Remove White Space in Report (1 Viewer)

David Mack

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:00
I have a report based on a query. 14 of the fields are text (Memo). Each of the text fields are actually comment fields associated with a subcategory of questions. In other words, if the person recording the data from question 12 to 20 needs to make any comments on that group of questions, this comment block would be the place.

If there are no comments, I do not want them to show up in print preview or printed paper.

Since comments can be long or short, I have set the appropriate properies on the report's controls to can grow and can shrink.

To complicate matters. I have some seed text which is automaticaly inserted into each comment i.e. "Procecural Comments: "

When the user gets in the comment block, I use a selstart statement to place the cursor in the proper location. Thus the seed comment is preserved.

I have tried using a function called by my report query which looks for the first colon ":" in each text field and evaluates the length of any user added comments. If there is no length, I return "" to the control affected. Or, the entire comment and seed info appears.

Well, only the comments with content are showing up on the report, but the white space on the commentless (is that a word?) controls remains.

The can grow works fine. But, the can shrink doesn't work. Just trying to save paper...

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Dave

SimonC

Registered User.
Local time
Have you set the CanShrink property on the detail section (or whichever report section the controls are in) as well as on the individual controls?

Simon.

David Mack

Registered User.
Local time
I had it set to the default "no." Made the change. Works like a champ!!!

Thank you very much!

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom