Solved Opening an Access database to a form, then get and error.

Okay this is getting weirder. I just opened it on the 5th PC and it is working perfectly, even when I close it and reopen it. The only difference from all the other PC's is it is the versions of Access.
Microsoft® Access® 2019 MSO (Version 2407 Build 16.0.17830.20056) 32-bit (Works)
Microsoft® Access® for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2407 Build 16.0.17830.20056) 32-bit (Doesn't Work)
Most of our PC here are using Office 365. I just happened to try one that isn't. Any ideas?

Okay this is getting weirder. I just opened it on the 5th PC and it is working perfectly, even when I close it and reopen it. The only difference from all the other PC's is it is the versions of Access.
Microsoft® Access® 2019 MSO (Version 2407 Build 16.0.17830.20056) 32-bit (Works)
Microsoft® Access® for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2407 Build 16.0.17830.20056) 32-bit (Doesn't Work)
Most of our PC here are using Office 365. I just happened to try one that isn't. Any ideas?
Well, that is a good find.
Any updates on the 365 computers re Office or even Windows?

Last edited:
Why are you using a timer event? Please post the code. You may be causing a loop that is eating up memory.

Here is a link that explains "free memory" in its most literal usage:

After searching a bit, I found reports of this "insufficient free memory" error occurring for Outlook 365 AND for Excel 365, though with different side effects.

Several articles suggested that the problem was a form of data corruption.

One set of suggestions of the causes was that the system disk itself was full or a secondary storage medium was full.

Another suggestion was that too many high priority tasks were running and a low priority task couldn't force an outswap to make room for itself. How you get to the latter case is beyond me unless you have a small-memory machine and try to do too much at once.

The final cause I saw was the swap space file, which I described in post #18 of this thread, near the bottom. The reason you need swap space is, whether you later use it or not, things that get tossed into memory for execution cannot start until they have allocated swap space, on the theory that they WILL swap. If the swap file is full, then you can't bring an instance of something into memory. I keep on coming back to something that limits memory usage and a program launch does affect virtual memory. But the difference MAY be that the backing store (i.e. the swap file) isn't consumed the same way for O365 as for a traditional copy. This is getting deeper into the weeds.

This is my first post, so please be kind.

You picked a great question for your first post, because this is a really sticky little problem. The difference between a "normal" version of Office and the "365" version SHOULD be nil (given the matching build numbers) but apparently it isn't. I believe they come from different folders. As I recall, "normal" Office is usually in ThisPC\C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office nn, but Office 365 can be in a totally different path and it might be hard to track down on a given system.

I doubt that Microsoft would be of any help. I'm ready to throw in the towel and rebuild my database that has been working since 2011.

Do you also have the problem when you open the form with Docmd.OpenForm (e.g. from another form or via the immeditate window)?

I doubt that Microsoft would be of any help. I'm ready to throw in the towel and rebuild my database that has been working since 2011.
This sounds like it is probably related to a problem reported with update version 2407, even though it is usually noted that both 2019 and M365 are impacted.
We've reported the problem to the Microsoft Access team and are awaiting verification. I've added an article on AccessForever.org outlining what we know. It'll be published as soon as it is approved for publication.

In the meantime, you can try rolling back the update to version 2406.

Do you also have the problem when you open the form with Docmd.OpenForm (e.g. from another form or via the immeditate window)?
Good point. I opened a different form (frmCAREnty) using the File\Options\Current Database\Display Form and it works without errors when I go to the frmMain from the frmCAREntry. Why would that be possible?

Good point. I opened a different form (frmCAREnty) using the File\Options\Current Database\Display Form and it works without errors when I go to the frmMain from the frmCAREntry. Why would that be possible?
The bug report we have is that the problem is associated with Filtering the form, using Filter by Form, but the full outline of the problem is still not clear.

So with that information, I was able to create a Switchboard form, add a button to go to frmMain. I put the Switchboard form in my File\Options\Current Database\Display Form to startup and that worked, not error messages. It adds another step to get to my frmMain, but it works without errors!!! It doesn't explain why it works in one version of Access and not the other (post #21).

I usually open a small pop-up form that I use to initialize the actual application start.
Example attached.

Attachments

I would like to thank all of you, who's posts trying to help me resolve this issue. The workaround by creating a switchboard form to use in the startup and then going to my frmMain form works. I still hope Microsoft can resolve this issue, but for now I'm happy with the workaround.

How this post gets marked as Solved or closed?

Thanks,
Jody

I would like to thank all of you, who's posts trying to help me resolve this issue. The workaround by creating a switchboard form to use in the startup and then going to my frmMain form works. I still hope Microsoft can resolve this issue, but for now I'm happy with the workaround.

How this post gets marked as Solved or closed?

Thanks,
Jody

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom