Newbie Access Project Help (1 Viewer)

Gus

Local time
Yesterday, 19:22
OK! so I have definately bitten off more than I can chew here, but I'm willing to put time in and hope to learn a great deal in the process. Hopefully some of you can get me pointed in the right direction.
My project is as follows: I would like to create a DB that lives on our network. All employees can write to the DB via a form on our intranet, but only specific persons may edit. Also I would like to have an automated email sent to specific persons with info from each submission. Security is an issues as customer information will be stored in the DB.

I have created a DB with Access and have created a Data Access Page which works great but I can't seem to create a "submit" button that works and I can't seem to prevent the last submission from showing up when the DAP is opened.

I'll cross the email bridge when I get there. Hope someone out there is Newbie Friendly.

Thanks in advance

Gus

Gus

Local time
Newbie Help

Please people!

I know its annoying but at least get me going in the right direction. I'm learning tons reading this forum but my specific problems have not been addressed as of yet. Please Help Me!:confused:

Oldsoftboss

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 09:22
You have started with a BIG project that requires many hours of programing once you understand Access.

You will have to create a Front End - Back End Database where the BE sits on the server and hold only data. Then each user will have their own FE that hold the forms etc (The pretty bits). Not that hard to do.
Create a small DB of.. say names and addresses and then split the DB. Once split copy the FE to a few pc's and relink the tables to the BE.
Creating security and permissions to allow some to enter info, some to edit info, some to only view info is the tedious and tricky part.
Good Luck
Dave

HockeyNut

Tureco Del Hockey
Local time
Today, 00:22
Like yourself Gus I've also got a simliar project for college, although it is a real business need at my workplace.

I've done a few FE/BE databases, learning vast amounts each time which will aid my next project. But never a Webpage to input (over the company intrasnet in my case), that's the part which is new for me now! ...Oh yeah, and the security side too, as last time I meade one I cheated and used the security rights on the folder of the server! :rolleyes:

Guess I'll keep an eye on this thread and any other of yours ;) lol :cool:

David

Gus

Local time
Thanks to Oldsoftboss and hockeynut for your responses. Been very busy with other projects but now I'm back. So the FE BE thing. Do the users have to run Access on their local machines or can they update data via a webpage, without running a FE?? Going to play around with the DB splitting but I thought I could do this without splitting?

Oldsoftboss

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 09:22
Having never used data access pages I'm unsure of the procedure. The BE FE requires Access on both PC's
Dave

Gus

Local time
I have played with DAP's and created one that worked great, but it always shows the last entries and I haven't been able to make a custom button that allows the user to submit the data to the DB. It seems as though you need to know VB or something?? Wonder if you are familiar with creating custom buttons using the actions of existing buttons?

Thanks so much Dave, every little snippit of info helps me, I'm startin from scratch so to speak

Gus

Autoeng

Why me?
Local time
Like you I just started working with DAP's (with the help of one of out MIS guys). We have been able to create the submit button that you need and to get the form to open empty. Unfortunately the MIS guy has been the genious behind the effort so I can't offer you at this point the help to do it yourself. I can tell you that you have to use Microsoft Script Editor when working on DAP's. This is accessed via the properties screen.

We are having a consultant come in March 14th with courseware and to help us with our specific project. On the 17th I'll post the courseware and be able to help you some more if you can hold off that long.

I am alos sending a copy of your post to our MIS guy to see if he can give you some pointers before then. Whether he answers is, of course, up to him. You know how those MIS people can be.

Autoeng

Gus

Local time
Alright I found the lovely magic wand and created a custom button using the wizard. Selected 'Save Record' action, but it does not function the same way that the 'Save Record' button on the toolbar. In other words the toolbar 'Save' works but my custom button with the same action does not. Any ideas?

gus

Gus

Local time
Thanks so much to Autoeng. I'll be checking all your posts for clues. At this point I have no time considerations so I'll just keep pluggin away. "enjoy the process" haha!

gus

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom