Vehicle Scrap Allaowance (1 Viewer)

Len Boorman

Back in gainfull employme
Local time
Today, 09:13
Now I know I am getting older but I must have missed something inthis scheme cos various people seem to think it is wonderful.
Let me explain

I have a 28 year old car. Had it from new, it has 48,000 miles on the clock. generally the wife drives it..... occassionally.

So if I part with it I will get £2000 minimum.

I must by a new car so lets say that is £10,000 so I only have to pay £8,000.

Hmmm think I will need a loan....... how secure is my job ?????.

When I take delivery of this new car its value drops immedialely cos it is now second hand and probably not worth the £8,000.

Now the "give away" by the government. They supply £1,000 but cos I am buying a new car they get back the car tax element.

Finally my 28 year old car is very green cos it only averages about 250 miles per year so its contribution to so called global warming is very small.

So

Where have I gone wrong in thinking that this car scheme is maybe not quite as grand as it seems.

L

statsman

Local time
Today, 04:13
On this side of the pond, the various levels of government are planning to pump billions into GM, Ford and Chrylser to keep them afloat.
Wouldn't it be a better idea if they just dropped all of their taxes and fees for 6 months.
Surely if each manufacturer sold 50,000 cars during this period that would keep them going.

Len Boorman

Local time
This scheme is a desperate attempt bythe government to stimulate the car business and persuade us with older vehicles to by new ones. It has worked well in germany, france and a few others.

There are various reasons.
1) These countries have a car industry whereby they actually make cars in the country. Ours is mainly imports that are then sold. Most of what we make (which is not a lot) is actually exported.

2) The deal on the continent was that you could by a car up to one year old.

I did see and interview from germany where they did admit that it wasa very short term thing because those that had changed their car would not do so again for some time.

I work for a company supplying parts to Jaguar and Land Rover.

I am sure I will trade my 28 year old at £2000 and buy a new Jag or LR. !!!!!!!!

L

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
The day the cabinet ministers wasted our tax money by sitting up in Glasgow, one of them ventured over to Perthshire to demonstrate one of the electric powered vehicles they are trying to promote. Firstly, the vehicle is imported from Amerca, secondly, there is only one place in Scotland they could refuel, and that is in Glasgow!

We have two vehicles, one is a 10 year old 3 series BMW which still works just fine, thank you very much and the other used to be a Range Rover Classic, it's unique in Scotland and there's no way that £2k would persuade us to part with it in favour of a scalectrix car!

RCheesley

Registered User.
Local time
Len,

While it may not be beneficial to you, it may be for others who have cars that are a similar age to yours but do large amounts of mileage and therefore are potentially a large burden on the environment.

You don't HAVE to get rid of your car - as you point out it's probably not a great idea for someone in your situation, however I average around 25000 miles a year in my P registration Nissan Primera, I dread to think what kind of pollution it causes.

Normally I wouldn't want to buy a new car, and would stick to second hand, however with the incentive scheme I might well consider down sizing to a smaller car (again better for the environment & my insurance!) which I guess would come in at around 4000-6000 after deducting the incentive thingoo. I certainly wouldn't get that kind of money for my car second hand.

Sure the amount they're offering isn't huge, but as the saying goes, it's better than a kick in the teeth?

Ruth

RCheesley

Registered User.
Local time
Forgot to add, I actually cycle the 6.5 miles to work on average 2-3 days per week anyway .... the mileage comes from treks up and down the motorway to the Lakes/Peaks/Wales for walking!

Ruth

Len Boorman

Local time
Ruth

I do not disagree at all with what you say. This will indeed benefit some people and most certainly better than a kick in the teeth.

My beef so to speak is that once again this government make headlines out of something they are doing but in truth they have watered it down so that it is well below the headline news. Okay so that is politics but this govenment do it so often that I think they think I am an idiot.

Okay they have no money cos they have spent it on a whole bunch of non productive projects.

So just tell me the true situation why you are doing something and the reason for the limits. Having no money is a good enough reason for not doing something. I want the government to stop treating me like a mushroom

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Forgot to add, I actually cycle the 6.5 miles to work on average 2-3 days per week anyway .... the mileage comes from treks up and down the motorway to the Lakes/Peaks/Wales for walking!

Ruth

You should live in a sensible area. :D

brian

PS nice stroll yesterday with the old folk, but got my head burnt. :mad:

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Okay they have no money cos they have spent it on a whole bunch of non productive projects.

Like taking the whole cabinet up North for a day out!! Which, by the way, I think should come out of the Labour Party funds because it was quite obviously a blatent attemtp at soliciting the Scottish vote, and you think they think YOU are stupid???

So just tell me the true situation why you are doing something and the reason for the limits. Having no money is a good enough reason for not doing something. I want the government to stop treating me like a mushroom

Having no money is a good enough reason if they're not just p1ssing it up against the wall! Face it, they often do. I'm sure no political party gets it 100% right, but I just can't get past the fact that they would waste so much on stupid little escapades while screaming at the public sector to pull in their belts because money is tight.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Today, 01:13
Scrapping cars is senseless. The level of toxic emissions from melting iron and steel of the scrapped vehicles far exceeds the amount of pollution the vehicle could possibly produce in 10 years or normal use. Maybe retrofit the ones that already exist with more efficient powerplants would give the industry a boost and help keep emissions in check.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom