh standards' (cigarette in one hand, glass of beer in the other). :D

In Btron's defence, I did enjoy Wild Geese, Where Eagles Dare and Zulu. Since had a hand in all three, I'm going to forgive him.

Matt Greatorex said:
and Zulu.
All time classic that everybody should have in their collection along with
Lawrence of Arabia
Bridge on the River Kwai
Blazing Saddles
Airplane
Kentucky fried movie
The Dollar movies
Beauty and the Beast
Jungle Book
:cool:

ColinEssex said:
When do you think Hollywood will make a film of the twin towers thing

Just saw the trailer yesterday - called "World Trade Center", with Nicholas Cage. Had to say, just watching the trailer choked me and the BF up for a few minutes....

Lisa

I took my grandson to see the Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest movie. Johnny Depp was again hilarious. The make-up effects of the denizens of Davey Jones's locker were nothing short of fabulous. If that movie doesn't get an academy aware for make-up effects, I don't want to see the one that gets it. INCREDIBLE.

The movie is lots of fun, too, even if some of the action is incredulous and at the same time predictable. The treatment itself is the fun part. Further, it hits you so fast with so many visually rich images that you don't have time to be a critic until long after the movie is over.

lmnop7854 said:
Just saw the trailer yesterday - called "World Trade Center", with Nicholas Cage. Had to say, just watching the trailer choked me and the BF up for a few minutes....

Lisa

Yeah, it chokes me up that they would make a movie about such a tragedy. They stand to make billions off of this one! Got to love Hollywood! :D

Took my grandson to see Monster House last weekend. It was very well done, quite impressive in its own way. But VERY intense. Adults with a hidden "childhood" streak will enjoy it as a "ghost in the attic" type of movie taken to the extreme that only a cartoon could take you.

Vassago,

Yeah, it chokes me up that they would make a movie about such a tragedy.

On the other hand, that is always the way of film makers. Look at the sinking of the Titanic. World Wars One and Two. Korea. Vietnam. Look at "true crime" stories about Al Capone, John Dillinger, Bonnie Parker & Clyde Barrow. Pick any tragedy you want to name, big or small. There will be at least a made-for-TV movie about it if not a bigger theatrical release.

I believe this is done because Hollywood (and don't say that the British studios don't do this either...) seeks things that will "sell" if they can.

Why do they know it will sell? Because people have certain characteristics that can easily be exploited. One, for example, is "morbid curiosity." The messiest events you can name will bring on crowds of onlookers.

At accidents everywhere, people stand and gawk at the mess. Even on the road, "rubber-neckers" cause tons of congestion even after the real accident has been moved to the side of the road out of all traffic lanes.

Take a look at movies that DON'T report real-life events. Action, horror, and even blood-bath movies (early Roger Corman, for example) do well despite the cheesy stories and poor cinematograpy. Of course, we owe one thing to Roger Corman - I believe it was in one of his early color offerings that he or one of his crew members discovered that Karo syrup and #6 Red Dye make a perfect screen substitute for blood, even to attracting flies after it pools. But I digress...

I guess my question to you, Vassago, is why WOULDN'T a movie or two or fifty be made of the 9/11 tragedy?

My only thought on that matter is because such a thing was held in such high contempt when it happened. TV show openings that features the twin towers were re-edited, movies that featured them were redited or scrapped altogether. I guess the idea, then, is to go from "it's an outrage and even crass to even reference the World Trade Center for entertainement" to "let's make a movie just about 9/11" is rather hypocritical.

Kraj, I think it is time that we de-elevated the 9/11 tragedy from a pedestal to something we can actually talk about. Not trivialize, though Hollywood will do that now and again, but at least examine.

De-elevation is merely one more part of the healing process. Otherwise we will never get on with our lives.

I agree. If I thought for one second that was the motivation behind it I'd be all for it. Call me cynical but I'm sure it's just all about the money.

I went to see Talladega Nights last Friday, and I haven't laughed that hard at a comedy in years. Usually I go to movies that are supposed to be funny, and I just sit there and smile or snicker in certain areas - maybe even laugh out loud once or twice. I was rolling at this movie. I thought it was great. Will Ferrell is hilarious. And I know many people would not think the same way, but I loved it!!

Lisa

My husband is a policeman here in CO and our city's PD/FD got free tickets to a preview screening of World Trade Center and we went. Everyone I talked to after thought it was very well done - basically just the story of these two Port Authority cops that got trapped and were rescued. No over the top story or hokey special effects. I was glad..cause I was a little concerned it being an Oliver Stone flick, cause he can be a bit of a nut-job :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom