Shootings in US schools

nikkypickles said:
Do the US have "no-frills" airlines?
They're immensly popular, in Europe - speshly the UK.

I think (no research, just my memory) that Ryanair started it, then Easyjet, and now there are about 20 of them. All shorthaul - which is why it's big news (on this side of the pond) about Ryanair trying to buy Aerlingus, so they can start doing long haul.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5412002.stm

We've had them for about 25 years, the first one was Southwest Airlines (I believe).

ColinEssex said:
I've just checked the prices for next wednesday (when we go) on Easyjet.com

The outbound flight is now at £34 ($26 ish) and the inbound is at £36 ($28 ish)

I booked about 6 weeks ago.

Col

How do you have $10/gallon gas and $25 plane tickets :confused: :confused: :mad:

Edit: The cheapest like flt, ATL - TPA booked a month out is $175 :mad:

Last edited:
jsanders said:
We've had them for about 25 years, the first one was Southwest Airlines (I believe).

So, how expensive are your no-frills?

It's been a very long time since I've had a holiday or travelled abroad, but I've always gone no-frills and don't remember paying much past £50 (can't do the conversion in my head - about $36?!?!?!?) for the entire journey, there and back.

KenHigg said:
How do you have $10/gallon gas and $25 plane tickets :confused: :confused: :mad:

Taxes.

There's (apparently) a legal loophole which allows the government to tax us twice for petrol.

ColinEssex said:
The outbound flight is now at £34 ($26 ish) and the inbound is at £36 ($28 ish)

Wow, the Pound has really plunged vs the dollar since I visited London a couple of weeks ago. Then it was $1.88 to the Pound, so £34 would be about $64. ;)

nikkypickles said:
Taxes.

There's (apparently) a legal loophole which allows the government to tax us twice for petrol.
I see the taxation mentality hasn't changed much in 230 years:cool:

sorry...I tried to stop it...honest:o

pbaldy said:
Wow, the Pound has really plunged vs the dollar since I visited London a couple of weeks ago. Then it was $1.88 to the Pound, so £34 would be about $64. ;)

I think you're correct; they are dividing when they should be multiplying. Now if I were an obstinate American I might make a comment about "maths" in a British school.

But then you'd be no better than this comment, which of course is laughable given the complete goof on relative currency values:

ColinEssex said:
Christ Ken, have you no idea about anything outside the USA?

jsanders said:
That is an amazingly low price. It would cost more than that to park at an airport here.
Serves you right for living in America

nikkypickles said:
Quite honestly I'm embarrassed by Rich and Col's comments and infuriated by JSanders' comments.

Rich and Col are wrong to lump every American together and assume they are all psychotic, gun-toting, every man for himself and screw the world types.
Mmmm, then you ask them like I have umpteen times, why does their constitution not protect the civil liberties of their children. It's obvious to most that in America they're not entitled to any:rolleyes:
Oh and Jenny can't help herself, she's American too

Rich said:
Mmmm, then you ask them like I have umpteen times, why does their constitution not protect the civil liberties of their children. It's obvious to most that in America they're not entitled to any:rolleyes:
Oh and Jenny can't help herself, she's American too

The Constitution protects all citizens of the US (as you well know) but no document on earth can protect anyone from a madman on a mission.

Only well trained weapons can do that.

jsanders said:
I think you're correct; they are dividing when they should be multiplying. Now if I were an obstinate American I might make a comment about "maths" in a British school.

like I know anything about the current exchange rate! Last time I went on holiday the dollar was up on the pound. Technically speaking, I'm not guilty of bad math, only of not keeping quite up to date on the current exchange rates. :D

nikkypickles said:
like I know anything about the current exchange rate! Last time I went on holiday the dollar was up on the pound. Technically speaking, I'm not guilty of bad math, only of not keeping quite up to date on the current exchange rates. :D

Sorry just being my normal insulting self.

Rich said:
Mmmm, then you ask them like I have umpteen times, why does their constitution not protect the civil liberties of their children.
It clearly states "All MEN are created equal"
:eek: :rolleyes: :D

"This is the song that never ends.
Yes, it goes on and on my friends!
Some people starting singing it
not knowing what it was.
And now they keep on singing it forever just because
this is the song that never ends.
not knowing what it was.
this is the song that never ends.
not knowing what it was.
this is the song that never ends...."

i concede.

Back on topic - it does seem that there are an extraordinarily increasing number of gun crimes - both in the US and the UK. And I'm watching Mythbusters on Discovery, and they seem to do an awful lot of gun myths. So the plethora of gun related media does seem to be a valid, modern discussion topic.

Without turning it back into a slanging match, can someone point me in the direction of the non-hunting, non-crime related list of valid reasons for needing a gun?

nikkypickles said:
i concede.

Back on topic - it does seem that there are an extraordinarily increasing number of gun crimes - both in the US and the UK. And I'm watching Mythbusters on Discovery, and they seem to do an awful lot of gun myths. So the plethora of gun related media does seem to be a valid, modern discussion topic.

Without turning it back into a slanging match, can someone point me in the direction of the non-hunting, non-crime related list of valid reasons for needing a gun?

Skeet Shooting.

nikkypickles said:

You won't find any reason from the US they want to stay in the 18th century and remain uncivillised

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom