Shootings in US schools (1 Viewer)

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:56
O please, we were not in a position to do anything about it at the time, I'm sure I've explained all this to you before but we're not a gun ho country, at the time a political solution was being sought. And don't bellitle a response just 'cause you don't like the message, again it was not seen at the time as a defensive measure, unlike you they did not have the benefit of hindsight

No they had the benefit of foresight :rolleyes:

"We have suffered a total and unmitigated defeat...you will find that in a period of time which may be measured by years, but may be measured by months, Czechoslovakia will be engulfed in the Nazi régime. We are in the presence of a disaster of the first magnitude...we have sustained a defeat without a war, the consequences of which will travel far with us along our road...we have passed an awful milestone in our history, when the whole equilibrium of Europe has been deranged, and that the terrible words have for the time being been pronounced against the Western democracies: "Thou art weighed in the balance and found wanting". And do not suppose that this is the end. This is only the beginning of the reckoning. This is only the first sip, the first foretaste of a bitter cup which will be proffered to us year by year unless by a supreme recovery of moral health and martial vigour, we arise again and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time."

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
R

Rich

"Yet, none of those who engaged in the negotiations at Munich in 1938 – no matter what we may think of them today – had the privilege of being clairvoyant."

Good grief has this silly American not heard of Anschluss

Again you're clutching at straws, even if the had full knowledge of Anschluss, no one could have foreseen the horrific events that were to follow, again the benefit of hindsight.

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Again you're clutching at straws, even if the had full knowledge of Anschluss, no one could have foreseen the horrific events that were to follow, again the benefit of hindsight.

They were foreseen, decades earlier by the wording of the Treaty of Versailles if the Rhineland was remilitarised. The politicians at the time had all the hindsight they needed. It's not me clutching at straws.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
To bring the thread back to the shootings.

Paul - try and avoid Texas - it seems they have crazed gunmen there too

NASA gunman

Could one of the American posters say if it's possible for a tourist to buy a gun?

Col

R

Rich

To bring the thread back to the shootings.

Paul - try and avoid Texas - it seems they have crazed gunmen there too

Col

It would seem that the problem exists everywhere in the states, but since "guns don't kill" it would be best to avoid the people:eek:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
It would seem that the problem exists everywhere in the states, but since "guns don't kill" it would be best to avoid the people:eek:

It said on the BBC news last night that "America is grieving" for the 32 students killed:rolleyes:

I wonder if "America is grieving" for the 328 people killed by the gun since last monday. Or is it just selective grieving?
Maybe if say, >5 are killed in one place, that counts differently.

Col

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Today, 02:56
http://injuryprevention.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/13/1/15

There is a lot of confusion on these boards as to why americans own guns - so I though I would share this link -

Theres plenty with handguns for self defence - so clearly large parts of the US are so dangerous that the locals need a gun for their own safety.

Or the US has a lot of paranoids with guns.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
I don't share you conclusions Paul, it would appear that gun ownership is not as widespread as some posters would have us believe with two thirds of American homes having no gun at all, which, when one considers how many guns are held for sport, is a much higher figure than expected.

Brian

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Hi Brian , I clearly interpret the stats differantly to you.

38% of households and 57 million adults with a gun seems a lot to me.

40% are handguns and 46% percent for self protection.

Thats about what I would have guessed, but posts here from people in the US who have never met someone who owned a gun for protection made me look for stats.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
There was a reporter on ITV news last night that went to a gunshop in Virginia. They sold 200 guns per month ranging from little ones through to AK47 type.

He spoke to a chap who had a big machine gun type and asked why he needed it - the chap just said it was "fun". No-one he spoke to said the daily killings by the gun has any effect on their attitude to guns.

So as I said last week, once the funerals are over it's business as usual and nothing will change. In the meantime, 656 more people have been killed by the gun since yesterday week.

Paul - no US poster has yet clarified if a tourist can buy a gun for protection.

Col

Bodisathva

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:56
Paul - no US poster has yet clarified if a tourist can buy a gun for protection.
Then by all means, allow me:rolleyes:

The main focus of the question is "can" which does not specify legal or illegal purchase, so I'll stick with legal:
A buyer who is not a citizen of the United States must have lawful alien status and must establish that he or she is a resident of a state by providing a valid photo identification and documentation such as a utility bill or lease agreement which would establish that he or she has resided in the state for at least 90 days prior to the date of the sale.

Congress has passed prohibitions that apply to "any alien in the United States in a non-immigrant status" with certain exceptions and a waiver process. Contact the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives if you have questions about these regulations.

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Thanks - Can I hire one? (for protection - I guess I could go hunting with someone elses/hired gun?)

Could I not buy a collectors piece either - whats the reasoning for that?

Bodisathva

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:56
Thanks - Can I hire one? (for protection - I guess I could go hunting with someone elses/hired gun?)
Sure...gimme a call:cool:
Could I not buy a collectors piece either - whats the reasoning for that?
transportation. In your case, you would be transporting the item across state lines and out of the country... that's just as much a no, no as you bringing it back into the UK... but you already knew that...

of course, that may not be an issue if the firearm were rendered "useless". They do take cannons, etc. and pour concrete in the barrel so it can't be fired, perhaps a collector's piece could be rendered equally as ineffective (clogging the barrel, removing firing pins, etc), in which case you'd be trasporting "scrap"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom