Shootings in US schools

jsanders said:
That’s right Ken, because those highly moralistic Republicans that preceded him were so honest, Beaver Cleaver, and Apple Pie.

:D :D

How about a show of hands from everyone that knows who the 'Beav' is... :p :p

jsanders said:
Which is funny; because TV shows, of all things, I would not rate at the top of our export list.
Thats because you lived with it all the time. If you saw what stuff we had on our TV and what stuff we got from you, your shows were really great. Except The Lucy Show, which didn't go down too well because she was a prat.:)

Col

How do you do?

jsanders said:
A simple "howdy" would suffice.

Which by the way is short for "how are you", and is being replaced by comostas.

"comostas" - what does that mean? Is it a corruption of the Spanish for how are you?

nikkypickles said:
"comostas" - what does that mean? Is it a corruption of the Spanish for how are you?
I think Jenny is trying to say "como estas" which is a shortened version of "como esta usted" - however in a friendly (less formal) setting you would use "que tal"

Ken, did I mention I'm off to Spain next wednesday?

Col

ColinEssex said:
Thats because you lived with it all the time. If you saw what stuff we had on our TV and what stuff we got from you, your shows were really great. Except The Lucy Show, which didn't go down too well because she was a prat.:)

Col

Sorry Col,

I was trying to make a bad joke.

Actually I think that our movies are some of our most prized exports.
Which is funny; because some of the best ones are collaborations between several of the English speaking countries.

I thought it sounded a bit Spanish - both my mum and dad went to night school to learn, and I'd nosy through their homework whenever I went to visit.
I'm better at hearing a language than reading it :(

ColinEssex said:
I think Jenny is trying to say "como estas" which is a shortened version of "como esta usted" - however in a friendly (less formal) setting you would use "que tal"

Col

MY spelling sucks. Although I believe American (the continents) Spanish is probably less formal than European in general.

Last edited:
ColinEssex said:

Col

Taking the new scoot... er, I mean motor-bike out on it's first long range ride?

jsanders said:
Sorry Col,

I was trying to make a bad joke.

Actually I think that our movies are some of our most prized exports.
Which is funny; because some of the best ones are collaborations between several of the English speaking countries.
no probs me old mate, notice I decided not to fall into your F15 etc trap:D .

The USA made some first class shows in the 60's and into the 70's. You'll never know what an effect Jeannie had on me (in "I Dream of Jeannie") what was her real name now?. . . . . . .Barbara something I think.

Col

KenHigg said:
Taking the new scoot... er, I mean motor-bike out on it's first long range ride?

No - flying by Easyjet. £12 outbound and £10 return. Can't be bad. 2 hours later sat in a bar in Bilbao.:D

Biking it next May for a couple of weeks.

Col

KenHigg said:
How about a show of hands from everyone that knows who the 'Beav' is... :p :p
*Raises hand* He's the kid on that show my former-nun of a mother thought was too cutesy and idealized for her tastes. ;)

Kraj said:
*Raises hand* He's the kid on that show my former-nun of a mother thought was too cutesy and idealized for her tastes. ;)

It was a show for kids.

ColinEssex said:
No - flying by Easyjet. £12 outbound and £10 return. Can't be bad. 2 hours later sat in a bar in Bilbao.:D

Biking it next May for a couple of weeks.

Col

You're saying 22 somethings (pounds ?) for a round trip to somewhere - :eek:

How much is that in US dollars and how many miles is it?

KenHigg said:
You're saying 22 somethings (pounds ?) for a round trip to somewhere - :eek:

How much is that in US dollars and how many miles is it?
Christ Ken, have you no idea about anything outside the USA?:rolleyes: :D :p

Its about $15 and to North Spain (Bilbao) from London and is about 900 miles (ish) - its takes about 1 hour 30 mins or so to get there.

Col

edit - London is in the UK

ColinEssex said:

Its about $15 and to North Spain (Bilbao) from London and is about 900 miles (ish) - its takes about 1 hour 30 mins or so to get there.

Col

That is an amazingly low price. It would cost more than that to park at an airport here.

ColinEssex said:

Col

I think I've still missed something here. $15 dollars for a round trip ticket for an 1800 mile (roundtrip) destination. If this is true, you must tell me that you're getting some kind of special deal. - :confused: :confused:

jsanders said:
That is an amazingly low price. It would cost more than that to park at an airport here.

Its cheap if you book early on line, the nearer you get to the date you want to go, the price rises significantly. Also, the more on-line quotes for a given date the airline gets, the price goes up because of the "interest" shown in a date.

Col

I've just checked the prices for next wednesday (when we go) on Easyjet.com

The outbound flight is now at £34 ($26 ish) and the inbound is at £36 ($28 ish)

I booked about 6 weeks ago.

Col

No-frills

Do the US have "no-frills" airlines?
They're immensly popular, in Europe - speshly the UK.

I think (no research, just my memory) that Ryanair started it, then Easyjet, and now there are about 20 of them. All shorthaul - which is why it's big news (on this side of the pond) about Ryanair trying to buy Aerlingus, so they can start doing long haul.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5412002.stm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom