Scanned Images Database (1 Viewer)

mcdhappy80

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:56
The database should be able to store images on scanning and then retrieve them and print if necessary.
Is there some special technology in designing these kind of databases?
Are there some special scanner devices to use for this purpose?
Is there maybe a special software?
Where should one start digging if he would want to build such a thing?
Thank You

HiTechCoach

Local time
Today, 15:56
I would also recommend using Microsoft's SQL Server for the back end.

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:56
Dbpix is a fine product but you can master images yourself, particularly as Access 2007 can handle images on continuous forms.

Create a hidden control eg: ImageFile = ImagePath and ThumbnailFile

I have the Image Directory on the Menu Forms and the Actual file contained in the underlying Query therefore the ImageFile Control Source =[Forms]![Menu]![ImageDirectory] & [Thumbnail File].

Then by using the Image control, the control source =[ImageFile]

Alternatively the long hand method using Functions:

Step One: Image Path
Code:
Function GetPictureDir() As String
    GetPictureDir = Forms![Menu]![ImageDirectory]
End Function
Step Two: ImageFile
Code:
Function GetPicturePath()
    With CodeContextObject
        GetPicturePath = GetPictureDir & .[ImageFile]
    End With
End Function
Step Three: Check that there is an Image
Code:
Function GetPictureExist()
        If Dir(GetPicturePath) <> Empty Then
            GetPictureExist = -1
        Else
            GetPictureExist = 0
        End If
End Function
Step Four: Render the Picture
Code:
Function GetPicture()
    With CodeContextObject
        If GetPictureExist = True Then
            .[ImageControl].Visible = True
            .[ImageControl].Picture = GetPicturePath
        Else
            .[ImageControl].Visible = False
        End If
    End With
End Function

The GetPicture goes on a Forms OnCurrent Event and a Reports On Print Event.

I also need to manage the image:

Flag the record if an image exists
Image Height Width and Size

Simon

HiTechCoach

Local time
Today, 15:56
Simon,

Part of the OP's requirements include acquiring the image form the scanner with Access.

How do you go about acquiring the image from the scanner with Access if you use just the built in image control?

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
There are two very distinct functions image acquisition and handling these images in a database. I realise that with images of art, the process is more complicated, prints receive a final coating, similar to a lacquer and if the images were taken before the final coat the images have to be enhanced. The position of lighting can also wash out the image if it is too close and reverse happens if the lighting is too subtle. The color translation may not be true and this may need to be adjusted.

What is really important is to get these images to a sensible size, with 16,000+ images, a 2MB image is not handled very well so all the images need to be low resolution and considering you can receive or generate images over 200MB, these images need to be modified or rendered down. Many scanners include more than just the image or when using a scanner an image can be slightly skewed and need minor rotation or remedial cropping.

Yes, it would be nice to have a fully automated system and I'm a great fan of dbpix and I have used this product since 1999.

Simon

mcdhappy80

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:56
There are two very distinct functions image acquisition and handling these images in a database. I realise that with images of art, the process is more complicated, prints receive a final coating, similar to a lacquer and if the images were taken before the final coat the images have to be enhanced. The position of lighting can also wash out the image if it is too close and reverse happens if the lighting is too subtle. The color translation may not be true and this may need to be adjusted.
I will have the need for scanning handwritten shipment documents, no high quality art. What is the best suited resolution for these kind of documents, A4 format (21 cm x 29 cm). I would like images to be in color.
What is really important is to get these images to a sensible size, with 16,000+ images, a 2MB image is not handled very well so all the images need to be low resolution and considering you can receive or generate images over 200MB, these images need to be modified or rendered down. Many scanners include more than just the image or when using a scanner an image can be slightly skewed and need minor rotation or remedial cropping.

Yes, it would be nice to have a fully automated system and I'm a great fan of dbpix and I have used this product since 1999.

Simon
I don't want to store images directly in database, but rather images paths, and then load them programmatically.

I've looked at the dPix solution You mention and I can see it is cool, but I'm afraid I cannot afford it so I'm forced to build my own.
They way I see it I would only have the need to scan one document at the time, stored it in a safe place on server and then record the image path, along with the name the user would provide, in database. Later, the images would be called and printed on demand.

Does the EZTW32.dll library have everything I need to accomplish this task in, let's say, Access 2007 IDE?

Thank You

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
I don't want to store images directly in database, but rather images paths, and then load them programmatically.

If you reference your images with a Unique ID then you correlate the Image to the Record.

Exhibition:

10TS will be found in GetPictureDir + Exhibitions/10ts.jpg

Original

100020 will be found in GetPictureDir + Originals/100020.jpg

Prints

10020 will be found in GetPictureDir + Prints/10020.jpg

If I have a new Original say 100021 I would scan the image and save it as 100021.jpg then when I enter the 100021 the image will automatically appear.

Simon

Max D

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:56
By the way, AcessImagine control scans direct to database and is able to maintain external image storage automatically.

In fact, the is no need to write a single line of code to solve this task. And you don't need to purchase it, it works good in shareware mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom