Stock Control Conundrum (1 Viewer)

Mark-BES

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:00
Hi people,

I have an existing stock control database that has evolved over the years from the "Inventory Control" sample supplied with A97.

We (until now) supplied spares from one manufacturer. The spares items list was provided to us in an excel sheet and easy to append to a Access table.

We now want to supply spares for two new manufactures who also supply spares list in an excel sheet.

The problem:
All 3 manufactures excel sheets are very different in layout format of number etc. and approximately 30,000 lines in total.

The question(s):

> Do I spend ages messing around copy/paste into one "super excel sheet" then append to access or some how have 3 tables (one per manuf.) suppying to one form?

>Can access handle 30.000 records in one table? Maybe a silly Q. I presume very slow on search?

Any suggestions are very welcome.

ScottGem

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:00
30K records is not a problem.

What I would do is link to the Excel tables then do an Append from the Excel tables to your Access table. You can do your massaging of the data in the Append queries (one for each supplier).

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:00
Append queries don't work like cut and paste. An append query allows you to select fields from one recordsource (a table or a query) and append those fields to the indicated fields in another table. So the field order and field names are immaterial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom