Running .mdb 2003 file in Access 2010 (1 Viewer)

AlexTeslin

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:13
Hi,

We are experiencing the problem with running Access 2003 .mdb file on Access 2010 on XP, it works fine in Access 2003 and even in 2007. The application works, but few subforms displaying blank with white background.

Has anyone experienced this problem before ?

Last edited by a moderator:

pr2-eugin

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 15:13
Re: Runnding .mdb 2003 file in Access 2010

Hello Alex, I have not experienced this, although it looks like the link between the Master and Child form is lost somehow.. Try linking them and see if they work..

AlexTeslin

Registered User.
Local time

Thanks for your reply Paul. I don't know exactly what you meant by linking the master and child. Is this selecting master/child fields on both forms? If yes, then that shouldn't be the case because the file is used by other users as well. Also I tried another copy, which didn't work on either.

I was thinking that it could be because of the Macro Security settings, but I made few changes to Trust Center as well.

We had a similar problem (some subforms displaying in white background) before, but in Access 2003. This was resolved by changing Sandbox mode from 3 to 2 in Regedits. But I think that was different problem.

To be honest I am surprised because we have few users with the above same problem and it appears that is not known issue.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:13

I know this is heresy but perhaps it is time to upgrade the OS. It probably means a hardware upgrade also but at some point it becomes impossible to be backward compatible and XP is more than 10 years old.

Is the database an .mdb for a reason? Try converting it to an .accdb to see if that solves the problem. OR, try installing A2003 or A2007 on the XP computers.

AlexTeslin

Registered User.
Local time

Yes, the database is .mdb file. Unfortunately we currently can't upgrade to .accdb version as most users still use Access 2003 on their XP machines.

As to upgrading to potentially new machines and OSs - I personally like the idea very much, but unfortunately this is not going to happen until early next year.

I thought this was a common issue with this situation (using original Access 2003 .mdb file in Access 2010 on XP). I was hoping that at least few people would have tried that.

Based on your replies I guess the only solution I am left with is to install Access 2003/7 until the 'big' upgrade.

Thanks for your reply Pat.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:13
Since you can't actually convert the app until all computers are upgraded, I would not install newer versions of Access on XP. By the time you are ready to do this upgrade, you should install Office 2013 rather than Office 2010 anyway. O2010 is already three years old so why spend the money to buy old technology?

AlexTeslin

Registered User.
Local time
I finally found the solution, which involves changing the Sandbox value from 3 to 2 but in a different registry location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Access Connectivity Engine\Engines

That's it.

Thanks for your replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom