Suggestions for transitioning from 2010 to 2013? (1 Viewer)

aaronb50

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:55
Man it seems like the company just went to 2010.........

I have a lot of programs in 2010 and just last week a user for a new program had 2013 and the program did not load correctly.

This is going to start to become a real issue and I want to try and get ahead of it now.

I'm sure there are plenty of other people that have had to do this already. Any suggestions?

My plan of action (that I'm making up as I go) so far is:

Get a second computer so I can run both 2010 and 2013.

Make a copy of all the front ends and convert them to 2013.

Hopefully I can make both the 2010 and the 2013 front ends talk to just one back end. I don't know if this possible yet.

Also I want to put in some code when a program loads up to see what version of Access they have and if they have the wrong one, tell them to get with me for an updated version. Can that be done?

I'll just run both versions until the mandatory upgrade date.

This seems like the best plan of attack for now.

Any suggestions?

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
the program did not load correctly.
As a definition of a problem, this is not very specific. I have customers that run different versions of Access, but we run the same program file and connect to the same BE successfully. I would explore this failure in greater detail and understand exactly what is going wrong so that the measures I take in response to it are more certain to be worth my while.

aaronb50

Registered User.
Local time
When I first showed up here I was creating DBs in 07. But it was not mandatory for everyone to have it. Any time someone with a lower version tried to access it, all the code would be wiped out and I would have to put up a new copy and find out who it was. The program forms were all still there, but all the code was just gone. So when we got the error last week with a new version, I thought oh no………… here we go again.

I noticed this time, the program was still intact, it just didn’t load correctly. It gave me an error I could track down but I’m trying to think a little bigger than just that one since I have about 16 of these out there and more to come before we all have to go to 13. I’m trying to solve the problem on a big scale vs one problem at a time.

You said you run different version of Access that all connect to the same BE, as long as I can do that, I think I’m good.

Or maybe you’re right. Maybe I should slow down and see if maybe it was just that one issue.

If you are running the same file on different versions just fine, maybe they fixed whatever was deleting the code and this time around it will go smoothly.

Maybe I’ll have just one or two small issues here and there.

Ok you convinced me. I’m still going to get the second computer but instead of assuming I have to make a second version of all the files, I’ll just run each program on the new computer with 13 and see what works and what doesn’t first.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 22:55
is the new users version 32bit or 64bit.

I cant think of any other reason why an A2010 dbs would not work in A2013

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 22:55
you can detect the version with application.version

A2003 is "11.0" - text, not a number, strictly
A2007 is "12.0"
A2010 is "14.0" - they skipped 13.0
A2013 is "15.0" etc.

aaronb50

Registered User.
Local time
Of Corse he is on vacation till the 18th.

I wont know till he gets back.

What difference is there between working with 32 vs 64?

So far I have not had any issues with that.

But its on my radar now to look out for.

aaronb50

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks jdraw.

This really jumped out at me "You can however still install multiple versons of office"

Can I have both office 2010 and 2013 on my computer at the same time?

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:55
I'm pretty sure you can. I think the deal is you have to install the lower version first.
Do some googling/youtube to see.

I have had 2003 and 2010 on same PC under Win 8.1. I have Ac2010 and an Office 365 Home account on this machine under windows 10.

aaronb50

Registered User.
Local time
Ok I'm going to have IT figure that out.

If they can get them both on my one computer great. If not they have to give me a second computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom