KenHigg

Local time
Today, 14:32
I knew the guy was a weasel - Link

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
Today, 19:32
He got a big enough laugh for the joke. Fair play.

Either way, the intended or unintended versions are both humourous at heart. And rather true.

I don't see what the big deal is. But the Republicans can't have much to say for themselves if they need to make a mountain out of this molehill.

KenHigg

Local time
How many of your friends or relatives have ever served in the military?

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
SJ McAbney said:
He got a big enough laugh for the joke. Fair play.

Either way, the intended or unintended versions are both humourous at heart. And rather true.

I don't see what the big deal is. But the Republicans can't have much to say for themselves if they need to make a mountain out of this molehill.

Exactly the Republican spin machine tried to make it about the military personnel, when it was actually addressed to their idiot boss.

KenHigg

Local time
jsanders said:
Exactly the Republican spin machine tried to make it about the military personnel, when it was actually addressed to their idiot boss.

Take away the spin, etc. Is it acceptable for a leader of the country to have this kind of opinion and make this kind of remark?

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
KenHigg said:
How many of your friends or relatives have ever served in the military?

Quite a few. My father, my uncle. My sister's fiance. Some other friends. Why? Their military involvement has nothing to do with John Kerry or Iraq.

It was a simple joke by Kerry saying that if people didn't study hard enough then they'll end up in the military. It's probably a rather true statement. While many soldiers may be of some intelligence, it would seem that many join up because they messed up school, whether through their own fault or being from a deprived area background. Indeed, while Fahrenheit 9/11 may have had a certain bias, there can be no denying that the US military does actively try to recruit the dead-enders for its (non-existant) cause.

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
KenHigg said:
Is it acceptable for a leader of the country to have this kind of opinion and make this kind of remark?

Let's not forget, the leader of your country (and the 'free world' :rolleyes: ) did not make the remark. John Kerry did.

KenHigg

Local time
SJ McAbney said:
Quite a few. My father, my uncle. My sister's fiance. Some other friends. Why? Their military involvement has nothing to do with John Kerry or Iraq.

Guess your father, uncle and sister's fiance should have studied harder. ;)

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
KenHigg said:

To go back to the original statement.

It was a stupid thing for him (Kerry)to say, only so far as the Dems should be very focused on winning and nothing else.

Last edited:

KenHigg

Local time
SJ McAbney said:
Let's not forget, the leader of your country (and the 'free world' :rolleyes: ) did not make the remark. John Kerry did.

Which, (on this issue at least), makes Bush the better man. IMHO ;)

KenHigg

Local time
jsanders said:
To go back to the original statement.

It was a stupid thing to say, only so far as the Dems should be very focused on winning and nothing else.

So if it wasn't election time it would be ok to say?

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
KenHigg said:
Which, (on this issue at least), makes Bush the better man. IMHO ;)

IMHO Are you sure you didnt' meen LMAO

KenHigg

Local time
jsanders said:
IMHO Are you sure you didnt' meen LMAO

I know, he doesn't have much going for him, still I think he's better than Kerry... Hard to comprehend those are two of the best we can come up with huh?

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
KenHigg said:
I know, he doesn't have much going for him, still I think he's better than Kerry... Hard to comprehend those are two of the best we come with huh?

When we were in the election of 2004 I used to say 300 million Americans and this is the best we can come up with.

KenHigg

Local time
jsanders said:
When we were in the election of 2004 I used to say 300 million Americans and this is the best we can come up with.

I honestly think we'd do better if we just got a president using a lotto...

Oh wait that wouldn't work, the guys with all the money would just buy more tickets...:rolleyes:

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Today, 13:32
The brother of a good friend of ours was recently killed in Iraq by a roadside bomb. He had a degree in Psychology, was a Tulsa Police Officer and a Marine reservist because that's what he wanted to do. If he had survived one more month he could have returned home to his wife when his unit finished their tour. True, some in the military are from the bottom of the barrel (just like anything else), but many more aren't. They are serving because that's what they choose to do for their reasons. I personally thought the "joke" was in very poor taste. If he wants to take a crack at Bush so be it, but leave the military out of it.

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Today, 13:32
jsanders said:

I saw somewhere that the Democratic candidate that you wanted to run for President had dropped out of the race. I can't remember his name now, Mark something? It seems like neither party can come up with a decent candidate. :rolleyes:

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
MrsGorilla said:
I saw somewhere that the Democratic candidate that you wanted to run for President had dropped out of the race. I can't remember his name now, Mark something? It seems like neither party can come up with a decent candidate. :rolleyes:

Mark Warner, former governor of Virginia.

Bodisathva

Registered User.
Local time
KenHigg said:
I actually read the entire joke that Kerry was supposed to use and while quite scathing, actually did exactly what it was intended to do, not what the Republican spin machine has created here.

If you still feel the need to dig, though, the whole "too dumb to stick with the teleprompter" argument is quite valid IMHO ;)

KenHigg

Local time
You kind of lost me here - When you say he was 'supposed' to say something, makes me think he in fact did not say what he was supposed to. In which case how could what he was 'supposed' to say do anything?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom