What (software) am I missing? (1 Viewer)

vabki

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:40
I've built several Access applications in the past using 97 and then 2000. In those instances, the software was loaded on my machine by me with complete access to all the components. I learned that one could build a complete deployment package one time, and then "clone" the shortcuts, modifying them to point to additional .mdbs that shared the same general components (dlls/references).

Now, my desktop is "locked down", and upgrades come through the powers that be. The most recent upgrade/build of my machine installed Office 2002 components, and, of course, didn't include all the wizards, etc, needed to do my job.

I got access to some of the cd's and did what I thought was a complete install of Office 2002, and then had to return them to someone who no longer has them. Question 1 - Is Office 2002 more properly referred to as Office XP, and would I have installed the Developer version?

Now, I recently used access 2002 to develop another application, and am ready to deploy. I put it in our lab, where the workstation has the other (97/2000) apps running with the old runtimes, thinking there might or might not be issues. There were. Question 2 - what would be the label on the cd(s) that would have the 2002 application distribution wizard on it or all the additional software I need? If I install it (them) and build my deployment project, would the 2002 runtime that gets deployed allow the older applications to continue running? Or would I have to recompile and deploy the older applications again?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
1. Office 2002 is often referred to as Office XP.
2. No version of Office comes with the developer's edition. It needs to be purchased as a separate product.
3. I'm pretty sure that the XP runtime will run .mdb's/mde's created in older versions of Access.
4. The installations built by the package and deployment wizard are known to have conflicts with earlier Access retail/runtime versions. Search the knowledgebase for details.

vabki

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks.

I found the XP Developer cd, which also required the Windows Component Update 1.0 cd. I suppose your last item is intuitive, with MS' new approach to licensing everything. I've talked to my lab people, and we'll be experimenting once I have a 2002 deployment package available (so the other 2002 dependencies get loaded/updated).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom