My trip and the NHL

Rich said:
Did you ever score?

HA! Many times. (Do I detect a hint of cynicism or a double-entendre in that question?) :D

hooks said:
I am going to get in trouble with all of you on the other side of the pond but i have a few comments regarding Soccer - Football whatever you call it. I went through a phase of watching this stuff. It was ok to watch and i appreciated the skill of the players. What i hated about it was that anytime someone barley touches someone else they fall to their knees like they are really hurt. Then as soon as they blow the whistle the player hops up and is perfectly ok. What a joke. Play like men. I got sick of that and quit watching.

Thats all for now.

i have similar feelings regarding football/soccer - i love the game but it annoys me how slight contact results in a player faking a dive/injury. i also hate the way that players give the referee dog's abuse at every turn - it is prevalent from the professional game right down to the sunday league numpties.

try watching rugby, the players have a different, more honourable ethos and if you see a player on the ground not getting back up he really will be hurting.

the referees also get a lot of respect in rugby, if you talk back to the ref you will be binned for 10 minutes - football really should try that, the bad behaviour of players would soon stop.

MrsGorilla said:
(Do I detect a hint of cynicism or a double-entendre in that question?) :D
Moi, surely not;) :D

hooks said:
I am going to get in trouble with all of you on the other side of the pond but i have a few comments regarding Soccer - Football whatever you call it. I went through a phase of watching this stuff. It was ok to watch and i appreciated the skill of the players. What i hated about it was that anytime someone barley touches someone else they fall to their knees like they are really hurt. Then as soon as they blow the whistle the player hops up and is perfectly ok. What a joke. Play like men. I got sick of that and quit watching.

I know what you are saying, but I have also seen this kind of behavior in hockey. The other night I was watching a game, and a player skated by the opposing goalie and came close to touching him, and the goalie fell dramatically to the ice. There was no call made, but they should be using the embellishment rule a little more, I think. Usually, they only call embellishment when they also call the other guy for tripping or hooking or whatever, which makes no sense to me - if he was embellishing, how is there a real infraction? So I think they need to get with it on that one, too.

Lisa

MrsGorilla said:
You're far too innocent for that kind of behaviour. :cool:
Yes, I'm still not sure whether it was auspicious on my mothers part to deny me Catholicism or not, I just make the best of my naivety as I can:o ;) :D

Rich said:
Yes, I'm still not sure whether it was auspicious on my mothers part to deny me Catholicism or not, I just make the best of my naivety as I can:o ;) :D

Please don't make me choke on my drink. I know what a naughty boy you are. :cool:

I once seen a hockey player take a slap-shot in his ankle shattering it. This happened in the 1st period and he refused to take off his skate because he knew that his ankle would swell and he would not be able to put the skate back on. He finished the game. Ive also seen hockey player play with broked arms and legs. It is amazing.

Rich said:
Me!:eek: hell I still don't know how I ended up with a family:confused:

If you haven't figured that out yet then you have more problems than I thought. :D

hooks said:
I once seen a hockey player take a slap-shot in his ankle shattering it. This happened in the 1st period and he refused to take off his skate because he knew that his ankle would swell and he would not be able to put the skate back on. He finished the game. Ive also seen hockey player play with broked arms and legs. It is amazing.

I would venture to say that hockey players in general are some of the toughest. Probably followed by (or equal to) rugby perhaps? Football (American) has some players that are really tough and then others that are just prima donnas. :rolleyes:

Rich said:
Yes it's true soccer's just too sophisticated for some cultures, I have tried watching what you call football but quite honestly it's more fun watching paint dry.

Actually, I think we've had this discussion on a different thread before. We definetly have differing opinions on soccer or football (English-style), but if I recall we both loathe NASCAR. If I'm recalling that correctly then agreeing on 1 out of 2 aint too bad then. ;)

NJudson said:
Actually, I think we've had this discussion on a different thread before. We definetly have differing opinions on soccer or football (English-style), but if I recall we both loathe NASCAR. If I'm recalling that correctly then agreeing on 1 out of 2 aint too bad then. ;)
Yes we're halfway there :cool:

The philosophy of fighting in hockey is simple. Each player has a stick and razor sharp skates on their feet. When push comes to shove, they want the players to duke it out rather than use their sticks or skates on each other. No one has ever been seriously hurt in a hockey fight. The reason, you're on skates so you can't get any real power behind your punches.
When I go to a hockey game, the best seats are about halfway up the stands. From there you can see the entire game, not just the small section the TV cameras focus on.

statsman said:
The philosophy of fighting in hockey is simple. Each player has a stick and razor sharp skates on their feet. When push comes to shove, they want the players to duke it out rather than use their sticks or skates on each other. No one has ever been seriously hurt in a hockey fight. The reason, you're on skates so you can't get any real power behind your punches.
When I go to a hockey game, the best seats are about halfway up the stands. From there you can see the entire game, not just the small section the TV cameras focus on.

Very true except the
The reason, you're on skates so you can't get any real power behind your punches.
line. I have seen many players get career ending injuries in fights. Usually when the tough guy on one team fights a small player from the other team. I have seen broken jaws and orbital bones.

You still have to love the hockey guys though. I seen a game the other night where one teams tough guy gave a completly legal hit (although it looked like the guy was trying to kill him) to the other teams start player. One of the star players buddy seen this and jumped the tough guy. The buddy of the star player got his A## beat but it was still cool that he defended his star player even though he isn't a tough guy. I think the tough guy got into like 3 fights that night.

Hooks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom