Problem adding new records (1 Viewer)

YNWA

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:18
Hi,

I have a Northwind template on a shared drive. 2 people can access it at the same time and when I tested it, both could access the same record and edit that record on 2 different PC's.

But now my client saying records are only being added on 1 PC and not the other when they're entering it.

The options records locks are set to no locks.

Just dont know what this problem is?

Any ideas?

Thanks

YNWA

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:18
Also would this problem be sorted if I split the database?

I am using Access 2010.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:18
I would recommend you split the database. Tables in BE. Everything else in FE, and a copy of the FE on each user's PC.
Good luck.

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 04:18
You simply must split the database! Having multiple users sharing a single, non-split database, sitting on a network drive is the sure way to repeated episodes of corruption, speed and timing problems, and all manner of strange, odd and curious behavior, including the problem you're having, now! Multiple users simply have to work off of a split database, with each user having their own copy of the Front End, which contains everything except the data/tables, on their respective hard drives, and a Back End with only the Tables on a shared drive.

Being in forced retirement, I spend 8-10 hours a day here and on other Access forums/newsgroups, and over the past seven years have seen dozens and dozens of reports of non-split apps causing these kinds of problems as well as massive data loss! The really insidious thing is that a non-split app can work for extended periods of time before the troubles begin! But once it does, they become chronic, which is to say they occur over and over and over again!

The record, by the way, was a Non-Split db that had been working, without problems, for 12 years! It then started exhibiting all of the symptoms listed above and continued to do so until the app was split.

If your Database isn't really important, which is to say if data-loss isn't important, and the app being down won't cost you production time loss, then by all means leave it non-split.

Splitting an Access database isn't as scary as it sounds; Access will do most of the heavy-lifting for you! Here’s a tutorial on Splitting a Database:

http://www.hitechcoach.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=35:split-your-access-database-into-application-anddata&catid=24:design

Linq ;0)>

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom