Shootings in US schools (3 Viewers)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 07:39
1. No
2. They're both bad.
3. 32 don't get killed every day in this manner in the town next door while they've been killing each other in the middle east for as long as I can remember - Just my best guess...

Then nothing will change in the USA as far as gun control goes. You will continue to get these massacres and you will continue to feign surprise when it happens. No-one that I've met is at all surprised by it. The response is "well, thats America for you"

I hope the 86 killed today by the gun get as much media coverage as the 32 are.

My opinion (which I know you hate and is worthless) is that Americans will say things like this is "shocking", "terrible" "we pray for them" - but will do nothing to aleviate the problem.

Good luck USA, and may your god go with you

Col

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Yesterday, 23:39
Hunting, collecting, protection...

Fear of imminent death of self or the safety of your family

EDIT: upon further consideration, I would like to point out that normal, law-abiding citizens are not the ones shooting people...

The protection one may have some merit, buy who are you protecting yourself from, doing what and when?

The hunting I have no real opinion on - for food OK I guess, but how many of the guns out there are used for hunting for food. Hunting for fun - I would say anyone shooting animals for fun is exactly who you don't want to have a gun.

Collecting - its not an argument really, and again I would question the mental stability of someone who collected guns. (Maybe historic ones - but to collect new killing devices seems a little odd to me)

I could be persuaded on the protection though, is there any evidence that it makes you safer, does crime come down as gun ownership goes up, or vice versa? I presume the gun crime over there is proportionally lower than here due to the prevelence of guns and their protective qualities? More protection from being a victim should mean less victims shouldn't it?

Last edited:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Maybe someday we will get to live in nation as perfect as you think you live in. ;)

That is not the issue and you know it. We are discussing American gun laws (or lack of them)

The UK is not perfect and I never said it was. We have many problems here.

Fortunately we do not have 86 killed by the gun in a YEAR, not just a day.

Now go back to playing action man and shooting innocent bambies. But when you look through the sights, try seeing an innocent student and question if it's right to have a gun.

Col

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
This hunting thing - a bit of stalking of your prey then a violent death or two - I think the unfortunate Korean born US bred fella was in trouble for both of these.:confused:

I feel sorry for him and his family too, its a shame noone could help him before it came to what it did. And his poor family have to live with it.:(

Bodisathva

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:39
The protection one may have some merit...?
Everyone has different circumstances. Some say home protection (and some neighborhoods, I'd agree with them). I used to own a business and make large cash deposits every night and carried a concealed automatic (with the permit). I have a brother in-law who used to be the Cooler in a local bar and carried not so much for his time at work, but for after hours.
The hunting ...
I agree with that. You don't need a .30 caliber automatic to hunt deer and the type of individual that enjoys the killing is not the type of person you want having a gun. I personally find the meat to be lower in fat than anything you get in the store, with no hormones or other chemicals to worry about. It ends up being a lot cheaper in the long run as well.
Collecting ...
People collect all kinds of weird stuff, guns are comparatively normal (compared to potato chips that look like Jesus, anyway:D ). You could make the case that if it's only for show it should be rendered mechanically unuseable, but collectors will tell you that decreases the value. I happen to have a couple of guns that belonged to my grandfather that are so old and neglected they are unuseable, but I keep them for sentimental value.
I could be persuaded on the protection though, is there any evidence that it makes you safer, does crime come down as gun ownership goes up, or vice versa? I presume the gun crime over there is proportionally lower than here due to the prevelence of guns and their protective qualities?
There were four young ne'er-do-wells that invaded the home of a "quiet-fellow" in the next county about 6 months ago. They were armed and the guy was in genuine fear for the safety of his family...I don't remember the exact sequence, but there was apparently an altercation prior to the gunfire. Anyway, he retrieved his pistol and shot all of them. I think one of the punks survived after a stint in the hospital, but the crime rate went down in that area. You could either assume that he killed the perpetrators or the remaining criminals began to think better of it.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
This hunting thing - a bit of stalking of your prey then a violent death or two -

The sight of the blood spurting out of a nearly dead animal must be a turn on I guess. Then leave it do die in agony. It's what US men are made of, they have to prove themselves I suppose.

Col

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
There were four young ne'er-do-wells that invaded the home of a "quiet-fellow" in the next county about 6 months ago. They were armed and the guy was in genuine fear for the safety of his family...I don't remember the exact sequence, but there was apparently an altercation prior to the gunfire. Anyway, he retrieved his pistol and shot all of them. I think one of the punks survived after a stint in the hospital, but the crime rate went down in that area. You could either assume that he killed the perpetrators or the remaining criminals began to think better of it.

We are almost in agreement - on collecting and hunting, and I'm for the protection if it works -

Your story - what were "They were armed" armed with?

Bodisathva

Registered User.
Local time
The sight of the blood spurting out of a nearly dead animal must be a turn on I guess. Then leave it do die in agony. It's what US men are made of, they have to prove themselves I suppose.
If you actually went with a real hunter, I believe you would find the experience to be nowhere near as brutal as you make it out to be. And nothing like that crap they put on TV for the rednecks to enjoy, either:rolleyes:

Bodisathva

Registered User.
Local time
Your story - what were "They were armed" armed with?
as with most perpetrators of such offenses, illegally obtained automatic pistols, serial numbers filed off, untraceable. These guys don't go to the local gun shop and browse the bargain bins, they buy them on the street for $25, use them for nefarious purposes and sell them to the next punk for $25 and the cycle continues.

KalelGmoon

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:39

Col
As opposed to having sport and running animals down on horses with dogs, and then after the dogs have had there fun tearing them apart being "humane" and putting them out of their misery.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
As opposed to having sport and running animals down on horses with dogs, and then after the dogs have had there fun tearing them apart being "humane" and putting them out of their misery.

Foxhunting has been banned and is monitored.

Col

KalelGmoon

Registered User.
Local time
You are all missing the big picture. if you ban gun , people who want them will still be able to get guns, they will just be going to the criminals and the thugs, the underground elements of society to get them. The majority of the time, crimes are committed with illegally obtained firearms. the perpetrators of these type of acts, VT Columbine etc. would have found a way to get a firearm one way or the other. I do think that there needs to be stricter purchase measures in place. a complete background check, even if they did "voluntarily" go to the institution.

but that is just my opinion

KalelGmoon

Registered User.
Local time
Foxhunting has been banned and is monitored.

Col

People hunting has also been banned and is monitored as well.

and you do have to go to classes and have a license to hunt as well. and there are also game wardens who patrol and look for poachers and those who are breaking the law.

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
So when I holiday in the US - should I carry a gun for protection?

Len Boorman

Back in gainfull employme
Local time
Just getting in on the back end of this with my opinion

Banning guns is basically pointless. That does nothing to tackle illegal ownership. It only descriminates aginst the legal owners

Sure have guns for a purpose.
Define purpose. Sport. Hunting, Targets its all sport of a sort.
Be licensed and nobody needs an AK47 for sport. So be sensible about what guns can be legally held

Annual assessment of individual and inspection of storage location becomes mandatory for licence to be continued.

All reports of inappropriate use or threat of use to be investigated. If found to be true then suspension of licence min 12 months or complete revoking as deemed appropriate

The rules basically is If in doubt licence revoked.

Crimes in which guns are used need to be treated very hard indeed. Use of a gun in crime doubles sentence for example

Remember that a Gun is not dangerous in itself.

Leave a gun alone and it will not harm anybody

Its only when it gets into the hands of a person that the danger potential exist

L

Edit add

You cannot legislate for everything and all the while there are guns people will get hurt. The murder of innocents is particularly sad but will happen all the while there are objects that can inflict fatal damage to people. We do not live in a perfect world and the human being is at best a mongrel with many character variations, not all good

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom