Recovery from Motherboard Failure (1 Viewer)

Keith

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:50
I have had a motherboard failure in a desktop PC. It was running XP and was an OEM machine (DELL). I have installed the HD in another machine and as predicted got the BSD but it will boot in safe mode. I have recovered all the user data. Is there any way that I could recover the installed programes as well? I have another machine with XP so I don't need Windows just the installed programs.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 09:50
You may have two issues. The first one being the HD drive that you installed in "another machine". Is that hard drive being used as the bootable "C" drive or is it a data drive, as in drive "D"?

C: drive scenario - Will it fully boot into Windows? I assume not, since you mention "safe mode". If that is the case, you will need to try to figure out what is wrong and search the web for how to do a system restore. Should you do a system re-install, I anticipate that you still may have to re-install all programs.

D: drive scenario - In that situation, you will need to remove all system files from the hard drive and re-install your programs from the original CDs.

Please note, that I have not moved a "C" drive to another computer as a bootable "C" drive. In fact, on my computer, an updated BIOS caused Windows 7 to crash. So changing motherboards, will result in a different BIOS.

You may want to look at this website: The Elder Geek

Below is one link that may be helpful. Personally, I think that the recovery counsel is a waste of time. But it is a start that can lead to other webpages.
How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

Below is a u-tube video. I do NOT know if it is any good. At least it is a start to further research.
Windows Repair: How to repair your Windows XP PC with your Boot-Disc

Keith

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:50
Thanks very much Steve. I was resigned to the fact that I would have to reinstall all the software but I thought a last chance post might mind someone with a solution. Busy now trying to find all the discs. :)

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 09:50
Busy now trying to find all the discs. :)
Good Luck! One thing that I do is store program patches/updates on a CD just in case they can't be found on-line anymore.

IAmNotABot

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:50
You may have another recourse, if you dont mind spending a bit for some equipment.

You can remove that hard drive and put it in an external USB box. This are quite common, and can be found for under $30 in most cases. I remember picking up 6-7 different ones when I went to Frys last time and I want to say it was all under $100. Your mileage may vary, based on where you live.

When you get one of these, put your (old) hard drive in the box, plug it into a working computer and you should have access to everything. Of course you will have to find the install files from your programs.
As a bonus, you only have to buy the box once, and can re-use it for any number of hard drives by swapping them out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom