Russia Claims the North Pole (1 Viewer)

voidcranium

Registered Something.
Local time
Today, 07:59
http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1642905,00.html?xid=feed-yahoo-full-world

" The ice-frozen North Pole is currently a no man's land supervised by a U.N. Commission. The five Polar countries — Russia, the U.S., Canada, Norway and Denmark — each control only a 200-mile economic zone along their coasts. And none of these economic zones reach the North Pole. Under the current U.N. Maritime convention, one country's zone can be extended only if it can prove that the continental shelf into which it wishes to expand is a natural extension of its own territory, by showing that it shares a similar geological structure.

So, the Russians claimed a great scientific discovery late last month. An expedition of 50 scientists that spent 45 days aboard the Rossia nuclear ice-breaker found that an underwater ridge (the Lomonosov ridge) directly links Russia's Arctic coast to the North Pole. This, they insist, surely guarantees Russia's rights over a vast Polar territory that also happens to contain some 10 billion tons of oil and natural gas deposits.

Meanwhile, on the morning of January 7 this year, the rotor blades of a Russian Mi-8 helicopter shattered the divine silence at the opposite end of the Earth, disgorging a group of top Russian dignitaries led by none other than FSB (the former KGB) Director Nikolai Patrushev, to proudly raised the Russian flag over the South Pole. At the time, it might have looked like a stunt. But back in 2004, Patrushev landed at the North Pole in much the same fashion. Stay tuned."

statsman

Local time
Today, 08:59
I'm finding it hard to accept Fifty2One as king of the universe, but I think your claim is as valid as the Russian one.

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
Today, 13:59
So... I have claimed ownership to the entire Universe AND have planted my "Property of Fifty2One" sign in the exact center of the universe which happens to be in my home because the universe revolves around my better half... :p

Are we related?

Sounds like my better half too :p

Although she can be compared to a planet.....the size of :p :p

voidcranium

Registered Something.
Local time
Today, 07:59
It gets better!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19952934/

"The expedition plans to send a mini-submarine crew to plant a flag on the seabed and symbolically claim the Arctic for the Kremlin."

After reaching the sea floor under the North Pole, Russia's mini-subs will leave a titanium capsule containing the Russian flag, Anatoly Sagalevich, the subs' designer, told Russia's NTV. The subs will also collect specimens of Arctic flora and fauna and videotape the dives, which will be broadcast live via a satellite, he said.

R

Rich

Stupid isn't it? just like the Yanks claim to the North West Passage:rolleyes:

R

Rich

Yes I should have re-phrased it as such just like the Yanks claim to use the North West Passage whenever it feels like it:rolleyes:

qailoh

not feeling witty atm
Local time
Today, 05:59
The windmills are distorting your pronouns there, Mr. Quixote :D

Well, Rich's difficulties in using proper English have been rather well documented...:D

Not to mention his habit of making inaccurate anti US statements...:mad:

qailoh

not feeling witty atm
Local time
If you bothered to read the free press in the World you might learn something:rolleyes:

My need to learn is not does not seem as great as yours. You demonstratably need someone like me to check your sources to correct you in the fact that it was Canada claiming sovereign rights to the Northwest Passage, not the US. Note I did read (and comprehend) an article regarding the issue, which you obviously did not. Also, as long as we're on the topic of learning, grammatical structures in English are completed with puncutation marks, not emoticons. Do bother to try to learn something yourself, would you?

R

Rich

Also, as long as we're on the topic of learning, grammatical structures in English are completed with puncutation marks, not emoticons. Do bother to try to learn something yourself, would you?

Do try and learn how to spell before lecturing others on the need for education:rolleyes:

qailoh

not feeling witty atm
Local time
Do try and learn how to spell before lecturing others on the need for education:rolleyes:

A typo, my bad. Some of us don't rely on spellcheck to catch our mistakes. :D If you really want to get in a competition as to the proper use of English, any time, anywhere. Or are you still believing I discovered the first 4 moons of the planet Jupiter?

06-21-2007, 12:07 PM
Rich
User Join Date: Feb 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galilao
"pigeon English?!?!?!?"

It's spelled Galileo, by the way. Even using spellcheck you still got it wrong...

R

Rich

If you really want to get in a competition as to the proper use of English, any time, anywhere. 06-21-2007, 12:07 PM

You are at somewhat of a disadvantage, not actually speaking English to start with.....
Why have you posted my profile, it's over 5yrs out of date:confused:

oops, silly me, I've used an emoticon, you'd best change it for a question mark:eek:

qailoh

not feeling witty atm
Local time
You are at somewhat of a disadvantage, not actually speaking English to start with.....
Why have you posted my profile, it's over 5yrs out of date:confused:

oops, silly me, I've used an emoticon, you'd best change it for a question mark:eek:

Er, where did I post your profile? Some of us actually use our real date of birth and location. How do you feel about Col's statement that anyone who does not is a coward? Not really suprised that you're confused, any situation that requires you to actually think seems beyond you.

R

Rich

Er, where did I post your profile?

Rich
It's spelled Galileo, by the way. Even using spellcheck you still got it wrong...

How odd, you don't even know how to spell your own name, mine's Rich by the way because that's the name my parents gave me. Where I live is correct, it's just that you being a Yank wouldn't have a clue where it is.:rolleyes:
Try looking for some stronger straws, looks like all that thinking has fried your cells......

qailoh

not feeling witty atm
Local time
How odd, you don't even know how to spell your own name...

Yesterday, 12:24 AM
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by qailop
Er, where did I post your profile?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galilao

*cough*

Since you are still accusing me of posting your profile, here you go:

Rich
User

Last Activity: Today 12:32 AM

Add Rich to Your Buddy List
Add Rich to Your Ignore List

Signature
This has been a carbon neutral post

Forum Info Contact Info
Find all posts by Rich

Find all threads started by Rich

Referrals: 0 Private Message:
Send a private message to Rich

Additional Information Group Memberships
Date of Birth:
August 3, 1985

Rich is not a member of any public groups

Eden Show phonetics
noun (ALSO the Garden of Eden)
in the Bible, the garden where the first human beings, Adam and Eve, lived in perfect happiness before they disobeyed God and were ordered by Him to leave

(from Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary)
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=24773&dict=CALD

Still going to claim that it's 100% truthful?

I'll give you a clue. Rich lives in Plymouth.

Col

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 13:59
I don't understande what this is all about, sure Rich lies about his age, but if it is the Eden thing you are puzzled about try this link.

Brian