Tarrifs

I guess Mayorkas telling us they are out of money doesn't count.

$750 to citizens who lost their homes to a storm
$2000+ to criminals in the country illegally

Seems right to me.

You miss the reciprocal part. If they add tariffs to our exports, we add tariffs to the stuff we import from them. American car companies can't sell their cars in Germany and other European countries because the tariffs are so high that American cars are way more expensive than locally manufactured cars. If France has tariffs on California wines, then why shouldn't we add tariffs to their wines?
If we tariff goods from China, who pays the tariff? China or who? Simple question.

"Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas warned the Federal Emergency Management Agency does not have enough funding to cover the rest of the hurricane season."

My guess as to why he said that was they want to blame climate change. They can't say we are running out of money because of foolish spending on illegal immigration. After this election they will abandon the migrants and press for more climate spending.

If we tariff goods from China, who pays the tariff? China or who? Simple question.
It doesn't matter because it makes the items more expensive causing consumers to look for alternatives such as locally produced. Jon already explained this a month ago. Go back and read his explanation.

BTW Biden is still doing it, making it a bipartisan issue :)

Depends upon how the importers react. There are various routes they could go, depending on their current profit margin and supply chain options
I think you would have to be God to be certain who would end up paying what.

Nobody. People stop buying so much from China. (one possible result, which nobody can perfectly predict - not even you!)

It doesn't matter because it makes the items more expensive causing consumers to look for alternatives such as locally produced. Jon already explained this a month ago. Go back and read his explanation.

BTW Biden is still doing it, making it a bipartisan issue :)
Then why does Trump keep saying we will take in millions from the tariffs? Every economist I read, and it's a number of them, state that the importers pay the higher price and pass it on to the consumers.

Then why does Trump keep saying we will take in millions from the tariffs? Every economist I read, and it's a number of them, state that the importers pay the higher price and pass it on to the consumers.
Please do some research! You are not demonstrating that you understand the topic.

What Is A Tariff; Who Pays Tariffs, And What Are Their Impacts?
A tariff is a tax on imports, often known as a duty or a trade barrier. The purpose of a tariff is generally to protect domestic production and jobs, though economists say other domestic sectors and customers ultimately pay for tariffs. The U.S. has applied tariffs on imports for centuries, ...

When the US was young, government was small, before the industrial revolution, and before the income tax; one of the major revenue sources for the federal government was the tariff. Unfortunately, the word "tariff" has now become reviled to the point that there is little rationale discussion concerning the topic.

A Brief History of Tariffs in the United States
Tariffs in the Early United States

Among the first acts signed into law by the first Congress was The Tariff Act of 1789.[5] The Act had two purposes: (1) to promote trade, and (2) to raise revenue for the federal government.[6] Notably, Alexander Hamilton was a strong proponent of the legislation.[7] Hamilton viewed the Act as playing key roles in protecting the burgeoning American manufacturing sector from foreign competition and in promoting industrial growth over the long term.[8] This law was not without controversy,[9] but it eventually grew to be an important source of revenue for the federal government. It is estimated that in some years during the 19th Century, the tariff provided as much as 95% of the revenue for the federal government.[10] (emphasis added)

The Demise of the Tariff

In the early 1900’s, the adoption of the income tax [11] and the tremendous industrial expansion of the late 1800’s [12] undermined the historical justifications for the tariff in two ways: (1) the U.S. no longer needed the tariff to fund the federal government, and (2) the U.S. no longer needed to protect its industry from foreign competition.[13]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom