The Stoat said:
Have you ever seen Rich and Gordon Brown in the same room ;) :D
You're never ....... likely to, either:mad:

R

Rich

Brianwarnock said:
I'm puzzled by this thread, Rich hasn't blamed GWB yet:D

Brian
give it time, give it time, anyway we're talking about his deputy at the moment:rolleyes:

Len Boorman

Back in gainfull employme
Local time
Today, 10:11
Brianwarnock said:

Brian

see what you've done now. We were heading for an all time record of posts in a thread without mention of "Him".

There I was trying to repair links with the colonies and your probably going to blow that now.

L

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Len Boorman said:
see what you've done now. We were heading for an all time record of posts in a thread without mention of "Him".

There I was trying to repair links with the colonies and your probably going to blow that now.

L

Sorry:(

I was a bit worried about Ken's blood pressure, it might have dropped back to normal levels and he wouldn't be used to that.:)

Brian

Len Boorman

Back in gainfull employme
Local time
Understand your concern regarding our Colonial Cousin's blood pressure getting too low.

Very thoughtful of you

So maybe do you think that GWB is actually responsible for manipulating his glove puppet in No 10 and that GWB plans to use the higher gas(petrol to us) prices over the pond to fund his mates pension solution.

:D :D :D :D

L

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Len Boorman said:
So maybe do you think that GWB is actually responsible for manipulating his glove puppet in No 10 and that GWB plans to use the higher gas(petrol to us) prices over the pond to fund his mates pension solution.

:D :D :D :D

L

Of course, GWB will do anything for his glove puppey.. er mate
oops there goes that flying pig again;)
Brian

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
To put the thread back on track, a bit, and help my post count:) what I find puzzling is that the gov wants us to work past 65 but insurance companies think we are not healthy enough to insure for holidays after said age.
Can't help feeling an anomoly exists here:(

Brian

The Stoat

The Grim Squeaker
Local time
Brianwarnock said:
To put the thread back on track, a bit, and help my post count:) what I find puzzling is that the gov wants us to work past 65 but insurance companies think we are not healthy enough to insure for holidays after said age.
Can't help feeling an anomoly exists here:(

Brian

If the pensionable age is raised to meet problems of the next 10-15 years there is going to be a period of compression where the job market is going to be squeezed top and bottom as less people leave work but the population still hasn't fallen sufficiently low to compensate for people starting in the job market. It needs to phased in but it won't be.

The other possible outcome is that employers will just say we don't want OAP's working for us so b*gger off. They'll just make people redundent increasing the welfare burden.

The final problem as i see it is elderly people are hanging onto their family sized homes as a security for potential nursing home costs. This causes them to struggle with large council tax bills and bottlenecks the housing market. The housing market i think can be fairly and squarely blamed for putting off a lot of young couples from starting families and reducing the number of children they have - which leads to the ageing population. Most people of my age - 30 - were bought up in a single salary family with 2-3 kids and a mortgage. These day it takes 2 good salaries to be able to buy a home and then you have the problem of finding child care because you both have to work to keep a roof over your head. That situation is only going to get worse if people start to invest in property to see them into retirement which the government is encouraging with tax breaks on second properties as investments.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
The final problem as i see it is elderly people are hanging onto their family sized homes as a security for potential nursing home costs. This causes them to struggle with large council tax bills and bottlenecks the housing market

When one moves house one loses financially with money flowing out to Estate agents, lawyers and Gov(stamp duty) therefore it can seem better to remain in the family home amongst treasured possessions and in an area one knows and is known.

Brian

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Brianwarnock said:

Brian
I hate it when people hijack threads:D :rolleyes: personally, I try to keep threads on the right track

Col

The Stoat

The Grim Squeaker
Local time
Brianwarnock said:

When one moves house one loses financially with money flowing out to Estate agents, lawyers and Gov(stamp duty) therefore it can seem better to remain in the family home amongst treasured possessions and in an area one knows and is known.

Brian

I'm not saying people shouldn't have the right to stay in their home but there is a balance that needs to be struck. Government policy has lead to a situation where there is an incentive for people to hold on to property that in times past they may have sold on. The changes proposed to pension law will allow people to invest in property as a means to saving for retirement and be rewarded for it. This assumes that property values remain stable or increase and that their is enough housing stock for this to occur. Plainly the first cannot be guaranteed and the second is certainly not the case either.

R

Rich

Brianwarnock said:

Brian
Well since YOU mentioned it, I've suggested on many occasions that Bush should be pensioned off but it just brings a tirade of insults towards me such that one has to conclude all the posters over there are Bush supporters or they're afraid of being branded unpatriotic and thus made to spend an uncomfortable 10minutes sat in a special chair

R

Rich

The Stoat said:
The final problem as i see it is elderly people are hanging onto their family sized homes as a security for potential nursing home costs.
Only in England, all care for the elderly is free in Scotland, but then of course we don't have our own parliament, do we?:mad:
We have a Scottish chancelor though, oddly enough, I wonder if when he becomes leader England will become independant:rolleyes:

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Today, 05:11
Ya’ll sound like a bunch of Americans. You all could learn a thing or two from us.

We’re way ahead on this one. People my age (45) have known for years that we will not have an Social Security (Tax supported retirement in the US) in our lives.

We will be working until we’re dead.

No big deal what else would we be doing?

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Today, 05:11
Rich said:
Perhaps if they made all the scrounging bas.... here get a job there would be enough money left to pay those who've contributed all their lives:mad:

Did you get body snatched?
What happen to: "we need to give all those Louisiana people a guaranteed living"?

R

Rich

jsanders said:
What happen to: "we need to give all those Louisiana people a guaranteed living"?

Not guaranteed Josey, just a little help and in any case there have to be enough reasonable paid jobs for them in the first place

R

Rich

jsanders said:
Ya’ll sound like a bunch of Americans. You all could learn a thing or two from us.

No thanks, we prefer a socially just society

R

Rich

jsanders said:
Like the one you’ve been describing?
There will always be those who abuse society Joe and I always say it starts at the top, now when's Bush going to be put on trial for moral corruption to start with? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom